I love my new 155! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 16-02-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Armed Forces Europe
Wave I love my new 155!

Hi all,

Recently moved close to Naples, Italy and figured out I had to go for a local car. Tried a cheap used '96 155 1.8 TS with 98000 km on it, and was quite bluffed by it in terms of ride quality and engine response, on top of the overall good condition. I got it on the spot and have been quite happy ever since.

Only thing, except for highways, many roads get in terrible shape as soon as it rains. Understand potholes everywhere, and more potholes everyday. This proves quite aggressive on the tyres and I also suspect I need new front shock absorbers.

Current impressions is that the front suspension is too noisy on bumps (numerous, alas) , and the front has already started skipping in sharp turns where it used not too, I might add. So, any bit of advice is more than welcome.

Ciao!

Pierre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

Re: I love my new 155!

Welcome on board Pierre

Any pictures of 'la sua splendida macchina'?
AO Silver Member

County: Setúbal

Welcome Pierre,

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Your problem with the suspension might be the shocks, but it might also be the suspension bushes... better have it checked. If you go to the 155 lounge there will
be alot of folk helping you out

Don't forget to post some pics of your bella please

all the best

Sérgio
(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 16-02-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Good call on the suspension, Sergio. Indeed I searched the forums and the symptoms seem to match those associated to worn out suspension bushes... doh!

It's sort of a metallic "clack"ing noise when the front left wheel goes over a pronounced hole or a speedbump; it sounds a bit like a trainwheel going over a rail junction. No noise otherwise when turning, braking, driving on a good road, manually pushing down on the front left corner.

And then I need to fix some paint blemishes. I'm a total beginner at self-repairs but this car is so nice I really want to take care of it.

Anyway, I'd love to attach a few pics but I don't seem to be able right now. I'll do that asap.
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Hi Pierre, welcome aboard.

If there's a metallic sound coming from the steering, I would hav it checked. I migh be just the bushes... do you hear or feel anything on the stearing wheel when turning while stoped?

If you don't know how to manage the pics (resize/upload) you can send them to me and I'll do it for you.

hugosa@alfaspirit.com
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 16-02-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Okay, seems to be working now. These 2 pics are also in my "garage". Enjoy.

Ciao!
AO Silver Member

Welcome Pierre. we don't have many white 155s here. have a great time on the forum (loads of 155 tech info) and with your beautiful car.
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 16-02-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Throttleman, thanks!

No, nothing on the steering wheel while turning when stopped. The sound can't be heard from inside the car either, actually. I need to be driving with my window open to hear it, and it's only when the left wheel encounters one of these stupid potholes or speedbumps. It matches the moment that the wheel is quickly coming back up from a "bottom" position.

Driving on stone-paved streets, and there are many in Napoli, doesn't yield that sound either, but I drive quite slow on those streets. They're slippery and pedestrians and mopeds can come out of seemingly nowhere here.

But yeah, I'll get it checked, definitely.
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 16-02-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debs
Welcome Pierre. we don't have many white 155s here. have a great time on the forum (loads of 155 tech info) and with your beautiful car.
Yes, as a matter of fact I wanted a silver 145. But then I was so pleased when I tried this one, which happened to be cheaper than the 145, have a bigger trunk than the 145, and the engine I wanted... I bought it on the spot.

Also here the 155 is out of fashion with the locals as the 156 has definitely stolen the show. And if you knew how many carjackings there are in this area, and were an outsider... you might not buy a 156!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre_samanni
Yes, as a matter of fact I wanted a silver 145. But then I was so pleased when I tried this one, which happened to be cheaper than the 145, have a bigger trunk than the 145, and the engine I wanted... I bought it on the spot.

Also here the 155 is out of fashion with the locals as the 156 has definitely stolen the show. And if you knew how many carjackings there are in this area, and were an outsider... you might not buy a 156!

I saw loads of the 156 in Naples - only 2 155s: a black V6 which was stunning & a silver/gold champagne 155 1.8 with a LOT of dents in the body;

I am biased, always I would buy a 155
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 16-02-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Ah Debs, dents... How could I forget about those? Let's just say I understand how come the rear view mirrors can be flipped up on my car...

Did you see how they drive here? I am so thankful I have some experience at go-kart racing and I drive a 155. Because frankly, if you want to drive among Italians, you'd better drive like them, and do so an Italian car. Prepare yourself for quick change of directions, brutal braking, inch-for-inch battles, people passing you in incredible maneuvers, at all speeds.

In Napoli, people die from passing maneuvers on stone-paved boulevards within the city. And I am talking of the people who _drive_, not necessarily the pedestrians.
AO Silver Member

County: Setúbal

Very nice 155 Pierre

all you need now is some nice Alloys

All the best

Sérgio
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre_samanni
..Did you see how they drive here? ..
Isn't the way Italians drive great in the big cities. 5 cars next to each other on three lane roads are no exception

Last time I visited Italy I was in the neighbourhood as well. I stayed over at a nice mansion in Nerano.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
155 , love