Calling ex bmw owners - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 30-08-12 Thread Starter
County: West Sussex

Member car:

Bmw 3 series

Calling ex bmw owners

Hi all am a newbie here looking for advice- currently the owner of a bmw 320 coupe but seriuosly considering a move to a 147, anyone here switched from bmw to alfa? Worried about handling as my car is like glue and dont know what to expect? Any buying advice? Have found a nice 147 2003 with 127k full service with recent cambelt change, anything i need to look for?
Any help appreciated
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Brera 2.4

Hi and welcome. Not quite a 147 but I previously sold my BMW Z4 2.5 petrol and have just bought an Alfa Brera 2.4 jtdm diesel. Very different cars of course but loving the Brera, so few on the road and always wanted one since they first came out. Brera is a much heavy car and feels very solid and is a GT rather than an out and out sports car. Personally I got fed up driving a BMW when there are so many on the road (aswell as Audi's which I've also previously owned) Not regretting changing to Alfa one bit yet, although early days of course! Go for it, drive something a bit different to everyone else :-)
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Which model BMW is it, the E36 or E46?

The Alfa certainly looks better, but IMO overall the BMW (if it is an E46) is a better all rounder.

They are very common though, it depends if you want to trade some all round ability for some style and exclusivity.

Last edited by symon; 30-08-12 at 17:54.
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
Hi and welcome
Hi. still own a 328i sport E36 but on the lookout for a 159 2.4 jtd,Hoping to find a nice 4WD model.
was after a 147 v6 at one point but was put off by the front wheel drive trying to hold down a 3.2 even with the special "Q" diff and me and the girlfriend have decided with petrol being so much now days a mapped Diesel could be the answer

Just thought i would say hi
AO Member
County: Wiltshire
I just packed my 120d coupe back off to the lease company yesterday. Now I'm left with my 159 which I don't regret one bit. Bought the alfa in July so had a couple of months of driving it.....the main differences from the beamer are obviously the power and the alfa is front wheel drive. Sorted the power out by a dpf removal and remap and my 159 is an LE so it's already lowered which helps the transition from rwd to fwd, I have to say the handling isn't far off the beamer - and I look forward to being able to still use my car when it snows, unlike the old one!

The only thing with the alfa that drives me mad is the indicators self cancelling when you swing out for a turn (if you indicate right to go round a roundabout, then you initially swing left to enter said roundabout, if its a big one!....the indicators will cancel).This happens every single time without fail and having come from a beamer with those lovely 'soft touch' controls, it's something I really notice. Someone did point out to me though that indicators aren't really important in Italy!

Having said that, if thats the only issue, you have to ask yourself what you really want to see on your drive each morning. A boring old BMW.... or one of these......

Nuff said

Last edited by JP1.; 01-09-12 at 15:35.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147ts plus bits

E46 323i to 147 1.6.
Missed the bmw to begin with as the M52TUB25 lump is fantastic. It had 180hp (dyno'd) @ the flywheel.
I liken it to this:
The bmw engine was an orchestra playing mozart. calm collected. And utter pants in the snow. Refined but just a little bit dull.

The alfa engine is like animal from the muppets and slash from GNR mixed together. Mad and you know why you want more. Madness is infectious...

The first thing you notice are the squeaks. Bmw's on the whole, dont squeak unless the rear subframe has made a break for freedom. I was really down on my 147 when i got it as it felt like it hadnt been finished at the factory! Has now though...

Then you notice the fuel bills.....or lack of them....

People wave at you and look at you for the right reasons too, in an alfa.
County: West Midlands

I too have just sold a bmw 2.5lt petrol and brought a newer 147 ducati corse diesel. It is F......g amazing... drove to wales last weekend on some nice twisty a roads ... did 300 miles in a day.. The bmw would of ran out of fuel after just over half the way.. So i Think that there is no comparison.. Alfa all day long.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

bmw , calling , owners