1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio Convertible - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 17-05-06

Member car:

1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Qu

1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio Convertible

Hello All,
I am considering buying a 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio Convertible and would like your advice please.

The auto has only had two owners and has about 63k miles on it currently. Other than some minor dings, the auto is supposed to be in good shape.

I don't know very much about these cars. I'm concerned about reapir costs if and when something major does go wrong. The seller is asking $5999 for it. Can anyone elaborate on what I can expect in terms of thigns to goi wrong and reapair expenses. I would imagine find parts in junkyards in the states might not be so easy.

Any advice is appreciated!
Cheers
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 17-05-06
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Re: 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio Convertible

Welcome to AO, I'm sure the Spider guys will be along soon
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 17-05-06
AO Member

Member car:

Spider & Sportwagon

Hi David, I hve recently bought a Spider and found the GTV / Spider guide in the Brera, GTV & Spider forum very useful, gives all the main points to look for. I've tried to put a link below, but am a newbie. I am sure someone who knows what they are doing will be along soon

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 17-05-06
AO Member

Member car:

Spider & Sportwagon

Just realised you are getting an auto, on a Italian sportscar , that just ain't natural.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 18-05-06
AO Silver Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

David,

Parts-wise there are some suppliers out there. There are two biggies:
http://www.international-auto.com/ (These people have lots of my money. They're very nice and helpful and friendly if you call them up on the phone to ask newbie questions as well.)
http://www.centerlinealfa.com/ (Also very reputable and pretty good on the phone.)

Depending on what state you're in, there might be better/closer suppliers. If you head over to www.alfabb.com there is a pinned list of parts suppliers.

Generally mechanical parts are easier to find than trim (or body) pieces, so try to find the cleanest, most complete example possible.

Rust is an issue with any older car, despite the fact that every seller will tell you theirs is a "California car that has never seen rain/snow/salt." If you're buying a car to drive, try to find a good one. If you are buying a car to restore, you can afford to find a few bad spots (although all said and done, mine wasn't too bad, except for the door sills/rocker panels, but you pretty much have to expect that those will be bad.)

I think markvrs misread your post. The GTV/Spider buyers' guide is for cars we never got on our side of the pond, and I'm sure you mean auto as in automobile rather than automatic transmission. BTW the gearboxes can be a bit of an issue. You want to find the smoothest one possible. Some gear (normally 2nd) can be a bit crunchy. Again, if you're looking to buy a model and drive it away with no work look for smooth changes. If you're buying a car to rebuild and fix, then a rougher synchro may not be an issue for you.

On AO the Classics Lounge is where we discuss the old stuff, but the traffic down there is pretty light, especially compared to that other forum I mentioned above. Still, we try to help when we can. You might find it helpful to dig around there and see what we've discussed in the past.

I'm not as up on the American market as I am on the Canadian one, but I'd guess $6,000 is a bit on the low side for a really good, clean, driver. I would guess a car at that price would need a bit of work and show some wear and tear, but then again, you might just have found somebody who wants to sell quickly.
--Toronto
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 18-05-06
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

Originally Posted by Toronto Spider
.. and I'm sure you mean auto as in automobile rather than automatic transmission ..
As far as I know the first automatic transmission on a spider was on the series 4 spider
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 13-05-12

County: Ohio

Member car:

BMW

Removable hardtop 88 spyder quad

I have a removable hardtop for a 1988 alfa spyder quadrifoglio for sale. If anyone is interested in it let me know. Im in Hilton Head.
Jim olejt@aol.com 440-477-1001

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
1988, alfa, convertible, quadrifoglio, romeo, spider

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
1997 alfa romeo gtv...
Alfa Romeo 145
Alfa Romeo 147 1.9...
2004 alfa romeo 156...
61 alfa romeo mito...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Alfa 159

View paul.o's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
AO Club Members have access to more site features.

Click Here to compare the differences.

New To Site? Need Help?