New Member - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 22-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Hi,

Joined the other day as I found a couple of posts on the S4. I have been an Alfa owner for a number of years. First Alfa was the ‘new’ GTV which was a lot of fun but a bit of a struggle with the golf clubs. We bought a new 147 which my wife drives
and thinks is brilliant. (also takes the golf clubs!). As my work is predominately overseas I do not need a car in the UK so I sold my armchair ( boring Lexus) and bought what I always wanted…an S4 spider which I have owned for 4 years. I do minor servicing myself and anything else is done by Bianco in Sussex. I have to say that my interest in modern cars has somewhat waned.
Other interesting cars that I have owned include; Triumph Vitesse convertible, Mini Cooper S, Lotus Elan S4, Scimitar SE4 & 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Re: New Member

Welcome to the site, I too use Bianco

Last edited by alfaholic; 24-06-06 at 12:03.
mikebrown

welcome to AO dude..all the best

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

hello and welcome.....
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Welcome to AO.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

33 156 164

Welcome Renone, how do you find your S4 compared to the Elan ?
AO Gold Member

County: -

Welcome Renone

If the Cooper S was an original mini..they were one wild car in their time.
I used to have a 1963 Mini 850 with a Cooper S powerplant and 850 badge on the back...
used to scare a few people
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 23-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider S4

The S4 is a refined car in comparison to the Elan. The most noticeable differences being reliability, comfort and handling. On the reliability issue the S4 wins hands down ….imagine having to change the spark plugs for town driving and country driving! You needed to tinker with the Elan constantly to keep it running just right and then you were rewarded with amazing performance and handling. I do recall it having a habit of the back really snapping in the wet! As my Elan ownership was about 28 years ago ( time flies when you are having fun) the comfort issue was not so much of a problem. I do recall it getting oven hot inside and thinking after a very rapid drive to Le Mans that I am going to have to be lifted out. In this respect the S4 is a pleasure to take on a long drive. I know people will say the wind noise is bad at speed plus there is scuttle shake but for me that adds to the convertible experience.
I know that people are always making comparisons between the S4 and Elan, but in my opinion they are two different animals. I would have no problem commuting on a daily basis with the S4 but I would want some serious suspension and brake mods before taking it on the track……not so much the case with the Elan. Despite my love of the Elan put them side by side and you can say the Elan is a pretty car, but just check out the lines on the S4!!!!!!!!!
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 23-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori
Welcome Renone

If the Cooper S was an original mini..they were one wild car in their time.
I used to have a 1963 Mini 850 with a Cooper S powerplant and 850 badge on the back...
used to scare a few people
It was a 1964 Cooper 1275S Mk1......and yes it was quick!
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 23-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider S4

The S4 is a refined car in comparison to the Elan. The most noticeable differences being reliability, comfort and handling. On the reliability issue the S4 wins hands down ….imagine having to change the spark plugs for town driving and country driving! You needed to tinker with the Elan constantly to keep it running just right and then you were rewarded with amazing performance and handling. I do recall it having a habit of the back really snapping in the wet! As my Elan ownership was about 28 years ago ( time flies when you are having fun) the comfort issue was not so much of a problem. I do recall it getting oven hot inside and thinking after a very rapid drive to Le Mans that I am going to have to be lifted out. In this respect the S4 is a pleasure to take on a long drive. I know people will say the wind noise is bad at speed plus there is scuttle shake but for me that adds to the convertible experience.
I know that people are always making comparisons between the S4 and Elan, but in my opinion they are two different animals. I would have no problem commuting on a daily basis with the S4 but I would want some serious suspension and brake mods before taking it on the track……not so much the case with the Elan. Despite my love of the Elan put them side by side and you can say the Elan is a pretty car, but just check out the lines on the S4!!!!!!!!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

33 156 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by renone
The S4 is a refined car in comparison to the Elan.
That's a really comprehensive reply, thank you !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags

« Newbie post | 156 »