Looking at JTD 156's - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 19-12-11 Thread Starter
County: Northamptonshire
Looking at JTD 156's

Hi all.

I've recently changed job and soon realised that my unsafe 850kg small overly stiff hatchback should be tucked away in it's garage and no longer used for a daily commute

However after searching the web for near on 3 months I've finally found a vehicle that really takes me fancy.

I stumbled across a 2.4 20v JTD 156 with 92k on the clock. On emailing the garage I was sickened/saddened to hear that there was no history with the vehicle and just a few MOT's. I'm not determined to let this put me off however (I've bought alot worse cars before that have turned into awesome dailies) as the car looks stunning and appears to be mechanically sound and I've wanted to test drive a 156 for a while now.

I'm fairly handy with a spanner so often do my own DIY work on all my own cars/mates cars/families so the lack of history doesn't really bother me too much... however... should a specific grade of oil not be used in the 2.4JTD and the service intervals not be adhered too whats the likelihood of follower damage on these fairly robust JTD engines? I know the PD150 engine is a nightmare for it.

What should really been changed by 92,000 miles (two belt changes?) any tell tale signs of the work being done (bar the obvious "look at me I'm shiny and new")?

And the big question... would you purchase the vehicle if it drove well.. sounded healthy and came with a 6 month warranty?

I'd be getting the belts changed anyway and negotiate that into the price. But what sort of price would a "big service" (oil, oil filter, aux belt, cam belt, fuel filter, air filter etc.) on the 2.4JTD set you back usually?

Should I also dismiss the 140bhp 1.9 multiair JTD in my list of "must haves"? Or is it just as potent and fun to drive as the 2.4JTD.

One other thing. I'm 22 years old, an Engineer commuting 14k per year with 5 years experience behind me and 4 years NCB. What will mr Insurance be like if anyone has similar history?

Sorry for the big post, but I like to get everything off my chest in one go.
Sponsored Links
Regional Representative
For East Midlands - AOEM
County: Leicestershire
Hello fella and welcome to the world of AO

If you post some/all of your questions in the technical lounges on the site, you're sure to get a quicker and more helpful response

Alfa 147, 156 & GT - Alfa Romeo Forum

Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6) - Alfa Romeo Forum

Good luck
AO Platinum Member
County: -

Member car:

Welcome along.
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO.....
County: Cornwall

Member car:

156 2.4JTD 20V

I would advise that any car without a reasonable documented history will be a bit of a punt and the bills won't be cheap on a 20V 156.

I would always opt for organising my own servicing with a garage I trust and try and get the selling price reduced accordingly. 20V engines can experience belt failure from 48K onwards despite the recommended 72K interval. To be certain you need to get done all the work you describe and you will be lookig at 700 plus, I suspect. Also assume that any reputable independant is likely to tell you of other things that are wrong, so the bill will creep upwards !

If you are lucky you will get a great car with masses of torque and a reasonable 40+ overall mpg. I've owned a 115 1.9 JTD and a 175 20V JTD and the 1.9 cost 4.85 pence/mile for all maintenance and the 20V is working out at well over 6 pence per mile. I don't know about the 1.9 16V costs but there are a lot more to choose from.

I love my 20V and don't regret it - I've done well over 100k in 156 JTD's and they are a sound car. As so many say on this forum - find a good independant Alfa garage to look after it.

Best of luck
AO Platinum Member
County: Durham
I think second car insurance on a 2.4 will be extortionate!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

156 , jtd