156 2.5 V6 Fuel Gauge - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 15-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
156 2.5 V6 Fuel Gauge

Hello All,

Just signed up to this, new to the whole forum thing....

Loving my Alfa 156 2.5 V6....except the annoying fuel gauge. It seems to be all over the place. One minute its registering on a quarter of the tank then im driving for about 5 mins and the light comes on!! Also when i park and start the car up i seem to get a different reading if i park on a slight gradient. Im not heavy footed and i drive it quite conservatively. Im quite tempted to just drive it until it runs out of fuel and have a jerry can in the boot!

Am i the only one experiencing this or is this a common scenario?

If anyone has got any suggestions or even to tell me 'tuff luck, its a V6!!"

Cheers people, hope you can advise before im declared bankrupt!! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 62
County: Greater Manchester
Re: 156 2.5 V6 Fuel Gauge

My 2.0 JTS does the same but only occasionally, the trip computer tells me I've got a range of something ridiculous like 700 miles when i know for a fact that there's something like a quarter of a tank left even though the guage says three quarters full, bonkers.

I read somewhere that there may have been a recall for this fault, there is also a website somewhere which lists every recall and date for every model of car but I can't remember what the web address was. Sorry that's a bit vague but you're not alone having a schizophrenic fuel guage

Oh and welcome to AO
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 15-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

[B][I]Hello fella, thanks for the reply.
Good to know im not alone.....need to get it sorted though its doing my nut in! I know we all need fuel but i do need it to be accurate!!

Thanks again.

If i find that site i will keep you posted
AO Member

County: Cumbria

Mines a bit like that. 300 miles to get to half. Another 50 miles to quarter full. Then 10 miles to light on. I just fill up around quarter full.
Si
AO Member

Mines the same, whenever i get just below the quarter tank mark.

One minute it can be just under a quarter tank and then the next minute the light is on and barely registering and then back again.

Bit alarming when your in the middle of nowhere and miles from a petrol station! But i have'nt run out yet (touch wood).

I think the V6 has a 7 litre reserve?
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6 24V

Three hundred miles to a tank! thats not fair. Mines all done at 260 from full!. Although it does have a few tweaks. The gauge on mine is all over the place as well. Nothing worse than arriving home from work and thinking "great I have enough left to get to work tommorrow" then in the morning, starting it up and the light being on, only to go off again halfway down the road to the garage. Its just the penalty for having the sound of that great engine everywhere you go unfortunatly.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 26-01-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well people, i did a fuel gauge test.

I put £30 which is about 3/4 full (according to the gauge) and i drove until i ran out of fuel. (which i did on the motorway!! i had a jerry can though)

I drove relativly easy, not going above 4000 rpm (occasionly i did, to get onto the motorway or avoid ****s in white vans on roundabouts) just to see how much i would get from it, and the result...

212 miles.....

but the gauge was still all over the place. It was on 1/4 of a tank when it read 180 miles, then when i started it up the next day, the fuel gauge came on!!

TO be honest i dont think we can pay attention to the gauge...

The engine does sound the nuts though i guess thats why we all bought one!!

Member car:

GT V6 3.2

My 156 does it all the time. 1 minute I am shooting down an A road with the gauge showing a 1/4 tank and 2 minutes later it's down to an 1/8 with the light on! (nothing to do with me going 110!)

The most annoying thing has got to be if I park up on a kerb with the car slightly tilted left to right. When I come back the bleeding car won't start because it thinks it's run out of fuel, even when the tank is over a 1/8th full. It has only started doing this recently and you'd have thought I'd have learnt my lesson after getting caught out by it 5 times already!!
AO Member

County: Primorje-Gorski Kotar

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS

Thumbs Up Re: 156 2.5 V6 Fuel Gauge

I know, I had the same problem with my 156 2.0 JTS. It's still under warranty so they replaced the computer which is located within speed gauge. Looks like it solved the problem, except Iím back on 0000km and now I have to calculate my overall distance.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
156 , fuel , gauge