Big Man Buys His First Alfa - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

Unregistered

Re: Big Man Buys His First Alfa

I agree with Will on this one....

Big Man said he had heard that AO gives SA bad press...he was happy and they probably pointed out to him to give a good review..which he did, but maybe a bit to enthusiastic..which even to my laid back..approach to things seems a bit suspect.

So chance first....then say it how you see it...

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

wrinx

..and we now have another, almost identical post from someone else....and the poster is reading this thread as I type

Cynical....me?

wrinx

AO Platinum Member

Well, I think the Smart Alfa employees who appear to monitor this forum should asks themselves what sort of an impression this gives about their company if they are in fact responsible for these posts.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Isn't there a way of monitoring the IP address of the poster?

If SA's employees are using the 'company computer' wouldn't that show?

It is funny how many people there are who join the forum, post a thread on how fantastic SA are, and are then never heard of again.
wrinx

I'm not convinced it's employees and we can (and do!) monitor IPs for this kind of nonsense, such as duplicate log-ins.

I think these may be genuine customers who have been pointed in this direction...and asked to post nice things.

It's still ADVERTISING to cover past bad behaviour. I wouldn't mind if it was natural unprompted feedback...but it's not is it

It does nothing for the company's reputation using tactics such as this, best idea is to stop spamming in whatever form, improve their service and let nature take it's course. Then people will notice for the RIGHT reasons.

wrinx

AO Platinum Member

You might be right Wrinx, although I'd be suprised if many customers would bother joining the forum and posting a +ve message if they weren't going to contribute on a long term basis, unless they received some type of benefit of course. Neither Big Man nor the more recent chap had put any information on their user profiles, and it is obvious that both the current Smart Alfa, and its previous incarnation did have people who monitored the site.
AO Silver Member

County: -

..the scent of a rodent is definitely present..
AO Silver Member

It perhaps says something about human nature when a negative post about an organisation is never questioned but a positive one always is.

When I picked up my car from SA I mentioned to the MD that I was on AO and had read some bad stuff about them. He acknowledged that he was aware of it and indeed told me he jad tried to put his own view across (quite openly using his own name) but had been flamed. He did not try to influence me in any way but did say he would appreciate my comments on how I found the firm. I did and that's that.

I am a genuine customer and a genuine AO member. I do exist and have attended AO meets and GTV meets. I have had the pleasure of making friends with the likes of Fraser, Mr O, Roswell and a host of others. It may well be the case that like Terry Wogan's listening public I am SA's only satisfied customer in the history of the entire world. But a satisfied customer I am and that is more than can be said for most of those who frequent bonafide Alfa franchises in the UK.

"The Drivel Devil'

"On a scale of one to ten, with ten being a sensitive, new-age man and one being a chimp throwing faeces, I'd put you more towards the monkey axis"

- Lips
AO Platinum Member

Yes Will, and I don't think anyone would argue that customers of Smart Alfa who are satisfied shouldn't post and tell us of their experiences. You've stuck around and so we can see that you are who you say you are. However, searching the Forum reveals instances whereby some rather suspicious posts have been made by people who give zero background information about themselves, and who are then never heard off again. These tend to coincide with other post where people tell us of their disatisfaction with Smart Alfa. Some people might think this is a coincidence, whereas others may not.

Some Forums do allow advertising by companies, but this one much to its credit doesn't. If you run a business and were aware that many people (whether it be a minority or majority) were upset with your business practices, what would you do?

In every step, I hear your sobbing
Dare I break the shade with one caress
Dare I trespass to lift the veil
To touch the lips so soft and frail

It may be that love comes once and once only, preceded by rehersal, followed by regret.

Know well that however right a man may be they always find the fallen one guilty.

All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg
If you run a business and were aware that many people (whether it be a minority or majority) were upset with your business practices, what would you do?
I would hope that I'd be "smart" enough not to be so obvious when getting people to write in and support me.
AO Platinum Member

Unregistered

Can I say I was very happy with Lisles of Hitchin?

Just thought I would ask just in case others were not so happy....

on a forum such as this there needs to be balance....

perhaps Big Man was a happy SA purchaser, and got what he wanted and as Will said, SA did point out it would be nice for customers to post good comments about them for a change...

The poor guy was shot down...and unlike Will may be totally disheartened by the way he was treated...

I don't think there is a person on this forum that has had totall satisfaction with dealers and car service throughout their motoring life...I could name quite a few companies that have shafted me..

