Big Man Buys His First Alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 43 Old 08-05-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

GT

Wave Big Man Buys His First Alfa

HI EVERYONE
thought i would join up as i have just purchased my first Alfa - infact i have a Gt 1.9 Multi jet diesel chipped up to 180 BHP in Dijon
Blue.

Have always been an Audi - BMW - Merc man but wanted something
different and economical , mate recommended an Alfa so i went to
SMARTALFA near Dunstable and the guys let me take one out. I loved
it and decided to buy one .
Checked out all the web trying to get a better deal than SMARTALFA
were doing but noboby could beat them - they even put my old car
on E-Bay and sold for 1000 more than the trade were offering for it.

Ned the owner of SMARTALFA (comes across as a right misery but he
is infact a really top guy ) had the car ready for collection on time
and just did what he said he would do - nice refreshing change to
being given aload of flannel by garages.

I have only done 500 miles so far but i am wearing the biggest grin
every time i get behind the wheel - this GT has made driving fun again.
I am beginiing to love this thing as much as my Aprillia Mille RSV R
track tuned racing motorbike !!!

Thanks to my mate stevie for pointing me in the Alfa direction , and to Ned at Smartalfa for convincing me to buy one and making it as painless as possible ( when it comes to spending money it always hurts )

Look out for the Dijon Blue GT in Bucks and Berks !!

Big Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Re: Big Man Buys His First Alfa

funny that isnt it, again we see Smart Alfa on this site getting slated a little bit and then out of the blue, a very satisfied customer of Smart Alfa appears and tells everyone how ''great'' Smart Alfa and its boss is...
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange
funny that isnt it, again we see Smart Alfa on this site getting slated a little bit and then out of the blue, a very satisfied customer of Smart Alfa appears and tells everyone how ''great'' Smart Alfa and its boss is...
Yeah, its very odd, particularly as they often make the same spelling mistake (its in fact not infact).
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

welcome
AO Silver Member

Hi

Glad you are happy with the GT - its a right little entertainer alright. Hope your onership experience is a pleasant as mine has been.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Welcome Big Man and don't pay too much attention to the SA jibes.

Unfortunately SA don't get great press on here but if you, like me, are a genuinely satisfied SA GT purchaser then they can't be all bad. I found Ned Kirkham ok (if a little stressed) and frankly he couldn't do enough for us (we had to fly down from Scotland to pick up ours).

But enough of this tosh - the cars are great and infact( ) so are all the members on this forum.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange
Aye, and it's usually me you freshly squeezed git. In fact (or is it infact) I should be charging them for the support (a bit like Newcastle United).....
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
In fact (or is it infact)
Believe me, its "in fact". I should know, I'd written "infact" in my MSc thesis about 500 times, and had to change them all before submission, and that was before the advent of "find and replace". I'm rubbish at spelling, but one thing I do know is how to spell "in fact".
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg
Believe me, its "in fact". I should know, I'd written "infact" in my MSc thesis about 500 times, and had to change them all before submission, and that was before the advent of "find and replace". I'm rubbish at spelling, but one thing I do know is how to spell "in fact".
You're probably right Gary. But how about senseofhumour did you use that in you dissertation, too

Sorry mate, couldn't resist it...
AO Silver Member

Big man, who did the "chip work" for you?
(Post Link) post #11 of 43 Old 09-05-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

GT

Mr Orange
i can only tell you what happened to me on my purchase - i was told of the Alfa site buy SmartAlfa and asked to put my honest thoughts in.
if anybody would like to speak to me about my comments please give me a call on 01296 632330 or 07745 867288 ( Stuart Friel ) cheers.
(Post Link) post #12 of 43 Old 09-05-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

GT

Hi Will
i drove the car for 2 days with the normal 150 BHP chip fitted , went back and they fitted the upgrade piggyback chip in 10 minutes.
They then let me drive around for 30 mins to let me make my own mind up to see if i wanted it ( wallet came straight out ! ).

Engine revs quicker - gives more torque a lower revs ( still a slight lag
upto 1250 rpm ) takes off like a rocket after that.
well worth the cash - you really , really notice the change in performance.

shame your so far away as i would have met up and let you have have a drive.

Big man
(Post Link) post #13 of 43 Old 09-05-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

GT

Hi Gary
A couple of things:
I have put down what my purchasing experience was like - i was told about Alfa owners.com by smartalfa that is all , i wrote down my own honest thoughts and feelings.

