About time I got one... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-03-05 Thread Starter

County: Glasgow
About time I got one...

Hi folks - yet another newbie I'm afraid...

Also minus any Alfa at the mo - hoping to finally rectify this after a few near misses - (GTV and 156 both close a few years ago - went for an Elan and certain German manufacturer respectively - Elan was superb, 323 didn't stay long due to slight lack of character..).

Anyway - contemplating a GT now I'm back in the market for something practical but with style and individuality (last time I really had that was my old CRX..). So far most of the ones up here seem to be diesels, and while I'm not set against them by any means - anyone had the pleasure of trying the different variants and able to compare - JTS, JTD and V6? In early dealer discussions just now so a bit to go but have been doing the rounds of the usual suspects and the GT's the only 1 that has made me smile just looking at it...

Here's hoping...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Z4 Coupe

Re: About time I got one...

Hello m100 and welcome to AO.com. I tried all of the GT varients before buying and they were all good. The diesal was very impressive performance wise, maybe even a better choice than the jts but i found i wasn't quite ready to go onto the black stuff (not in a coupe at least). In the end i went for the V6 and it is the finest car i have ever driven The performance is fantastic and if you can try an Alfa V6 you'll fall in love with the sound alone.

However, i only use the car at weekends and would struggle to cope financially if i used it more as it has a thirst like johnny vegas on a friday night.

In an ideal world it has to be a V6 but in the real world a jtd is more practical.

I hope that has been of help.
AO Member

go GT GT GT GT GT GT.........and V6 V6 V6 V6 V6 V6
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 16-03-05 Thread Starter

County: Glasgow

Hi Stuart,

Many thanks for the info - much appreciated.

tse_adam - thanks for the subtle hint!

Tempted by the V6 as well and not doing a huge mileage, maybe 6-8k p.a. I guess. We also have 2 other cars between us (including the MX that may go into w/e use - don't use it on longer journeys now) so the Alfa is intended as the 'more practical' addition to this (at least that's the justification at the moment... ). Basically they're all an option to be honest!

I've read quite a few reviews and they vary between picking any of the models - and diesel seems to be the only 1 about on demo round here so far. The 156 I test drove years ago was a 2.5 and I loved that - just didn't fancy the depreciation and possible price relaignment back then - so part of me is certainly keen on the V6. The other part suggests for what I'm going to use it for - 30-60 mile journeys, the occasional few days away and normal commuting (10 mins..) I don't really need the V6 - the JTD in many respects providing a good car for the longer journeys - with the JTS maybe providing a compromise back to what I'm used to - higher revving petrol engines... So a case could be made for all - though the V6 would be the most desirable but hardest to justify of course..

I guess if I've learned anything (debateable? ) it's to buy what I really want, providing it also ticks the usability box enough and doesn't lose shedloads. An S2 Elise I had a few years ago failed miserably here - definitely handbuilt in Hethel. Whichever one I get still has to have character, something to make you want to get into the car and drive it - be it sound, handling, performance, control responses, etc. This way it (hopefully) stays for a long time as opposed to being changed with costs, hassle, etc!

Maybe some long distance travel for alternative engine tests...

Now what colour.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
time