Confused newbie - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 21-12-04 Thread Starter
Gui

Member car:

none

Crazed Confused newbie

Hi all, am a prospective Alfa owner seriously contemplating my first purchase. Am struggling big time here and would appreciate some help. Here's the situation: want a 147, 2 options:

1) New 2.0 TS manual, no leather, no sunroof, essentially bare basics version. Manufactured 2004, but will arrive at dealer's in 2005, so will be registered as a 2005 car. Available in Jan 05 from dealer.
2) New 147 GTA manual, full option, but double the price of 2.0 TS. Earliest available Sep 05 from dealer.

Both cars not available for test drive at dealer. Test drove a 156 2.5 V6 manual instead, and really liked it.

Questions are:
Any user experience if 2.0 is powerful enough? Will a GTA be too much in the sense that it's got too much power and too difficult to drive?

Background: live in a crowded city where roads are narrow and hilly. Haven't touched a manual in years. 2.0TS is affordable, GTA seems to be too much and lack a bit of practicality due to large turning circle etc.
Will not consider 156, and like the looks of pre-face lift 147 better.

What to do? Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

marlon

Re: Confused newbie

No experience of the 147, but if you can afford it, go for the GTA. Could you get a 2nd hand GTA instead ??? Might save a few bob ???

There is a world of difference between the 16v and the V6 engine. The V6 I would say is better if you drive a lot of hills. And the noise of the V6 will have you heading for the wide open country roads (the 16v will aswell BTW )

Decisions....decisions......

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

the two cars can't be compared because their characters are so different. The 2.0 TS is quick but certainly not a GTI. She doesn't have enough power to compete with them. She is a joy to drive though. The GTA on the other hand is a real beast and the sound of the V6 is a joy forever.

The GTA is easy to handle and certainly not difficult to drive. 250 bhp on the front wheels is a bit much when the roads are wet ( just behave when it rains ), but on dry roads it is not a problem at all.

If you can afford the GTA then go for it. The 147 2.0 TS will put a smile on your face everytime you are going to take her for a drive, the GTA will put a smile on your face from ear to ear that will never ever go away.

Hans
AO Gold Member

"Background: live in a crowded city where roads are narrow and hilly. Haven't touched a manual in years. 2.0TS is affordable, GTA seems to be too much and lack a bit of practicality due to large turning circle etc.
Will not consider 156, and like the looks of pre-face lift 147 better."

Well you have basically answered your own question

I would go for the 2.0 if going to be driving in town all the time.
At twice the price and with its enormous appetite for fuel , I think the GTA would be overkill.
NB Turning circle on std 147 is poor as well. The GTA is just worse!

Performance of a 2.0 TS 147 is typical of other cars such as Golf 2.0 but is more fun to drive.
If you can, see if you can test drive a 2.0 156 as you will not find much difference in performance. The 147 will be very slighly slower, as has TS rather than the direct injection JTS engine . Both cars weigh the same.

AO Platinum Member

to make a long answer short: get the 2.0 TS
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 155

hey welcome to the forum GUI. hope you will make the right decision nonetheless.
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Gui? My Godson is getting an Alfa and he didn't asked me? And he's just 14months old!

Ok, ok, it's another Gui. Welcome to Alfaowner, Gui.

As much I love the GTA I would (probably) recomend you the 2.0. If, and only if, you do 99% of your driving in the city. What pleasure (besides showing off ) can we have driving on traffic jams? Mind you that I don't see this a question of practicality problem but more as a rentability. Both will have the same behave on traffic but... on an open road... gorsh... GTA GTA GTA!!!

You might just consider that 1% left. Is it worth? If you can afford it: YES get the GTA!

Hugo Sá
(2011) Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Pack Sport 17", Pack Comfort
(2009) Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTDm 16V QV, 170hp+360nm, Bilstein B4+TI springs, ConnectNav G2, Autodelta Air filter, Brembo Disks, Satin Mirror Caps
(2002/2009) Alfa Romeo 147, 1.6TS QV, Autodelta Remap, Autodelta Air filter, Eibach Pro System Kit

Social and Automotive Sports Photography
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

What about getting a Smart car and a speedboat?
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 22-12-04 Thread Starter
Gui

Member car:

none

wow, thanks for all the responses.

i'm constrained by what the dealer has to offer locally, a bare bones 2.0TS just doesn't meet my interior requirements, although it provides instant gratification (available in jan05). (fyi for tax reasons, dealer chooses not to import manual verision w/ sunroof, leather etc. plus i live outside euroland, the currency is very expensive now, so price will go up substantially with options)

a GTA has all the looks and more, but without a test drive, i just need some feedback from users who can help me determine if it's easy enough to drive for me. i can afford the GTA at double the price vs. the 2.0TS in my case, but it would be a small stretch, esp considering that it will be a weekend car.

2nd hand -- would be a great solution, value for money argument etc. my friend has one in pristine condition, think there is a high chance he will sell in 2 years. but that's 2 years away and what about now? if i order a new one, it will take 9 months or so at least, so no instant gratification either. btw, friend won't let me test drive.

hence the indecision...heart wants GTA (1% heavily weighted), heads says 2.0 TS (99% but lightly weighted). argh.
AO Silver Member

Hi Gui and welcome to AO. Just to add my limited experience of test driving the GTA in mixed conditions (urban and highway):
1. She is gorgeous looking - head turning (both looks and sounds wise)
2. She handles perfectly regardless of traffic conditions (with the exception of parking due to short steering circle)
3. She has unlimited power reserves (you never realise the ASR is working unless you watch the warning light) and great brakes
4. She is quite thirsty (urban fuel consumption with heavy foot is )
I own a gorgeous 147 120 bhp so I won't comment on that except that (having driven the 2,0) I don't think the 150 bhp are very convincing (maybe a few are sleeping)
Cheers

Alfa Romeo e PAOK....oggetti del desiderio a Macedonia

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
confused , newbie