30 years in the wilderness? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 14-12-11 Thread Starter
County: North Yorkshire
30 years in the wilderness?

Hello to you all!

I am currently the owner of a MG ZT which I have had for almost 5 years and have no hesitation in extolling its virtues. Taking all aspects into account it has been one of the best cars if not the most satisfying car I have ever owned. And my selection always sporty has been varied. But it has now done 130k+ and although I would love to stash it away somewhere, I am now stepping into my 60s and have decided to indulge myself one more time with an Alfa. With a predisposition to most things Italian particularly Alfaís and Ducatiís I started my early motoring years with both. My first Alfa a 1968 1750 GTV, was followed by a 1974 2000 GTV. But as some of you will well remember this was a time when no matter what vehicle you owned, to be a competent home mechanic was a big advantage if you were going to cover and serious mileage. The majority of vehicles required constant attention to keep them sweet. To think of a 1970 Alfa or MG covering 130000 miles without major surgery visually or internally was unthinkable. Yes the Alfa engine was an engineering masterpiece for the day when pushrod engines were still the norm, and for all I know some of them may well have recorded such distances, but as we all know the problem was not with the engine but what it sat in. Yes like Aston Martins they were always a visual work of art but unlike Astons; their resilience to rust was pitiful. And as they say the rest is history.

Anyway after a number of marriages and offspring I wish to return to whence I started. Yes I have kept myself reasonably informed on what has been produced in the intervening years and admired from a far. Why? Because there has always been the constant reminder of their troublesome history. So Iím not a true enthusiast?? Maybe not, but I did not have the luxury of being able to own one just because I wanted to. All my vehicles have to earn their keep and to some degree that is still the case, but thankfully over the last 5 years the lure of owning another Alfa has become so strong I can no longer resist. Obviously this has been helped for the most part by the dramatic improvement in reliability and thank god for that.

And it has not taken me long to make my decision a ĎAlfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso Sportwagoní. Giving just a dash of practicality in regards to my grandchildren. In choosing the estate I am of the opinion that it will give me as much room as I can extract from an Alfa? And as I donít like to be short on gee gees when I need them Iíd prefer the 2.4 diesel but will also settle for a good 1.9. Unfortunately I am financially constrained so cars under 2 or 3 years old are unlikely to be considered. But Iím sure with a bit of vigilance I will locate a good example.
All in all after a bit of research it would seem that the 2.4 JTD engine is a fairly robust unit and will do the miles subject to the regular maintenance. With the reliability of the 1.9 JTD possibly even more qualified for big mileage? Excellent I thought, and then I stumbled across a review on Auto Trader which questioned the fragility of the 2.4? The gentleman concerned ĎlexQí although enthusiastic about the marque had the unfortunate experience of having had five 2.4JTD engine units replaced in just over a year? Unfortunately lexQ does not explain the reasons or causes for this bizarre set of circumstances. Save that the whole operation was seemingly carried out by a qualified Alfa workshop. Logic would imply there is more to this storey than the integrity of the design. But the suggestion here seems to intimate that the fault lies with the frailty of the unit???? Other than this example the feedback on the 159 diesels appears healthy and positive!

So to all you Alfa enthusiasts Iím here for a software update and hopefully above all to enjoy owning an Alfa again. I will start a thread in the technical forum for anyone who would like to respond. In anticipation I wish to thank all who will contribute to broadening my knowledge base.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Peterborough, Cambs
Welcome Lomas
AO Platinum Member
County: -

Member car:

Welcome along !
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO.....
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
Welcome to AO

Saluti, Giordano.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

wilderness , years