New to forum, New to Alfas - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 23-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
New to forum, New to Alfas

Hi all I'm new to these forums and new to Alfa Romeo ownership.

I've just bought myself an 04 plate 156 1.9JTD Veloce Estate, and I'm picking it up tomorrow.

I was originally looking to swap my current 2.0 Ford focus for a 1.6 diesel Focus estate as a cost cutting (fuel and tax) and practicality exercise, test drove a couple and was bored to death drive wise and visually inside the cabin. I also couldn't find anything in budget that wasn't about to die.

I found this 156 purely by chance while browsing through a Ford dealer stock list, it looked great in the photos and on paper 3 owners, FSH, belts done not long ago and just serviced and MOT'd by the dealer, so arranged a test drive.

I gave it a drive and it felt great engine was good in all gears, and gave the whole thing a going over. This is where the it 'looked good in the photos' but.. part comes in.

The engine was superb but cosmetically it needs some loving:
  • Leather was a bit dirty but nothing a good clean and some leather products wont fix
  • Side skirts are loose in a couple of places where the sealent has come away
  • Front chrome grill the laqour is pealing and the badge is all nasty looks like water and sunlight damage
  • Rear badge has similar damage
  • Rear break light cover on the inside is missing
  • Front fog light housing is damaged and needs replacing
  • The carpet in the passenger footwell below the glovebox is loose and hanging down
  • Alloy wheel paint was blistered on all but one wheels in more than a few places

There are a couple more things that also need doing but I cant remember what they are. So with all those things in mind I decided that those were all minor things that I could fix my self (apart from an alloy wheel refurb) over a weekend of TLC and left a deposit.

So tomorrow I'm going back to pick it up and bring my baby home and order myself some replacement parts and fit them this weekend. To say I'm excited about owning an Alfa is an understatement, and Im sure my friends and family are already bored with me going on about how I'll love it and care for it.

I'll post some before and after pictures as soon as I can

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Cheshire
Welcome to AO, enjoy your 156
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
Welcome to AO

Saluti, Giordano.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 25-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Well I managed to get outside and take some pictures while the weather is good. My plans were to fix her up at the weekend but my plans have changed so wont be able to fix the bits for a few weeks now.

Anyway, for now enjoy the BEFORE pictures. And I'll come back here and post the afters when they're fixed.

For ease I've uploaded them to Fickr here Alfa 156 1.9 JTD Veloce - a set on Flickr
AO Silver Member
County: Cornwall
Welcome to ao, looks like a smart car, especially if you're willing to put the effort in! The skirts on my girlfriends 156 did the same thing, we ended up bonding them with windscreen sealant and taping them in place, they're not going anywhere now and look like new again. The badges are easy enough, and a tin of elbow grease should be all that's required! Enjoy it!
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
Hi and welcome
AO Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

Welcome to AO

Enjoy ya new ride

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

alfas , forum