Hello. I want an Alfa. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 08-06-12 Thread Starter
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Hello. I want an Alfa.

I'm currently after an Alfa Romeo. I've got a couple of models in mind and I've joined here for some advice on which would be best and any issues/things I should look out for. I've wanted one for ages (since I had a 156 a couple of years ago) but always went for the "sensible" stuff.
Anyway I'm off to read half the forum so I can get an idea of the basics and hopefully not ask too many silly questions.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Cheshire
welcome to AO and good luck in your search
AO Gold Member
County: Durham

Member car:

159 TI 2.2

Hello and welcome.
If you need any info on Alfa's you have come to the right place.
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

164 Q4 Savali

Hello and welcome, hope you find the right car for you!
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 09-06-12 Thread Starter
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Thanks guys.
I'm kind of torn between a GT or a 147 at the moment. It's got to be the diesel because I like the drive and do a lot of miles. I think I prefer the GT's looks but the 147 should be cheaper to run. A lot of my mileage is round town with the odd big run here and there. I usually do between 700 and 1200 miles a week (I deliver prescriptions).
I like the idea of comfy and powerful but I have to be realistic about fuel costs and the little things like ease of getting in/out (it makes a big difference when you're doing it 150 times a day), ease of use, etc.
Obviously I would like some longevity but I always have a backup car if required (a requirement of the job) so I'm not going to cry if it breaks now and then.
So what's the general consensus? The 147's I've been looking at are the facelift (about 2005 on?) but the GT's are kind of the cheaper ones. I want leather but I don't mind buying a car without and retro fitting it if that's a better way of doing it?
I had the 150hp cdti in a vectra estate - is it the same engine? I loved the engine in that car but the car was too big and heavy for what I use it for. I could live with the 35-40mpg round town but it was just size I don't need. Since then I've tried diesel BMW's which I find really thirsty unless you're grannying them and a small Peugeot which I hate with a passion for being so awful to drive. It is cheap though - it's a 1.4 hdi and easily gets 60mpg round town. Of course it doesn't really because you have to hammer it to make it move so it does about 45-50.
I've finally woken up and thought I can get a car that looks gorgeous and (I presume) drives miles better for the difference of about 10mpg. Considering the back ache I'm getting from this Peugeot I'll take the hit on the fuel and enjoy myself again.

So - 147 or GT?
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Gt - Why, because they are stylish, fun to drive and you'll never stop looking back at it.
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

159 2.4 Qtronic

black gt 1.9 jtd for sale, few miles on it (128000) no leather, not to far away,worth a look???
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
Welcome to AO

Saluti, Giordano.
AO Member
County: West Sussex
I'd say GT too much nicer when you see one out and about. It's basically a 147 in a much nicer suit so space shouldn't be too bad......there's loads of 1.9JTD's as I think I'm right in saying that was the most popular model of it sold and it's the only diesel option on the GT.
AO Silver Member
County: Essex
The GT comes with a free neck brace, as you have to keep looking back to admire it ;-)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself