Newbie from Downunder - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-12-10 Thread Starter
County: Western Australia
Newbie from Downunder

Hi FellowElfaLovers

I didn't think too much about Alfa's until I bought my current Black, 2002, 156 v6, 6speed manual sedan a couple of months ago from my friend. He was so taken by the car he bought it from a lady (the first owner) in Sydney and had it brought over to Perth, W.A. by train. He owned it for 2 years and was reluctant to sell it. It is in exellent condition, and has done 240 thousand klms (quite high I know).

The only thing wrong with it is that it has some hail damage on the bonet from a storm about 6 months ago (which we've never experienced the likes of before in Perth). A huge number of cars were written-off due to the damage they received. The hail stones were the size of golf balls.

Anyway my friend found it difficult to sell. I later found out that a lot of people steer away from Alfas because of past bad experiences and due to the high costs of repairs. When I told my wife it was for sale, that my friend had advertised it for $10,000 and that he was willing to sell it to me for $9000 she didn't hesitate and said I should buy it. My wife is not a car nut by the way, so it was kind of strange for her to be so keen.

I ended up buying it of course and when my wife saw it she fell in love with it too. She went around telling all her friends that her husband had bought her an Alfa ha, ha. I was quit amazed that Alfa's value depreciates so much from new. I have discoverd that a new 2010 Alfa 156 would sell here for about $56,000.

I used to ride motor bikes and never realised that driving a car could come so close to the same pleasurable experience. One negative thing though, I recently had my prized Alfa key'd. For those unfamiliar with the phrase it means that some frustrated, angry, bitter, selfish person took their key and gauged a long line in the paint work along the passenger side. Now I have pay a $350 no clain bonus in order to get it repaired by a smash repairer. At first I felt anger towards this person but now I feel sad that they obviously lead such an unhappy miserable life.

Well thank you all for allowing me to become part of your family and I hope I can contribute some worthwhile and helpfull information in future.

Warmest regards (or greetings),

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
Hello MonzTa welocme to the site. Theres also the Australian site here : • Index page

Welcome to the nice Alfa Feeling youve just discovered. Alfa Romeo have been around for 100 years now and weve all enjoyed the pleaseure of owning and driving an Alfa Romeo. I have had 7 Alfas so far over the last 20 years ! some people have had more !!

Modern Alfas are absolutely fine to maintain if you look after them properly. They are the same as any other car in terms of cost and maintenance.

I think people refer to the Alfas of Old of 20 years ago that were rustbuckets. Well since Fiat took over Alfa Romeo they have been absolutely fine cars to maintain.
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

downunder , newbie