Hi from new member with 164 2litre in Leeds - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-03-11 Thread Starter
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

ebay Hi from new member with 164 2litre in Leeds

I came across an 164 2litre last year taken partexchange for a BMW I sold on ebay.
It was still taxed and MOTd with clutch badly worn. Decided to drive it for a bit and see what it can do and will put up with. After the 3rd drive I realized what a brillinant car it is/still was. I took it off the road as clutch really slipping big time and too big a job to start on right now.
Instead I came across another one going cheap on ebay. Again a brilliant car even when quite old and at the end of what is normally considered its normal lifespan. Much more useful and fun then BMW or Merc when they reach "banger stage". Always heard stories about how bad alfas and italian cars are in general but I find the 164 a well engineered yet not too complicated. Fortunately no probs with electrics so far either.
The 2 litre engine is an absolute dream and I can see why poeple say that the 3 litre would be too heavy for this car.
Never thought I prefer a 4 cylinder front wheel drive car to a merc or even BMW lol.
This Alfa has a lovely responsive engine and suspension but is comfortable enough.
I love driving this 164 and hope it will last me a good while. The other one I am breaking for spares although it would have been ok with a new clutch.
Next project will be the installation of an LPG autogas kit although I hate the idea of adding weight to this for its seize quite lightweight car. Perhaps that's why I keep delaying this job..
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO.....
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:

Seems a shame to break a car for the sake of a clutch

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

164 , 164super , 2litre , alfa164 , leeds , member