New GTV Owner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 25-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0TS

Well Happy New GTV Owner

Finally did it, I bought a GTV, my previous car a Fiat coupe 20v turbo (in mint condition) was assassinated by a murderous deer which leapt on the bonnet and wrote her off (well they are quick) insurance company (highway undervalued her at 1570.00 Don't go to highway insurance it is impossible to buy a mint 20 valve turbo for 1570 and despite having protected no claims bonus, my premium is now 350.00 more for my GTV, thats double)

I decided to finally buy an Alfa, my brain told me to buy a 156 diesel, however my Heart forced me in to a GTV 2.0 lusso twin spark. I love her already, cant think why it has taken me so long to buy one. I miss my Fiat Coupe and all that power, but my GTV is just as good on the handling, a lot better on fuel, which almost makes up for the lack of speed.

I bought a 1999 dark blue GTv, the previous owner has looked after the mechanical bits (no name no pack drill) however he has neglected the body work, underneath was a real shock lots of surface rust and two holes, i am treating the rust now, and will have the holes welded next weekend. I am surprised at the rust, I thought the underside of the GTV was Galvanised? other problems solved, every drain hole needed unblocking, the rear speakers were wired round the wrong way and the passengers side door speaker was full of sound deadening, making it badly distorted. I have also had to do one t-cut and apply three coats of polish to get a shine from the really dull scratched paint surface, she has a few car park dings and scratches and a weird lumpy bit on the nearside rear wing (I suspect body filler) oh and a do it yourself paint repair on the boot lid that cant be described as orange peel; but could be described as lunar craters mixed with swirls and bumps (could be brush painted). but she still looks sounds and handles great. I have had all my friends and relatives out in her, (one at a time, bit short on rear leg room) and we all agree, she is something special. A couple of more weeks work and I think she will be up to scratch. I love Alfas. I am in Perthshire so if you see me I will be happy to Alfa wave. oh! and if anyone needs a lighting design or multi room audio or a home theatre, let me know, I am a lighting and audio designer, (mainly domestic) Lighting Design Barn Homes Interiors Scotland UK Gobbsmak Living. I will probably get a chance to speak to everyone in the technical forum at some stage, I have the feeling my GTV might have been a bit unloved and neglected in the past, I am Glad I have been able to whisk her away from her previous partner and introduce her to a new luxurious lifestyle of cotton wool and an insulated, heated garage, where we will enjoy many late night sessions together. Ciao for now.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent
Welcome to AO and sorry to hear about the incident, but if it has persuaded you to buy an Alfa it can't be all bad! Hope it doesnt cost you too deer

I'll get my coat
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 26-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0TS

Thanks I got her at a reasonable price so not too deer.
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
Hi and Welcome, i had a twinnie in dark blue, good choice. Mine was also unloved till i also wrapped her in cotton wool and a heated garage.
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
Welcome to AO

Saluti, Giordano.
AO Platinum Member
County: Cheshire
Hello and welcome

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

gtv , owner