Shall I Buy Mito Twinair engine? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 21-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Soon to be Mito

Shall I Buy Mito Twinair engine?

Hello peeps and peepettes,

I am looking to buy a small little hatch to get me about and I am loving the look of the Mito (never owned an Alfa before). The appeal for me was the fact that they look stunning and I could get the twinair 85bhp economical engine (I am too old for the sports engines now).

However for he moeny that they are, I don't want to buy a slug so I was wondering if anyone has one and if so what your thoughts were on the engine.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
County: Cork
Welcome to AO

You'll probably get more replies if you ask in the Tech Lounge Alfa MiTo - Alfa Romeo Forum
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset
The Alfa Romeo brand is a sports car brand to the enthusiast, it's very difficult to view the 'watered down' 85 bhp version as being in the spirit of the brand but I fully understand that Alfa need to make sales anywhere they can. The purist may see this akin to fitting a tow-bar and caravan to a 458, but if it introduces you into the Alfa family then obviously it's a good thing.
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Larnaca
Welcome to AO
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Welcome‵⁀) ✫ ✫ ✫.
☻/ღ˚ •。* ♥♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛° 。* °♥ ˚ • ★
/▌*˛˚ ░A░L░F░A░ - ░R░O░M░E░O░ ˚ ✰* ★
/ \ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★
AO Platinum Member
County: Greater Manchester
Welcome to AO and in answer to your question you have to ask yourself some questions about how you drive.

We were seriously thinking of one of these for MrsJim when they came out because her new job was now a 60 mile round commute instead of about 9 and it seemed a good idea.

Dave Brown at Bauer Millett was kind enough to bring around their then brand new demonstrator for me to drive and to arrange a longer test drive for MrsJim.

It sounds great but it is fairly slow and you have to drive it very, very gently and to the shift lights or you will end up with a slow car yielding poor economy. On Lisa's test she basically got about 30mpg in town and Dave was honest enough to say she is too enthusiastic a driver to get any benefit from it so we ended up with a 135MA instead - which she loves, incidentally.

If you can do a Driving Miss Daisy all the time you'll have an addictive, rorty sounding and economical car...if not you'll probably resent the poor economy and so-so performance but I suggest you have a good test drive.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia
Welcome to AO waving
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 23-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Soon to be Mito

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I test drove one yesterday and I bloody loved it. Don't get me wrong it is not fast, fast but I it was pokier than I was expecting for a twin cylinder 0.9 engine I was bloody surprised and the noise it made put a bit smile on my face.

Only downside is this car is meant to be (and all you Alfa enthusiasts are going to hate me) a 2 year stop gap until I get something a bit bigger (and i will consider a Julie). So originally I only want a cheap small eco 3 door to tie me over. However upon searching around at cars and prices this one jumped out as I had no idea Alfa put the twinair in their Mito and I have always liked the look of the Mito and although it is at the top end of my set budget, it is within budget.... Just.

Here lies the problem, fuel economy was going to be a big factor in my decision and as everyone is saying and as I found out yesterday, I do not have a light foot and I can see the Dynamic setting being used more often than not which means 20-30mpg's which really defeats the object but guess what.... I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THE LITTLE BLOODY THING. It was so much fun and really much better than I expected.

The 130bhp is out of my price range due to me wanting the Distinctive model so the only other option is the 1.3 diesel and I can not test drive that for another 2 weeks and I do not want to wait. I know it won't be as much fun but it will set out what I wanted it do - save money on fuel.

I suppose it is now a case of Head v Heart - GrrrrRRRRrrrRRRR
AO Gold Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Welcome to AO

There is the 105 M'Air as well....
AO Gold Member
Welcome to AO

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

buy , engine , mito , twinair