New Alfa owner Dublin - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 19-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
New Alfa owner Dublin

Howdy all, just got me a red 156 2.0TS Lusso with 48k on on the clock. Not bad for a 1999 model. It was used by his wife as a second car.
Was warned by everyone I know not to buy an alfa unless I was particularly attracted to headaches! Nonetheless I went forward and bought an Alfa and it puts a smile on my face every morning, that wooden steering wheel really does it for me. It will still need to prove itself to me over the next year or so though for reliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

EddieGTA

Re: New Alfa owner Dublin

Welcome to the forum. Most people that warn you not to get an alfa have never even been in one! I am on my third alfa and happy to report that far from headaches all of mine have been reliable and always put a smile on my face.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Howdy!
There are some real bargins to be had with these cars. That's got a lovely low mileage!

Don't forget about the timing belt and tensioners, these have to be replaced at around 35k or so, so if it wasn't done already, book it in ASAP!!!
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 19-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Cheers for the welcome!
First thing i did was change the timing belt and tensioners. According to the service history the belt was never changed but my mechanic said that the belt was still in good condition when he replaced it, anyway at least I have a piece of mind now. Really happy with the drive but there are a few niggly things like idling all over the place (mechanic cleaned the throttle house/butterfly valve but its no better) the sidelight H6W light went so I ordered another online from powerbulbs, and running temperature seems a bit low 60-70 degrees in bad traffic it goes to 85-90 degrees. Maybe thats correct? I gues the Alfa is a battle between the heart and head!
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 TS

Welcome DubiousDude, good to see another Dublin head on. I'm a first timer too!
They all say alfa's are rubbish until they drive them!!
....sound like you need a new thermostat (just like mine does) It should run at 90 consistently. Mine sits at about 60 or 70 too and only hits 90 in traffic......now that I think of it, given the f**&ing traffic arounf here that means it IS running at 90 consistently!!
Good luck with it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
alfa , dublin , owner