Apprehensive new Alfa owner! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 17-01-12 Thread Starter
County: Wiltshire
Apprehensive new Alfa owner!

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd make myself known as a slightly apprehensive new Alfa 156 owner! Having just bought what looks like a thoroughly decent black '04 156 2.4 JTD 20v Veloce I can say I am very happy with the initial impressions. Great to drive, practical, good looking and relatively frugal too! I will admit to having one or two butterflies about its reliability but hey its too late now!! I am looking forward to throwing myself into Alfa ownership and look forward to hearing any wise words any of you more experienced alfaowners would like to share. Great website by the way....
Sponsored Links
Regional Representative
For East Midlands - AOEM
County: Leicestershire
Hello Gray1435 and welcome to the world of AO
AO Member
County: Faro

Member car:

Mazda RX-8

Hello and welcome to AO.
Don't let all the slating influence you. Alfas have problems, or don't, like every other car.
Have a look on the 156 lounge and enjoy your new Alfa.
AO Platinum Member
County: Shropshire
As RuiX8 said, plenty of help here if anything does go awry, Alfa 147, 156 & GT - Alfa Romeo Forum so stop worrying and enjoy your car! And AO!!
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO.....
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 18-01-12 Thread Starter
Thanks for the warm welcome, I hope to be in touch with some great Alfa stories very shortly.
County: Cornwall

Member car:

156 2.4JTD 20V

Hi Gray

Excellent choice - you won't be disappointed. I've gone from 45K to 75K in 2 years with no major dramas
AO Member
County: Manawatu-Wanganui
I'm always astounded by the amount of negative comments Alfa Romeo garners from the press and the public alike. Alfa Romeos are no more or less reliable than any other make. The crux of the matter simply comes down to one thing, and one thing only: advertising. For example VW currently spend twice as much as any other manufacturer in the world on advertising. Think about it. Why do we as a general rule think of McDonalds as the number one fast food joint? Is it because they make the best food? Hell no. We are bombarded by marketing. It's the same with statistics. The number one selling car ever is the Toyota Corolla. Owners will tell you black and blue it is the best car they have ever owned. The more it attains the number one spot the more the public buy in the honest belief they are getting the best. People like to think they make informed decisions, but the opposite is true. Would VW continue to advertise in a magazine that repeatedly slammed their product or proferred glowing reviews to their competition. This is, and always has been, about money. If you think otherwise you are nothing but a sheep following a pattern of consumerism set down for you by corporations. Your 156 Alfa Romeo is a beautiful piece of art, in my opinion. But here's the cruncher: It's your opinion that matters, no body elses. You are an individual, buying an Alfa is an extension of you NOT buying into the cheeseburger mentality. Congratulations, and enjoy your car. And like any other brand, have it serviced regularly by those who know what they are doing. Your 156 may, or may not, be an expensive excercise. Owning automobiles of any make can be. I admire those who fiercly defend the honour of the maker of the cars they drive/ the TVs they own/ the Blu Ray player they have etc etc. But lets remember one thing, all of it is irrelevant in the big scheme of things.

So...relax...have a drive, and above all else, enjoy.
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 23-01-12 Thread Starter
I am increasingly heartened by the passion for Alfas that the people on this website display . I have heard many horror stories about owning an Alfa but I think Sazabi1 is right, it's all about the publicity! I bet there are far more broken down Audis costing much more to buy and repair than the majority of Alfas. I have so far thoroughly enjoyed my experience of owning an Italian stallion and look forward to many years of happy motoring in it. There aren't many cars which can provide the low down torque and beautiful 5 cyl warble whilst returning nearly 50mpg at the same time, all while being one of the most stunning looking vehicles on the road IMHO!!
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
welcome to the forum!
nothing went through my head when i bought my alfa about reliability, all i cared about was owning an alfa, yes my 2nd car :O, with a 5 cylinder lump under the bonnet and still returning 45mpg, and paid half the price than say the more common deisel makes, but double the fun!, i see it as you buy an alfa, because you want to, and people that buy one and then complain about reliability is a numpty.
just enjoy your alfa, and if theres a few reliability issues, shrug it off..because owning an alfa is worth every second

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

alfa , apprehensive , owner