Cars are my joie de vivre! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hajdu-Bihar
Cars are my joie de vivre!

Hello Everyone,My name is Ali,I'm Iranian & I'm a dentistry student in Hungary,And I am one hell of a car enthusiast,cars have been my passion since I was 2 or 3 years old.
I've been an avid fan of Alfas as long as I can remember,I was fascinated by the badge,the styling...everything about Alfas had a different whiff and glamour!
Years passed by and I grew up as we all do I suppose!I was always counting the days till I could get my license,I got it and then I had to wait a year for a car.
After all the waiting it was time for me to get my first car,I couldn't sleep at nights,I couldn't pay attention to anything,the only thing I was thinking about for 6 months was : What is my first car going to be!
I searched through everything,and literally everything! Got the price on every car,got the insurance quotas and so on...
First I wanted to buy an Alfa 156,It has always been very soft on my eyes,but then I told myself,I don't want a front wheel drive car,they understeer;then I got to BMW 3 series,but again,I told myself everyone's got a bimmer,it's nothing new even though it sounds like the ultimate driving machine!
Let me cut the story short,I went through Nissan 350zs,Audi TTs,Mitsubishi Evos,Subaru Imprezas,V6 mustangs,...even MG TFs,but finally I landed on one hell of a machine,the Mazda RX8 Revolution,Everyone told me not to get a powerful car as my first car,but I was unexperienced,and I wouldn't change my mind at all!
So...I went forth and bought myself a Pretty,Red Rx8 with low mileage and everything.
I couldn't believe it the first time I sat in it,it was so fast,so nerve rackingly fast! yet,you couldn't feel the speed unless you looked at the the speedo.well with all that horse power and buzz,I ,like everyone else who sits behind the wheel of a high peformance car, had that false confidence that says you are a very good driver,you won't crash,you can turn the traction control off and go fast and drift and everytime that I sat behind the wheel the first thing I did was to turn the traction off,to prove my skills or whatever!
and once,it caught up to me at last;it was the 29th day that I had my Mazda,I was driving on the motorway and It started raining heavily,I didn't have much experience in ways of weather and such so,regardless of the rain,I started to overtake people,not noticing the TC was off,then it happened in a second,I overtook a car,then tried to straighten the car but it was out of control,it was sliding and spinning all over the place...I spun for like 3 times and then bang! the back end hit the guardrail and the car stopped in the middle of the motorway.
I got out of the car and it dawned on me,the back end was totaled! I instantly thanked god no one was damaged apart from me.
due to the heavy damage and the fact that I couldn't afford the cost of the repairs,I sold the Mazda,and bought a rebound car which was a sturdy VW Golf GTi Mk2,been driving that for 5 months now,well the only thing I can say about this car is it's a "has been".
apart from that,its very tough,reliable,and good enough for my daily commuting which consists of going to school or getting groceries and such,I've done a lot of long distance,motorway drives on it as well but it's just not cutting it after the mazda.
it has certainly been fun though.the fact that you know it's not gonna break down and even if it does it won't cost a fortune to fix! and there's one thing,It looks brilliant from the outside,but as soon as I sit inside,the brilliance fades,the only thing reminding me that the car has 110 horsepowers is the sport exhaust system that growls and definately the free revving nature of the engine.The car is one hell of over engineered piece of machinery!
Now,I've become bored of it,not that it's a bad car,I just want a car to have fun with,I don't want 250 horsepowers or 250 km/h,I just want to be able to have fun when I want to!
I want a car which has soul,a car that engages all of my 5 senses,a car which is brilliant from the outside and brilliant when I sit inside,a car that comes to life when I start the engine.
and these were the factors that took me to Alfas for the first time,now that I want to sell the Golf,I'm pretty sure I want an Alfa.
True,there are horror stories about them and that sets me back a bit but that's why I registered to this website.
Now I'm gonna get down to real business,
With my budget I can either get a 1990-91 Alfa 75 2.0 TS or 1995-96 Alfa 155 2.0 TS.
I myself prefer the rear wheel drive of the 75 but I like the looks and specially the interior of the 155 too,so I'm stuck between these two!
and since both cars are 4 cylinder versions I suppose fuel consumption won't be worse than 10 liters per 100 kms or so and thats fine.
Now could you guys help me on this?
Which one is better?(pros,cons,fun,costs,everything...)
What should I know before buying an Alfa?
What should I checkout for?

Thanks & by the way I'm sorry if my story was a bit longer than other newbies!

I'll be looking forward to your advice!

It's all about the sound !
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia
Hi Ali waving welcome to AO. Long story but it's got all your history Check out our tech lounges for more info on the 2 Alfas. I hope you find the one you are looking for.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 03-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks,I will ! I hope I make the right decision!
AO Member
County: Porto
ey hey and welcome to AO mate
AO Platinum Member
County: Lincolnshire
Hi Ali, welcome to AO
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to mighty intro.....
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 03-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks everyone!
AO Gold Member
County: South Yorkshire
Welcome into AlfaOwner
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:

Hope you find the Alfa that is right for you
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 03-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

cars , joie , vivre