Destiny to fulfill... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 24-06-11 Thread Starter
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

A4 Avant

Destiny to fulfill...

Hello Everyone.

Wow, what a great forum!

GTV's and I have a bit of history, each time not quite getting there. Let me explain...

In 1980, my Dad very nearly bought a second hand GTV... but didn't. As a 7 year old the car looked out of this world and sounded incredible. He bought a brand new Subaru instead, stating how much more practical it would be. I could never get the image of the huge wheels, sloping roof line, the noise or the colour (red) out of my head.

Move forward to 1998, I'm on the hunt for a 2nd hand car - a 2.0 GTV. I hmmm'd and aahh'd and in the end the job I was promised never materialised and the opportunity lost. The black GTV I had my eyes on ended up with a friend of mine.

In 2003 - armed with a job that was going very well and a car allowance, I was T-Spark GTV hunting again. With a new facelifted model just around the corner I was worried about residual values of a 2nd gen car and waited for details of the new GTV to be announced. Didn't like the new nose and still worried about gen 2 residuals I ended up buying a 2 year old SLK230K, which had bomb proof residuals and a metal folding roof (good security).

Onto 2009 - I hung onto the SLK for 15 months after our first child arrived, but eventually the SLK had to go . We now have 2 sensible Audi's (A3 sportback, A4 Avant) on our drive to go with the 2 kids!

But the GTV has never left my system!

Cash is very tight right now, but I know better times lie ahead. Having too much time on my hands has made me think about the GTV again. I need a goal for the next 2 years and I think the GTV has to be it. If I am going to get one though, I think it will have to be the V6 as a weekend car will do so little mileage that fuel costs will be less of an Issue.

I have joined the Forum so I can go into this eyes wide open and with less of a chance of me letting my head rule my heart again. I will be lurking, trying to find out as much as I can so I wil know when I find a good 'un. 3rd time lucky for me.

Destiny is calling!
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO........I had a similar, mortgage conspired against my dream of owning a GTV....had to wait 11 years but got mine 3 years ago and still smile every time I drive her......or even look at her........have patience and your dream will come true.............still one of the most beautiful cars on the road today......... :HAPPY:
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
Welcome to AO

Salute, Giordano.
AO Gold Member
County: South Yorkshire
Welcome into AO :wave:
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 28-06-11 Thread Starter
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

A4 Avant

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

It looks like it will cost me more than I thought. I'm not giving in though - It will take longer and I will be getting a second job to pay for it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

destiny , fulfill