New and thinking 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

jjay

New and thinking 156

Hi all, this is obviously the best place to come to for advice and opinions on the 156. I'm thinking of buying one, but just need to check out fully what I might be letting myself in for in terms of reliability?!?

Any pointers would be welcomed, but I'll be hanging around here looking out for info (2002 - to current model) !

Thanks

jjay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Re: New and thinking 156

Hi Jjay, just some thoughts on 156's, I'm on my second now.

Bad points first.
Still a few reliablity issues, but probably no more than any other Car these days, the most common one's are;

Rear Trailing arm bushes wear out after only about 20000 Miles, this seems to be peculiar to the UK market, probably due to the cambers on our roads. It results in a slightly vague rear end, TBH only keen drivers notice.

Cam Belts and Variators on the Twin Spark's, these need changing at about 40000 Miles, the service intervals are 72K, but Alfa now realise this is too much, and check them at an earlier service charging you for the priveledge.

Occasional Electrical glitches, my JTS had a Plug Coil, then a Lamda sensor fail within a couple of weeks of each other, both were fixed under the Warrenty.

The Odd squeek and groan from the suspension.

Watch the oil consumption, you can't ignore this on most Alfa's or it will bite you hard.

Worst points on the Car itself is a very firm Ride particularly on the Veloce's, but the Body Control is not the best either meaning that on a bumpy road you have to back off more than you would in something like a 3 series, if not you will break something, or bounce off into the ditch.

Good Points then...much more of these, but basically;
They look fantastic, inside and out, they all sound great even the Diesels, they all go great, particularly the 2.4JTD's, V6's and the JTS. The 2.0TS isn't massively fast but has such a wonderfull engine note you can forgive it easily. Seat comfort is pretty good, as is general refinement, Steering and Handling on a smooth road is fantastic, easily more fun than an Audi A4 or VW's etc, you will struggle to find a Saloon Car which is more fun to drive this side of the bigger Engined BMW's.
Best of all they make you FEEL special this goes for all Alfa's, just read some of posts on this site. Most of us are aware that the Car's have drawbacks and aren't perfect, but you can easily forgive them the bad for the good.
Just be warned if you get into Alfa's you will struggle to find any excitement at any other brand. (well any you can afford anyway )
If you need any advise on a particular car, just ask, we are a friendly bunch, with a lot of collective experiance.
Good Luck.
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Hi Jjay, welcome to Alfaowner!

This is definitly the best place to look for info and have a good time with great people.
I'm sure a lot of Alfisti with 156 will help you.
jjay

IanM , thanks for that response. It's given more a fair idea of what it's like to live with the 156, and certainly hasn't put me off!

I also like the community atmosphere here, reminds me of my motorbike youth!

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM
Hi Jjay, just some thoughts on 156's, I'm on my second now.

Bad points first.
Still a few reliablity issues, but probably no more than any other Car these days, the most common one's are;

Rear Trailing arm bushes wear out after only about 20000 Miles, this seems to be peculiar to the UK market, probably due to the cambers on our roads. It results in a slightly vague rear end, TBH only keen drivers notice.

Cam Belts and Variators on the Twin Spark's, these need changing at about 40000 Miles, the service intervals are 72K, but Alfa now realise this is too much, and check them at an earlier service charging you for the priveledge.

Occasional Electrical glitches, my JTS had a Plug Coil, then a Lamda sensor fail within a couple of weeks of each other, both were fixed under the Warrenty.

The Odd squeek and groan from the suspension.

Watch the oil consumption, you can't ignore this on most Alfa's or it will bite you hard.

Worst points on the Car itself is a very firm Ride particularly on the Veloce's, but the Body Control is not the best either meaning that on a bumpy road you have to back off more than you would in something like a 3 series, if not you will break something, or bounce off into the ditch.

Good Points then...much more of these, but basically;
They look fantastic, inside and out, they all sound great even the Diesels, they all go great, particularly the 2.4JTD's, V6's and the JTS. The 2.0TS isn't massively fast but has such a wonderfull engine note you can forgive it easily. Seat comfort is pretty good, as is general refinement, Steering and Handling on a smooth road is fantastic, easily more fun than an Audi A4 or VW's etc, you will struggle to find a Saloon Car which is more fun to drive this side of the bigger Engined BMW's.
Best of all they make you FEEL special this goes for all Alfa's, just read some of posts on this site. Most of us are aware that the Car's have drawbacks and aren't perfect, but you can easily forgive them the bad for the good.
Just be warned if you get into Alfa's you will struggle to find any excitement at any other brand. (well any you can afford anyway )
If you need any advise on a particular car, just ask, we are a friendly bunch, with a lot of collective experiance.
Good Luck.

AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I've had my Selespeed for 5 years with no major problems so that says something for Alfa reliability.

But an Alfa is more than just the metal its built with - it is the character that once you drive one you will know why so many people become addicted to them.

There are no many cars these days that make you look forward to the drive to work but a good Alfa is one them.

One major bad point is the poor dealers especially in the UK
smudgersteve

Hi Jjay

!!!156_V6!!!

Hello Jjay!

Like IanM said, you just need to drive one! Once you have done that, you'll carry the Alfa-Virus, and there is no treatment for it!! But let me tell you one thing: it feels great!!

Go ahead! Drive the car!! And then, tell me if I'm wrong!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
156 , thinking