Alfa Forever - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 31-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Vaud
Alfa Forever

Hello to all you Alfa nuts out there! Would appreciate some advice please!

I 've had my 2004 166 2.0TS Lusso (New nose) for almost year now and as Clarkson said "God I love this car". It replaced a much loved '02 plate 156 2.0TS which I had for 3 years.

I got a stunning deal from an Alfa main dealer - it cost 13,995 was less than a year old and had 6k on the clock. Build quality of the 166 is much better than the 156 and despite the 100kg weight disadvantage, its still pretty quick, although you need to give it plenty of revs......always a pleasure and I never tire of that rasp that kicks in around 5,000rpm. Would have like to get the 3.2 but couldn't get that past the wife.

I've had VW's, Audis, etc. and I have to say I was a little concerned about Alfa's reliability. However, both cars have been really excellent and have not let me down at all. Regular servicing and top-ups with Selenia are all that's required (living in Cheshire we have access to a pretty good independent Alfa dealer so servicing is good)

That said, the 156 developed a strange "droning" noise at around 20k miles...at first I thought it was bearing issues....further investigation found that the tyres had worn like 50p pieces and the matter was cured with 4 new treads....not a cheap fix......

Low and behold, the 166 has developed a similar noise at 21k miles! Again the bearings are fine but there was some differential wear on the rears, which despite having 4mm of tread left were replaced at a cost of 250 only yesterday (I know they can be hard on rears). Fronts which were new recently were balanced, but noise is still there.

However, I think I can trace the 166 issue back to the mother of all pot holes...but its taken 2-3k miles to raise its head. The guys at our local tyre joint reckon the front n/s wheel is slightly buckled and that took the brunt of the impact. I am going to get them to swap the fronts to the back tomorrow to see if that has any effect......not sure if you can get buckled alloys repaired or whether it will be a 170 hit for a new alloy?

Has anyone else had similar 166 tyre wear/suspension issues?

Despite this annoyance, I can't get angry with the beast. It was treated to a polish earlier and that Odyssey Blue paintwork is gleaming.....the BM and Audi clowns will be treated to a display of Italian style complete with Xenons a blazing firing down the M56 to work tomorrow morning.

Anyway, I'm thirsty, pass me that Peroni.

Ciao.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: Alfa Forever

hello mate and welcome to AO

first things first.....peroni ....top drop

second if you cut and paste ur questions and post them in a new thread in the 166 section they will get a lot more exposure this can be found here--
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/f90/

welcome again
mikebrown

again welcome mate..and hope you get the problem sorted

AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Lovely car, glad you like it. 166 suspension is notoriously fragile, however, so it's not too surprising - probably was that pothole. Check out the 166 sections and I'm sure you can be helped. Welcome!
AO Member

Welcome to AO let us know how you get on with your 166
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 01-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Fellas,

Got the local Kwik-fit beauts to swap fronts for rears....has improved things a bit, probably because of resonance on bucked/potholed alloy no longer going up through front suspension.....but still getting some "droning". Its definitely that frigging pot holed wheel.

Mangoletsi will be getting an order for a new 17" alloy tomorrow and I'm then going down to Bedford to p*ss all over the Council's road and hghways department to thank them for costing me 500 nicker.......
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 09-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thumbs Up Re: Alfa Forever

Fellas,

New alloy has solved the problem. It seems buckled wheel caused the issue.

Test drove a 159 2.4JTDM today. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzze what grip. Its certainly a beast. The huys at Mangolesti tried their best to tease me in to buying one, but the 166 is loved too much and I need the bigger boot.
mikebrown

glad to hear u have eventually got it sorted..agree with u..keep ur 166 and the 159 for another day !!

Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Welcome to AO!

Please keep enjoying your 166.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
alfa , forever