Hate/Love - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 20-02-12 Thread Starter
County: Neath Port Talbot

Member car:

Alfa 156 TS

Dear fellow Alfa Owners,
I moved to Wales about a year ago. In Holland you can go everywhere by public transport and/or bike, so eventhough I had my drivers licence for 6 years, I never had to buy a car. Coming to Wales made me realise going by bike everywhere was not an option (really, the hills omg! And there does not seem to have been anyone who invented decent cyclingpaths yet) so I was going to buy my very first car (with the steeringwheel on the "wrong" side of the car).
I fell in love with a deep red Alfa 156 which I bought for 1600 pound with almost 60.000 on it. For that price I thought I'd done a good deal since most dealers put 1000 pounds extra on a car just because they can. Went to the nearest Alfa dealer I found on the internet, which turned out to be in Newport, so took the car there, found out I was out of oil and coolingfluid... So they topped it up and did their check and told me a lot of things needed to be done. First of all was the abs sensor, because the kid I bought it from oput the wire back wrong and the wheel actually scraped the wire and the wire snapped/broke. 189 pounds to have that replaced. A couple of things more and it was good to go (so they told me)
So I been driving it for about a week after I got it back and when I was driving home from some shopping the orange enginelight turned on. As soon as I got home I looked it up in the book and it said there was a technical fault, you can still drive your car, but take it to a garage asap. if the light is flashing slow down untill it burns steady. Your fuel consumption might be more, and take it to garage asap. So thinking i could still drive, I had to goto the doctors later that day, tried to start the car, nothing. Tried to start it again, absolutely nothing. Lights went on, like thy always do, but the engine did nothing. So it stood outside because I spent all my money on buying the car and insure it (950 pounds because I had no no claims!)
Thankfully I had someone to help me and he had the car taken to a garage and as a christmas present had it fixed for me. They told me the headgasket was gone and that was also probably why the oil and coolingfluid disappeared. Also the sparks of my 2nd cilinder did not work properly, so I have a spare engine now (done 40k) as it was cheaper to buy a spare engine than to buy the parts on their own. They told me she'd be driving as new again. So I got more confident in my car's abilities and took her to Holland. At the Channeltunnel we had to wait so I turned off my engine, when we were told to enter the train, I tried to start it, nothing again! They sparked up my battery and I was able to go again. In Holland during a short trip, my orange engine light started flickering, but I wasnít even going 25 mph, so going more slow wasnít really an option. Took it to a garage in Holland and he said that the light would be from my 2nd cilinder (the one I jsut got repaired) not firing properly. Also my battery was ok. Not feeling too much at ease I drove back to Wales.
Once back, the following day my ABS light came back on again, together with the other warninglight that comes with it. My brakes are making funny noises and there is a rattling sound coming from my engine (or somewhere near it). So i am not even half done getting it fixed and I STILL havenít fixed all the problems the car had at the first examination.
But what can I say? I love the car (when it drives) and the looks of it makes heads turn...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
Welcome to AO

Saluti, Giordano.
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO.....
Nice to hear you haven't given up.......
Must have been coincidence with the spark plug being the same cylinder though, you said the engine had been changed....
Regional Representative
For East Midlands - AOEM
County: Leicestershire
Hello Alfa girl Neath and welcome to the world of AO

Take a look around this area of the site ..... quite an active area and I'm sure they'll help and look after you

Wales South - Alfa Romeo Forum
AO Member
County: Devon

Member car:

1.9 gt jtd

blimy i think i would have left it in holland ha ha .... i went sailing past neath last week in my gt first proper trip since i got it ........ hope all is well with it now happy driving .....
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Quite disappointing that the original garage told you that you had no oil and no coolant, but didn't warn you that this probably pointed to a larger issue.

Hope you have better luck from now on!
AO Member
County: Faro

Member car:

Mazda RX-8

Hello and welcome to AO.
You just had bad luck and got a neglected one.
It does hurt the wallet but once you get it right you will be happy with it.
Enjoy the forum.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 25-02-12 Thread Starter
County: Neath Port Talbot

Member car:

Alfa 156 TS

Yeah, from what I've read on this forum, Waterfalls in Bridgend is supposed to be a good one. I just need to find a date where I can afford to miss my car.
AO Member
County: Ceredigion

Member car:

Gt jtd

Hi from near Aberystwyth,hope you get it sorted out reasonably cheaply ,good luck and enjoy when fixed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

hate or love