Matt.K's Alfa story so far - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 23-08-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Torfaen
Wave Matt.K's Alfa story so far

Hi to all

Been an alfa fan since my Dad had an Alfasud Sprint (t reg) many years ago. My ex-brother-in-law inherited that until it rusted away then got himself a Sud Ti - in black v.nice.

I was still to young to drive at the time but in 1989 when the time was right (after having two minis to cut my teeth on) I bought my 1983 Alfasud Gold Cloverleaf. To date I reckon this is still the most inspiring car I've ever driven - never super fast but so sure footed....you know what I mean !

The Sud stayed on the road until about 1995 when a company car and leaky front brakes forced the car into storage . In the past 10 years it's been stored out in the wet cold and snow (the cooling system did freeze one winter ), in a damp garage - and more recently in a nice dry garage.

Dispite all that and maybe the fact it was plastered in waxoil from new the car is still in remarkebly good order - so after some negotiation with she who must be obeyed and the fact that the car was outstaying its welcome in the nice dry garage - back in February a nice man from Westbury came to take it away and at the promise of me crossing his palm with much silver - he said he will restore it to its former glory !! - I would love to have the facilities and time to do this myself but .......

Anyway in the meantime (early 2004) after adding some tiddlers to the family me and Mrs K needed a bigger motor. We went to look at a 'german car' but in the showroom there was also a bright red 156. 'I want that one' she said - so into the family came our 2002 (02) 1.8 TS. I rarely drive it 'cos I got me a white van - but when I do - mmmmm.

It's had, and got its niggles - airbag light is on AGAIN , bit of an oil leak -but overall - can't complain as its a great car to drive and that makes all the difference - doesn't it??

Thanks for reading my epic.

Anyway with any luck here they are.

Cheers for now

Matt.K

Matt.K

Last edited by Matt.K; 23-08-05 at 22:08. Reason: adding pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

EddieGTA

Re: Matt.K's Alfa story so far

Hi Matt, nice to see another member completely taken by the alfa bug. Think I am a bit younger than you as I started driving in 1997 but in similar vain with a later model, I have an old alfa E-reg 33 1.5ti sitting in my nans garage. Unfortunately not in so good condition and probably going to alfa heaven when I get the time to arrange for the car hearse to tow her away

Make sure you get some pics of the sud on here, would love to see a before and after when it is all done.

Adam

(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 23-08-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks EddieGTA

Hopefully there should be some images above now!! Took some time to find out how to resize them.

The 156 pic was taken in punter parking at this years NAD.

The Sud was taken in Feb when she was being loaded up to be taken away. Hopefully going over to see her this weekend with some nice shiny new wheels for her to try on

will keep you informed of progress - hopefully with some more pics.

You should try your best with the 33 - would be a shame to see another Alfa going to the garage in the sky

Cheers

Matt.K

Last edited by Matt.K; 23-08-05 at 22:15. Reason: more info
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Hi Matt, welcome on board. That was avery nice presentation fo yourself and the history with the Alfas.
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Hi Matt. Welcome to AO.
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

Welcome to AO, Matt

Sounds like you have been bitten badly by the bug
AO Member

Hi Matt and welcome. Thanks for a great story.

Just got me a bit worried though - hearing the part your dad played in your story, and realising what a terrible addiction I am now passing on to my kids And of course, you to yours too. Totally irresponsible parenting!!

Good luck with the Sud, and hope you get to drive the 156 occassionally.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 155

hi matt

g8 story! my brother in law also had a sud meny years ago! deep down he does miss it as he still talks about it.
MT
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.K
but in the showroom there was also a bright red 156. 'I want that one' she said....
That made me grin

Welcome!
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 24-08-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithM
Just got me a bit worried though - hearing the part your dad played in your story
I did forget to mention (maybe a little intentionally ) that he had an Alfa Arna some time after having the Sprint - not sure if that was a great influence on me tho'

And thanks everyone for the great feedback - its nice to feel involved

cheers

Matt.K
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.K
I did forget to mention (maybe a little intentionally ) that he had an Alfa Arna some time after having the Sprint - not sure if that was a great influence on me tho'
S'pose we've all been ashamed of our parents at some time in our lives Do you ever feel that some things are best left unsaid?
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Hi Matt, welcome to AO. Love the Sud Gold Cloverleaf...the posh bruvver to my first 1.3SC.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
alfa , mattk , story