The Beast lives on! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 14-03-12 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 156V6

Wave The Beast lives on!

Hi to all and first of all a big thank you to everyone who has posted technical info and fixes - It has greatly increased my Alfa car knowledge and given me the courage to have a go at various repairs which I otherwise wouldn't have known where to start on.

At this point though I thought I should introduce myself as I think I may have just crossed the line and become a hardened Alfa addict. I've been driving Alfas for the last 16 years - first a beautiful red 164 V6 Lusso and then my current 156 V6 for the last 12 years - so it's not exactly a new obsession but it's just taken a new more serious turn.

The other day my beloved 156 started and then packed in with what sounded like a thump. Having neglected it a bit of late and failed to change the cambelt I thought the worst and figured that this was probably terminal but as it was being towed away I just couldn't bear it - I love this car - so I promised myself that if the engine was still intact I would spend a whole heap of money on repairing all known faults - and there are quite a few - and bringing it back to near showroom condition.

Well, the good news is that it's fine - belt was fine and no damage , just an ECU glitch it seems - and with a reset it's now going faster than ever.......but now my promise.

This bit makes no economic sense. My head says trade it in for a minimum £2,000 part exchange against a nice little Fiesta and put the repair money towards the balance - but my heart says go for it - what could you possibly replace it with this short of £20,000 that would give so much pleasure - so here we go ... a shed load of parts are now mid channel on their way to Jersey - suspension arms, drop links, brakes, discs, belts, wipers, side skirts, water pump, PAS pump etc etc etc.

For the record it's a pre-facelift silver 2.5 V6 with the Sportpack 3 - lowered suspension, red momo leather interior, carbon effect dash, Alpine CD changer, low rear spolier and side skirts and 82,000 miles on the clock (nearly all mine ).

Can't wait to get it back to decent condition with no squeaks and rattles from below. Will post a picture when it's all done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1120104.jpg (80.8 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Nice story. 👍
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO......nice intro.....
AO Member

Member car:

164 1990 V6

Good for another 12 years then. Nice to hear some 156 owners are prepared to start preserving these models; like the 166 and 164s with age and values dropping the cull rate increases expntly leaving only a small number that are in a condition that drive as intended by Alfa. Good luck with the spanners!
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 15-03-12 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 156V6

Many thanks for the welcome guys.

Despite what Joe Public say about Alfas my own experience of them, and the 156 in particular, has been that it is a very reliable, well engineered and well put together car, especially compared with the supposedly 'very reliable' VW Mark 1 Golf GTi I had before which was a nightmare. This is what encourages me to restore it - I feel I owe it something for being such a great car. I think 'to showroom condition' was an exaggeration on my part - just very clean, tidy and 'sorted' will do.

I guess the Alfas from the 80s era are probably a different story, though still good-looking machines for their time. I think my ultimate dream car would now be the Bertone bodied Guillia 1750 GT Coupe, or its related offspring, and I am in total awe of Stephen Manjal's complete restoration of his but could never contemplate something like that myself. I'm looking forward to seeing his finished car.
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Good Morning.......and Welcome to the A.O. Forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it here.........

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

beast , lives