crustycastle new member - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

crustycastle new member

Hi, I have had my Alfa Rosso Red 1998 Spider 2.0 TS since February this year. It will be used as a summer only car and as I bought it for much less than I set aside for it I have been steadily spending money on improving it.

So far I have replaced the sump (leaking drain plug) replaced the thermostat, fitted a polished engine cover, replaced bonnet grill & badge, replaced bootlid badge, fitted stainless cat-back exhaust, RAM AIR induction kit, new AVON ZV5 tyres, replaced the alloys with MK II ones (I think), fitted stainless roll hoops (from a MAZDA MX5) made my own perspex wind deflector (which looks surprisingly good and works well) ........... plus a few other trim bits and bobs etc.

I want to ask some technical questions and I understand that I need to do so in another thread. I have now got to the point where I am thinking of installing keyless ignition but as my car is not remote operation and I only have two non - remote keys I am not sure if I need more. Rear parking sensors, HID headlights also lie ahead and I am currently replacing the electric aerial. I don't know if the aerial is operated by the radio or just comes up when the ignition is turned on so the aftermarket replacement that I am buying may or may not operate correctly.
I am an electrician so do not need any help on wiring the aerial I just need to know can anyone tell me if it is the radio or ignition that initialises the aerial. That's not really a technical question more a reflection on my unfamiliarity with the model of car.

I put my car on to a rolling road dyno test as I was concerned that it may not be running correctly after the new exhaust and induction kit was fitted. After quickly identifying that I had a plug lead breaking down (quickly fixed) I was absolutely chuffed with 140 BHP at the wheels and 154 BHP at the flywheel.

So far, touch wood, all the electrics work fine (I was expecting this to be the car's weakest area if the rumours are to listened to) and the engine - gearbox - clutch - running gear are all fine. The dyno also showed that only 14 Nm of torque was being lost between flywheel and road wheels which proves the efficiency and smooth operation of the running gear. All this is from a 14 year old car with 110,000 miles on the clock. Truly impressive.

When I was looking for my summer toy I took three or four months to reach my decision. I looked at (and test drove) MX5, MR2, BMW Z3, MG F/ TF, and considered (without driving) Merc convertibles, Audi convertibles and Saabs. I also toyed with going back to a Triumph TR6 or a Triumph Vitesse Convertible.

I have to say that once I considered buying an Alfa nothing since has caused me to regret that decision. It took me four weeks of scouring E Bay and Autotrader until I took a punt on my car and I got it for 1000 less than I might have paid. And what a little belter it is.
I fell in love with it on the drive back home. Just for the fact that I drove it 150 miles up the M5 and passed many examples of virtually all of the above mentioned cars without seeing another single Spider makes it worth it. Exclusive, swish, stylish and good to drive I just have to turn round after parking up and look back with a smile on my face. See that car there........... THAT'S MINE. I love it!!!
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO......
Nice intro.....hope you can make it to a Midlands meet.......
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
Welcome to AO

Saluti, Giordano.
AO Silver Member
County: Aberdeenshire
wow - what an introduction - pictures please and welcome to AO
Hi there,
Sorry that I have not responded sooner but I am struggling to navigate my way round the AO website.
I did not realise that I had any responses from my intro to myself.
I will attend a meeting at some stage, without doubt. Just need to know what, where and when?
Where do I find info on the midlands meetings? Do you hold auto jumbles? Do you have a list of suppliers of Alfa parts that you publish?

Many thanks for your response. I thought I had fallen into a black hole. Nice to know someone is out there.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

crustycastle , member