New Alfa owner (or at least I will be...) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 29-01-13 Thread Starter
County: Derbyshire
New Alfa owner (or at least I will be...)

Hi everyone,

In a bit of bored-and-sat-at-home-with-broken-ribs inspired eBay browsing, I seem to have purchased a Y plate 2001 Alfa 156 2.0 Twin Spark Lusso (with 118k on the clock I think) for very little money. As with all good car purchases, it's at the other end of the country (Kent!) with virtually no MOT but a few months tax, so I can get it back home. Train tickets are booked for Saturday and I'll be heading down with my daughter for a day out 'darn sarf' and to go and pick it up!

First and foremost I have to say that I'm a biker rather than a car guy - I commute on 2 wheels all year round, got a Suzuki GSXR750 for the warmer months, and a Kawasaki GT550 for when the roads are covered in salt. I passed my bike test 9 days after my 17th birthday where it took me until I was 22 to pass my car test. First car was a Merc 190E 2.6, as I'd got the taste for power from my bikes, I couldn't face buying anything shonky and slow... It did have possibly the worlds worst manual gearbox (for a RWD car) though, yuk!

In the car stable, I tend to change motors quite often, generally I flit between 4x4s (Jeeps or Range Rovers/Discoverys - got a '98 Cherokee on the drive at the minute sat idle), Mercs and the odd foray into other cars (in the past couple of years, a Passat VR5 estate, a Lexus LS400 - possibly the best car I've ever owned, a Chevy G20 day van (knackered auto box) and now the 156!). Also as a long-term project, I've got a 1975 Chevy Blazer in the back of the garage awaiting the fitting of an 8 inch lift kit. And yeah, I do have a big garage, it currently has the Blazer, remains of the Chevy G20, my bikes and a load of other stuff in it lol

I like to do all the work on my cars myself - the longest 'service' job I remember doing was changing the cambelt on the Lexus - that took around 7 hours from start to finish - longer than it took to do a head gasket on my old Range Rover V8! Well worthwhile though!

Anyway, I'll stop waffling on now, and go and learn about what I've bought by having a read. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions (and wanted adverts for bits as I need/want stuff!).

Cheers, Martin
Sponsored Links
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Larnaca
Hello and welcome to AO
AO Member
County: Essex
Hiya fellow biker

Good luck with the trip down this way and hope the 156 is a cracker!
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Welcome‵⁀) ✫ ✫ ✫.
☻/ღ˚ •。* ♥♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛ 。* ♥ ˚ • ★
/▌*˛˚ ░A░L░F░A░ - ░R░O░M░E░O░ ˚ ✰* ★
/ \ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 02-02-13 Thread Starter
County: Derbyshire
Thanks guys.

Went and collected the car today, and I have to say, I am impressed!

Aside from a squeak from the front p/s suspension (recently had new upper wishbones) and a rear p/s electric window not working, all seems well. Filled it up down there, drove 210 miles back, mostly on the m/way at around 80mph and it according to the fuel gauge it's used about a third of a tank. I'm sure that's a little optimistic, but it's still pretty good in my book!!

Needs a good clean and polish, but it'll scrub up nicely I'm sure.

Is there a gallery or somewhere to show off our cars?
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Panda 100hp

Hey bud, welcome to the forum.

I'm a biker myself. Used to have a Kawasaki GPX750r and a Honda CX500 as cheap and cheerful runarounds.

Got a Yam Thundercat atm, but not for long - buying my mate's Aprilia Falco 1000 off him before the summer

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

alfa , owner