New owner of a 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 08-02-12 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

New owner of a 159

Hello !
I have just opted out of a company car scheme to take the car allowance instead, to run my own vehicle.

So there I was, looking for a car, BMW, VW, Ford, Audi...something substantial. The company who I work for specify 4 seats and a maximum of 7 years old, with an emmissions limit of 180g/km.

At an auction a 159 sportwagon caught my eye as it was driven away for 4800. It was the first car in a long time which made me crane my neck to see who made it.

eBay then became my second home...I could afford about 7k but anything less would be a bonus because it would mean I make a little bit every month. I came across the current car, registered December 2008, with 122k miles and FSH. (1.9 jtdm)

The lease company printout of the service history shows it has cost them almost 12k in three years, at least half of that has been tyres (4 Michelins for 1461 !)

I've gambled on the high mileage simply because I have had cars which I've driven for 50k miles per year. It was all straight line work up and down motorways, the clutch was hardly used and there was almost no wear in the suspension.

This car has avaeraged 40k per year so i've gambled it will be in a good condition and things like a choked up EGR might not be important yet.

This past year I have been using long term hire cars and have had a BMW 1 series, VW Passat and currently an Audi A4. The BMW was the most fun to drive, the Passat the most practical and the Audi is the quietest, fastest and best built of them all.

Compared to them, the Alfa 159 is a bit noisy, pretty twitchy, a bit plasticy and has an overly complex computer.

But the Alfa is the first car which has made me look back at it after parking it. It has rewarded me already when driving it down some twisties, more thean even the BMW 1 series. Young children point to it from their car seats, and neighbours and coworkers are all attracted by the looks of it.

I'm a professional engineer now, so I make my decisions logically. I wouldn't have thought I could buy a car with 122k miles just because of how it looked, but I did.

My only real regret is that I could have opted out of the company car scheme a year ago and started this period of my driving history earlier !

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO.....
Hope you enjoy many happy miles driving (and admiring) your 159.....addiction guaranteed.....
AO Silver Member
County: Greater Manchester
Welcome to AO! If you put those kind of miles on a oil burning 159, arguably it will stay in better nick than the ones that get hacked around the shops!
AO Member
County: Faro

Member car:

Mazda RX-8

Hello and welcome to AO.
Nice story. Enjoy your new 159.
AO Member
County: Fife

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4JTD Q4

Your tale is remarkably similar to my own 6 months ago.
Fair warning tho' it'll get pricey. Not necessarily on repairs, but cleaning gear, trinkets, and mods !
Enjoy the smugness every time you see someone looking miserable in a German box, that you followed your instincts.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 09-02-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Thanks for the comments and the welcome.

Trinkets and cleaning gear ? The cleaning gear was bought the day after I drove the car back to Edinburgh from Reading (a long roadtest to inspire confidence !) I spent more than i have spent on cleaning stuff before...

I noticed the front of the car is stonechipped to hell, but the galvanisation is holding up. However the bonnet badge was a sorry sight, all faded and scratched so I thought to replace that trinket, and used a Brera part, which looks rather good !
A Brera front bumper looks like it might fit..... but a repaint might be cheaper and the 159 bumper looks good anyway.

And then, after reading various online recommendations about BG244 fuel additive I bought a tin of the stuff. Inoticed that the car was sluggish for the first couple of days before putting the additive in but put that down to it being relatively heavy.

After 3 days of work by BG244 the engine seemed quieter and bit smoother and the pickup was better. Now, six days later, the difference is even more noticeable, so if there was coking or a sticky injector it isn't there any more

I've started to look at quotes for DPF removal now...will it never end ?
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 09-02-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

Oh and talking of smugness, Jock.
Do you mean the same smugness I felt lastnight, when a kid in a hot hatch had to blast off from the lights past me on George Street in Edinburgh ?
I cruised up next to him at the next set of lights knwong full well that although the onlookers were thinking that the hot hatch was faster, they were also thinking that they would much rather be seen in the Alfa..

Happy days

Last edited by FixitSan; 09-02-12 at 08:27.
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
Welcome to AO

Saluti, Giordano.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

159 , owner