Problem 146ti - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 05-12-05 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 146 ti

Problem 146ti

Been away for a few months, yesterday fired up the car only to find a very high pitched whine plus loads of smoke today I noticed rubber hanging down from underneath after further inspection it seems the belt the left hand side of the engine has disintergrated from what i have read is this the auxilary belt? and is this easy enough to fix? (could i do it myself?) the car also has aircon I was advised a standard belt would not do the trick? If it is easy enough to fix where can I get a belt? any input would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

146ti

Re: Problem 146ti

Welcome.
Getting a belt shouldn't be a problem, any Alfa dealer, most motor factors etc. should be able to provide one.
The problem is what really happened? Is something jammed that caused the screeching and belt snapping, e.g. alternator, a/c compressor, tensioner, idler pulley? Or, if it was just that the belt had somehow deteriorated over time, what are the other belts like (balancer shaft drive belt -on 2l cars- and cambelt).
First thing I'd do would be to test all the bearings that your aux belt drives.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne
Welcome.
Getting a belt shouldn't be a problem, any Alfa dealer, most motor factors etc. should be able to provide one.
The problem is what really happened? Is something jammed that caused the screeching and belt snapping, e.g. alternator, a/c compressor, tensioner, idler pulley? Or, if it was just that the belt had somehow deteriorated over time, what are the other belts like (balancer shaft drive belt -on 2l cars- and cambelt).
First thing I'd do would be to test all the bearings that your aux belt drives.
Yep, totally agree. Mine went because the tensioner seized; the belt then started sliding sideways and rubbed against the side of the block, chafing away and causing a bit of a smell.
AJB
AO Member

County: Berkshire

I had a 146Ti a few years ago. My first belt lasted about 60,000 miles but when it was replaced the new ones broke after less than 1,000 miles. It eventually turned out that the a/c unit was not a factory fit item but a dealer fit which required a slightly different length belt.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
146ti , problem