Just suppose SA do get their act together and are operating responsibly, and are meeting the publics needs....it means there will be more and more happy punters....

Are people on here REALLY saying they dont want to hear it and chase these people away..

Wrinx: You do need to keep an eye on things agreed..and you do want to stop unwanted advertising...But I do feel perhaps a new member statement in your e-mail for registration..you could point out what is acceptable and not acceptabe regarding this point...and warn that SA comments may be deleted if seen to addressed in a manner that implies advertising......and the reasons for that.

That way people on here are not hostile and bully innocent people who have just said that they were happy because SA asked them to.

After all, any self employed person would always tell you its the word of mouth that is the reall money earner...so if you do a good job, you want the happy customer to refer you, or point out what a great job you did to others....and thats what SA are doing.

Thats why I tell people I meet with Alfa's about the AO site..

Chris
wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b

Wrinx: You do need to keep an eye on things agreed..and you do want to stop unwanted advertising...But I do feel perhaps a new member statement in your e-mail for registration..you could point out what is acceptable and not acceptabe regarding this point...and warn that SA comments may be deleted if seen to addressed in a manner that implies advertising......and the reasons for that.

Chris
Can't see any point in doing that as it would stop GENUINE off the cuff (and not "joined to comment") posts. Everyone agrees to a non-advertising cluase by signing up and using the forum...that's why it's against the rules!

Nobody wants to stop positive comments about any company as it would benefit us all to have that knowledge....BUT, we're all a bit tired of being spammed in various ways by SA.

I guess it will take a while to die down....but this is exactly why we have the no-advert rule!

wrinx

AO Platinum Member

Chris, with all due respect I don't think you can really say that Big Man was "shot down". As I've mentioned before, Mr O raised a legitimate concern, and I pointed out a similarity to other posts. At the very least Big Man's reaction was rather extreme, and I would question why this was.

I'm sure we would all be delighted if SA have got their act together, and I for one would have no problem when people post about their geniune experiences with a supplier.

I should also point out that Wrinx posted what could be termed a positive post on SA side when, in another thread, he pointed out that buying an Alfa from SA did not negate Alfa's warantee.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:

The poor guy was shot down...and unlike Will may be totally disheartened by the way he was treated...

Chris
Chris, sorry but could you kindly point out where, up to his last post, you think Big Man was 'shot down'?

No post was 'rude' to him, but people merely raised a legitimate point of concern i.e. are the 'good' posts about SA actually made by independant people or not?

There are a number of +ve posts about them which all appear to have a similar manner - and then in a similar manner the thread starters all seem to disappear after not posting very much more. For example, look at the recent thread entitled 'Smart Alfa Sales'. As with Big Mans, to me it reads more like an advert rather than a genuine post by someone saying 'Oh, just got an Alfa from SA, was pleased with their service and price'.

If genuine customers are happy with SA then of course they should post about their experience. However, SA were, up to when I last looked on their web-site, quoting from Autocar which quote would have been about a previous re-incarnation of(or indeed the original) SA and not about the current company using that trading name. Furthermore, they have pictures of 'satisfied' customers and its unclear how old those photo's are, and what actual 'version' of SA they relate to.

On a photography web forum I used to visit there was once a post by someone about a camera I was thinking about getting. This person slagged it of chronically saying how cr*p the auto-focus was and how bad it performed in low light conditions. However, when others who had also used the camera challenged him to post his pictures with the exif data embeded he was unable to do so - why? - because he was actually from a rival manufacturer and had never owned the camera.

So, I'm sorry if Big Man felt 'shot down' - although I personally don't consider he had any reason to be. However, if people don't question things then we'll all end up believing a load of BS - such as why red paint cost more
Unregistered

Hmmm!

Pulling him on his spelling...
Wandering if he worked for SA
Querying why he posted..etc

I know lets find out where he lives and burn him...he is a heretic.
All I am saying....we as a forum were hardly freindly were we......

Like I said give people a chance...if he was a SA probe (ooh er) then sooner or later it would have been obvious, and then go for the throat....

What red paint costs more..!! no way

Chris
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Hmmm!
Wandering if he worked for SA
Don't you mean Wondering
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg
Don't you mean Wondering

Oh pooh....!!

you have sussed me I work for SA

Chris

Only Joking by the way..I got my car on time...

Chris

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
alfa , big , buys , man