When i bought my Aprillia Mille RSV R i joined the Aprillia club , at no time have i seen anbody pick fault with another members spelling ( it is about contacting like minded souls isn't it ? ) i hope there are
people who get out more than yourself in the owners club.

still love my GT

Big man
(Post Link) post #14 of 43 Old 09-05-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

GT

Thanks Paul

join a members club and get pulled up on your spelling ?
THEY REALLY HAVE GOT TO GET OUT MORE

Big Man
(Post Link) post #15 of 43 Old 09-05-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

GT

Will
SmartAlfa fitted it - made by an Austrian company

Big man
(Post Link) post #16 of 43 Old 09-05-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

GT

Thanks Alfaguy
I had to sell my Jaguar XJ8 sport because needed to buy the wife a new bigger car ( 1st Baby due in 6 months ) - so glad i had to because The GT has made me realise how much fun driving can be again !!!!

Big Man
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG MAN
Hi Gary
When i bought my Aprillia Mille RSV R i joined the Aprillia club , at no time have i seen anbody pick fault with another members spelling ( it is about contacting like minded souls isn't it ? ) i hope there are
people who get out more than yourself in the owners club.

still love my GT

Big man
Big Man, as Mr O and others have noted, this site has sometimes been the victim of various underhand marketing techniques. I'm sure you'd think it odd if you noted a number of suspicious posts which were supposed to be from different people, but had the same spelling mistake. As I noted in my posts, I'm hardly the world's best speller, as you will see if you hang around here long enough. As far as 'infact' is concerned, if you'd had to correct it in the same manner I had to I'm sure you would have a complex about it too - I still have nightmares about it Having said that, you do seem a touch sensitive about the subject (two posts), care to share with us why? Anyway, I'm going out now, I may be some time

Last edited by Gary Slegg; 09-05-06 at 16:30.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Am I the only one who thinks it strange that Big Man came on the scene after a few negative posts about Smart Alfa, saying how great they are, and then hasn't posted anything more???

I'm sure some people might think that Smart Alfa have a watching brief, responding to any critical posts by posting favourable ones - although of course I couldn't possibly think that
AO Platinum Member

What gets me is that anyone would post an 'introduction' to themselves which just drones on about how great they think Smart Alfa are, and not think it looks suspicious!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg
What gets me is that anyone would post an 'introduction' to themselves which just drones on about how great they think Smart Alfa are, and not think it looks suspicious!
Or it might just be that you've made the bloke feel so unwelcome with your judgemental comments that he can't be bothered coming back. It nearly happened to me as I first came to AO to ask about SA. I received the same flaming from people who didn't know me from Adam but fortunately the person who recommended me to AO pointed out I was genuine and apologies were (grudgingly) offered.
AO Platinum Member

Well, disapearing having posted such a curious introduction doesn't make me any less suspicious I'm afraid.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
It nearly happened to me as I first came to AO to ask about SA. I received the same flaming from people who didn't know me from Adam but fortunately the person who recommended me to AO pointed out I was genuine and apologies were (grudgingly) offered.
Sorry you couldn't point that out could you so I can read it all in context?

The first thread about Smart Alfa seems to be the one querying if the ceased trading and I couldn't see any kind of flaming addressed to you on that one - merely to the chap who was working at SA.

The only thing I noticed from your earlier post was when I think yoyu were trying to be light hearted, but it was probably mis-construed by some people.

However, I personally think that Big Mans introduction does read like an advert for SA - although I'm sure you're accept that I am entitled to take this view even if you don't agree with it.
AO Platinum Member

Crikey, I've just put the words Smart and Alfa into the search system and some of the threads that have come up make very interesting reading.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Slegg
Sorry you couldn't point that out could you so I can read it all in context?
I've tried searching for my first post but unfortunately it won't go back as far as May 2005. But essentially I was directed to AO by AROC. I had placed an order through SA and I was about to collect the car. I was being asked by SA to pay the balance before collecting the car and I was bit nervous. Basically I was depressed with what I read but decided on a leap of faith and off I went to get my car. Surprise, surprise and everything worked out well and I posted positive comments on AO - just to add a bit of balance to all the negative stuff- I mean fairs fair , no?

You're right, you are entitled to your opinion. this is after all an open forum. But what is not fair is to condemn someone without proof and it most certainly is not very welcoming to receive such a reception on very first post. By all means criticise if a member frequently tries to advertise but at least wait 'til they are a proven culprit.

Finally, companies like SA would stand little chance of survival if the so called authorised dealerships put up half the service their market competitors do. It's all supply and demand!

Me, well, I got a great car at a great price and apart for the very long wait, great service. 'nuff said.

"The Drivel Devil'

"On a scale of one to ten, with ten being a sensitive, new-age man and one being a chimp throwing faeces, I'd put you more towards the monkey axis"

- Lips
AO Platinum Member

Will, to be honest I don't really think Big Man received a hostile reception. Mr Orange raised a legitimate concern regarding whether Big Man was a plant, and I noted that there did seem to be similarities with Big Man's post and some others. If you read Big Man's post it does come across more as an advert. After all, Big Man is supposed to be introducing himself to us, but he tells us more about Smart Alfa then he does about himself. Perhaps I'm becoming cynical in my old age

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
alfa , big , buys , man