Alfa159 advice ,thinking of buying my first Alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 11-12-10 Thread Starter
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Ford focus

Mooney Alfa159 advice ,thinking of buying my first Alfa

Hi I'm new to this site. I haven't bought an Alfa Romeo yet but that is why I've joined up to ask Alfa Romeo owners some advice on their personal experiences with owning an Alfa.
I've wanted one for years and I'm totally bored of mundane cars and am due to upgrade my car in the next few months. I have somewhere between six and seven and a half grand to spend! Being a family man I'm looking at the 159 with a 1.9 or 2.4 diesel engine! Can anyone give me some advice on the reliability of the new alfa's as I hear they are a lot better than they used to be. Really can't afford a car that keeps letting me down ! Am I making the right choice or should I go for another boring car ? Just need some feedback from owners who can give me a tip.
Many thanks Damian
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome

The 159 is a great car i'm on my third now had a couple of minor problems but no worse than other makes
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Snap - I've also just joined, also currently own a Ford Focus and am also looking at getting a 159! Selling my current car on eBay at the moment; once it's gone, I'm going to do some test drives.

(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 11-12-10 Thread Starter
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Ford focus

Are you a bit nervous given the past reliability of Alfa ? The 159 is such a good looking car I think I'm going to decide with my heart rather than my head!just trying to get some feed back off people who own them if they have really turned a corner that they say they have!
Going for the lusso but if I had the money it would have to be the Ti.
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
The 2.4 is as good to drive as it looks! I have had no issues, apart from minor niggles. Reliability has not been a problem at all. Just don't expect good fuel consumption if you do a lot if short city trips or if you drive it like it should be driven. I would recommend it without a moment's hesitation.
AO Platinum Member
County: Greater Manchester
Had my 159Ti 1.9 just over two years. No problems. Only time it went in was for a split CV joint that a tyre fitter spotted looked like a tear from road debris. Minor irritation was that I booked it in and they didn't have the part so it was off the road a second day coz I had to bring it back a week later. Check my sig for some summary info. It has been a blast, looks stunning and I'd recommend one to anyone.

Be aware that 2.4 economy is not fantastic and the 1.9 is OK rather than outstanding (but then most Alfisti tend to enjoy driving too much to get the highest economy returns!). Ti's are best looking, best spec'ed but beware tyre wear and they aren't cheap at 19". Have the proper 4 wheel alignment done (60-100 well spent). No other worries to report.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
welcome to AO...

AO Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

159 lusso

Like you I wanted an Alfa for years, but was too "sensible", now my only regret is all those wasted years, take heed !
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO.........go with your heart.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

advice , alfa , alfa159 , buying , thinking