Hello! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 20-01-11 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

I joined the site in the summer, and have been checking in from time to time - so thought I'd best be polite and introduce myself.

I've owned Alfa''s since 1994 - when I first bought a red 145 1.4 boxer. It had no torque to speak of, but it was beautiful (to my eyes anyway), and lit the flame!

With a growing family, I replaced it with a 155 2.0 twinspark in 1998 - this was a widetrack, in metallic silver. By happy co-incidence I met first Gus at Alfatune, in St Helens, at this time - and it was soon fitted with Koni's, lowered springs and a new set of wheels. The handling and performance was great, and I loved it - unfortunately it didn't love me back. Over a couple of years, I got to know Gus well - as we repaired and replaced our way through it's mechanics. A new engine was just the start... With so many new components, it eventually was a great basis for a race car conversion (for it's new owner)

My wife and I then had a pair of 156 2.0 twinsparks - mine again had Koni's and springs done by Gus, which made it the sweetest handling car I've every driven. Just beautiful! Even better with engine remaps! I remember it had a wood steering wheel, which gave it a lovely feel. I drove that car until corrosion took it from me at 116,000 miles!

Mrs Laz-y-boy's car was a Selespeed, which she happily drove on city mode. She would occasionally let me borrow it - and I have to say I loved the Selespeed box. It needed reprogrammed a couple of times, and occasionally had it's moments, but otherwise worked beautifully.

She eventually wanted something smaller, so she got a black Mito 1.3 diesel - which remains her dream car! I absolutely hated the handling - Koni's and springs by Alfatune has transformed it into a nice drive.

My next car was a 159 1.9 tdi saloon, with red leather, which I bought at 5000 miles - again with Koni's and springs, Mangoletsi described it as 'the best handling 159 they'd ever driven'. With an engine remap it delivered an average 46 mpg (previously 32 mpg), with great performance. The difference between the car before and after the remap was night and day - I'd recommend this unreservedly.

I also owned a yellow 2002 spider for about a fortnight - this went back to Mangoletsi, and the less said about that the better.

I sold the 159 on at 60,000 miles, and bought my current car - a metallic blue 159 2.4 diesel Q4 Sportwagon. Although I'd been searching for this for about 6 months, I was a bit underwhelmed with it to begin with - with the extra weight, the handling and performance were worse than the modified 1.9! However an Alfatune remap has more than sorted the engine out - the 2.4 is now absolutely awesome- and Koni's (with original springs) give it very sweet handling.

Anyway, I love the site - it's such a great resource, and I'll keep checking in.

I met some of the guys at Oulton Park back in the summer, so regards to all - and hope to meet up again!
Sponsored Links
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
hi and welcome
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO......
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:

Yup sounds like you do love your Alfas

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

« Hello | Hello!! »