Poor life span on GT discs and pads - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 07-06-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

GT 1.9JTD

Not Happy Poor life span on GT discs and pads

I have a 2004 GT and had to replace both the discs and pads after on 24000 miles.

Has anyobe out there had the same problem and did you get any satisfaction from the dealership?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: -
Re: Poor life span on GT discs and pads

Sounds about right...soft discs and soft pads equal soft wallet.... as no money inside to stiffen it up

Get a good set of aftermarket disks and pads and scare yourself with the extra breaking force
AO Silver Member

Yes - I brought my GT in for its first main service two months ago (the car was bought new in jan 2005 and has only done 7,000 miles) They told me that both the front discs needed to be replaced as there were severe ridges on them. Now I don't drive the car hard and its not used often even so i was amazed by what they said.
Obviously the discs are to be done under warranty but the dealer has not got back to me yet as to when they will do it.

Last edited by Alfaguy; 07-06-06 at 13:06.
AO Silver Member

County: South Lanarkshire

It may be a new model but why should the parts department at the factory change the habits of a lifetime?
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

A lot of garages will say you need them when you don't, my dealer said I had pretty bad wear and when I looked it was pretty good considering the trackdays and would have lasted thousands of miles more but I was getting a grinding at the front and some binding at the rear, looking at the front pads they had a lot of life but I guess the material was contributing to the noise, the pads had cracked up, so I chnaged them anyway for DS2500 and did the discs too for some drilled/grooved to see if it would be any better this was at about 19k I would have expected them to last a lot longer if I hadn't done trackdays.
AO Platinum Member

I've had the disks and pads changed once already on the 156. On June 12th she's going in for ANOTHER set of disks They seem to wear like crazy, but while she's still under warranty I get the garage to cover the costs.

Edit: should be under warranty TBH - 24k miles aint that much.
AO Silver Member

I think 20-25K for a set of front discs is not unacceptable but slightly dissappointing. I've seen far less on Golf GTI's and more recently on a 20VT(3 sets in 48K..albiet once for warpage only) and I wore out 2 sets of discs on a Discovery in 39K miles. You don't neccessarily get good performance and longevity from braking components.......One of my business clients is on his second set of discs in a 911 after only 14K!.......
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire

Hi Harleyriv, had my discs & pads changed early on 2800mls - warrenty issue - excessive squeeking.

but have now done about 33200 miles on the second set - GT goes in for 36k tomorrow so I will wait & see if i need new ones

fingers crossed!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
discs , life , pads , poor , span