Nearly a New Owner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 04-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Nearly a New Owner

Hello, Not exactly an Alfa owner yet but should be in about 8 weeks

A Guilietta Veloce in white with red leather sports interior is on order

Iíve never owned an Alfa before and I seem to have been looking for ages, the Guilietta being one of the first I looked at but then I tried to let my head rule my heart. So Iíve been through multiple test drives (been a serial time waster for VW, Audi, Merc, Honda, Ford............) and eventually ended up where I started

I guess Iím a bit of nerd when it comes to cars, technical stuff, engineering etc. So for what itís worth Iíll pass on my thoughts on the obvious competitors. VW Golf. Extremely competent, refined and well built. Driving it felt about as special as sitting on a train. Looking at it, well what can you say. Audi A1 (not a direct competitor) Umm OK, nice quality interior but ride was abysmal, Polo a better car but no one wants to be seen in one. A3 Umm OK but why pay more for a Mk5 Golf? nuff said. Merc. C Class. Premium quality yea right, a Corsa has a classier interior and I may as well pin my pay slip to the front door if I park one of those on the drive. Iíve got a Merc. G Class so Iím not against them but new ones are just jam packed with cheap electronics to increase perceived value. Ford Focus (donít laugh) actually the best all round package but zero character/identity. Citroen DS4. I actually quite liked it but weird jacked up suspension setup. Not a great drive on anything twisty/bumpy but felt good to sit in.

Anyway I could go on but dead pleased with our final choice. Looking forward to March

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO......
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
Welcome to AO

Saluti, Giordano.
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
Hi and Welcome
AO Member
County: Faro

Member car:

Mazda RX-8

Hello and welcome to AO.
Great buy. Enjoy your Giulietta when you get it and good luck with it.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 11-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks for the warm welcome Guyís.

Just want delivery now but the timing is quite good actually. I get to use my company car through the bad weather, if Iím going to bend a car in the snow/ice I donít want it to be mine

Already thinking about getting a few more horses out of it. Itís a 1.6JDTm (had to be as I need to insure my 18yr old daughter on it and if I want fast Iíve got a Type R Accord). Any recommendations?

(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 17-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
Got It At Last

Well finally took delivery on Sunday.

Up to now I’m really impressed and liking it better every time I drive it. Today was its first long run. Around 400 miles, mostly motorway on cruise control at 78-80mph and it returned 56mpg according to the trip computer.

I’m still figuring out a few of the functions around Blue and Me etc. This sort of confirms it’s non Germanic character actually, which I’m liking. I have a feeling it will grow on me the more I use it.

It’s extremely refined at the above speeds, with a nice controlled ride on all road types. Although I know you don’t need to run cars in these days I’m still treating it gently, momentary full throttle only and rev’s up to 4k only. I didn’t treat my old lease car like this (drove it like I stole it from day one) it now smokes and burns oil at 2 years old/70k miles!
Build quality I would put it up with the Golf mk6, maybe a little behind the interior of an A3 but of course not incredibly dull.

My wife calls it a happy car. It does make you feel good just sitting in it

Minor gripes. The gear change isn’t the slickest, the red on black trip computer read out is not the easiest to read (I’m slightly short sighted and wear glasses which affects close up sight) and compared to my other car, a Honda Accord Type R, the steering is rather numb but the Honda is the best FWD I’ve ever driven in that context.

Happy days

AO Platinum Member
County: Cheshire
Glad you like it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself