Heated rear window not working - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 08-11-11 Thread Starter
County: Merseyside

Member car:

Heated rear window not working

Hi all i thought i would post this quick snippet thats worth a look if your alfa is suffering from non working heated mirrors and heated rear screen
first of i had read loads of posts and tried all of the suggestions i could find on this site and none of them i read mentioned the problem that had occured with my alfa which is 2004 156 jtd saloon.
My apologies if sombody else has covered this but every little helps (so they say) anyway i wont go into all the fruitless checks i did i will you the quickest route to find and cure the problem with my car.
1 the mimic light was coming on when i pressed the heated rear window button and i could also hear the relay clicking (so if this isnt the case with yours then have a root through other posts.
2 the first thing i did was remove the plastic cover on rear right hand side pillow (right hand side of car or on your left hand side if your kneeling on back seat looking out the back screen) just prise out the 2 oval plastic covers that say airbag on them and undo 2 philips screws... there is another screw at thhe bottom of the said panel behind rear seat but once the door seal was pulled clear the plastic panel can be pulled out of the way.
3 you will then see a small black plasic box (aerial booster) and at the back of this there is a spade connector with a brown wire with a black stripe on it,pull this off and test you should be getting 12volts from this (maybe a liittle more) if so your problem could well be elements in the screen itself if you dont get a reading from this (which i wasnt) go to drivers side front of car and take off the fusebox cover to the right of steering wheel.
4 if you kneel down and put your head by pedals and look up to the right hand side of accelerator pedel you should see a shiny metal bracket with 2 multiplug connectors on it or hanging around above it.... one plug is grey the other is black....grab the black plug and have a look for a brown wire with a black stripe and test this with ignition on and heated rear window switched on...i got 12 volts from this when the heated rear screen was switched on and nothing when switched of so all is ok up to that point...the wire at the other side of this plug changes colour to black with green stripe i wasnt gettin any voltage to this.however i did do a continuity test and and the meter beeped to say it was ok but it turns out that you can get a positive continuity but i connection wont pass any type of current through it...so i got a couple of chock block connectors cut the brown wire with black stripe from multiplug connector same with the black with green sripe on the other side and joined the two up using a peice of wire the same guage and chock blocks.
5 test the brown wire with black stripe and spade connector that i removed in section 3 (aerial booster) you should now have a 12 volt supply to this now(with ignition and heated rear window switched on) refit spade connector to aerial booster replace trim etc and the jobs a good un SIMPLES.
i hope this helps cos this time of year you really cant live without heated rear window.
pee dubya

Last edited by pee dubya; 08-11-11 at 17:49. Reason: posted in wrong section methinks
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: -

Member car:

Welcome along !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

heated , rear , window , working