Thinking of getting a 02 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

skinsegan

Thumbs Up Thinking of getting a 02 147

Have my eye on a 02 147. Very nice car but I'm a bit worried about alfa's reliability as it's my first car and I really don't want to be left with a dud. Most people I've talked to are telling me not to get it but they're not alfa owners and are only going on the bad rep old alfa's had. Any advice would be very appreciated, as in what to look out for in old alfa's etc....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Thinking of getting a 02 147

Alfa Romeo is a joy to have and i am sure you will love it just like the rest of us. it is true the car will give you a bit more headache than other cars but it is definitely not as bad as people made it out to be.

Mine 53 plate had a few problem, but warranty will sort everything out for you. getting a 02 plate means warranty will run out soon so i would suggest fork out a little more for a car with longer service so u can get your car checked thoroughly free of charge! and plus a 3 year old car needs MOT as well so a newer alfa will save u a little bit as well.

cambelt change is the most common problem members come up with, apart from this major problem im sure your garage will sort it out for you. make sure u find a good one though!
AO Member

County: London

Go for it! You will be getting one of the most stylish hatchbacks around. If you can afford a slightly newer one, it will save you money and you wont be so near to getting the belts done.

Buy wisely and you wont regret it......
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

Most people have a preconceived idea of Alfa Romeo reliability, which has been bourne out of their vast experience of reading the motoring press .

In fact, I would say that the current Alfa line-up are probably no less reliable than any other make out there. I have had absolutley no problems at all with my X-reg 156, which feels solid as a rock.

Servicing and maintenance can be a little more expensive than your average Ford or Vauxhall garage, but there are plenty of very good independent who will give you arguably better service than the dealers at a fraction of the price.

Look after it well, and it will look after you. Just make sure you choose your car carefully (there are plenty of threads on this forum that explain what to look out for) and then enjoy!

Good luck with your purchase.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV6

I have an 03 147 (& an 05 147 GTA!!!) and other than regular servicing a pair or tyres, and a faulty connector under a seat, I have never had a problem with it. Modern Alfas are much more reliable than they used to be. I would say the 147 is probably the most complete Alfa ever. Great looking, great to drive, fantastic interior and equipment, brilliant engine. Juts keep it serviced regularly and check the oil regularly. You should be fine, just dont buy it from SmartAlfa!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
147 , thinking