New 166 Super owner in Edinburgh - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 21-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
New 166 Super owner in Edinburgh

Hi all.

Not my first post on here, as I've already started a couple of topics, but I only picked up my 166 (first ever Alfa) yesterday.

My name is Steve, I'm 32, married, work in IT. Originally from Devon, then lived in Edinburgh for a few years, then London for 5 and a half, and now back in Edinburgh again.

All my previous cars (bar one) have been what most people would describe as cheap, old crap...

87 Astra 1.3 GL
89 Pug 205 GTI 1.6
88 Citroen BX 16v (engine donor)
91 Civic 1.4 GL (THE Poomobile)
91 Pug 205 GTI 1.9
91 Pug 205 GTI 1.6
89 Pug 205 GTI 1.6 converted to 1.9 16v (Mi16) - still have this but currently laid up
02 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo Anniversary Edition - Bought at end up Sep, then had minor and silly accident 6 days later Written off and awaiting settlement cheque

The latest edition is an ex-forum car. It's a 98 Minerva Green 166 Super Lusso. Ex Alfa press car, used in the Autocar road test apparently. It was owned by 2 members of the Alfa Owners club, the last being LE75 who sold it at the start of this year (from what I can gather from my investigations). I bought it from a dealer in Wolvey near Leicester and drove it home yesterday. Now on 87k, and pretty tidy for the age, although it does have some problems.

Here's some pics

And a link to the rest of the album (photos taken this morning after a quick stop at the jetwash. Pitty the weather was too dull {typical Scotland} to bring out the best of the colour)

Alfa 166 pictures by GLPoomobile - Photobucket
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Falkirk
Very nice. Do you live in Hopetoun House!?
AO Gold Member
County: South Lanarkshire
Welcome tae the clan Gloopy.

If this keeps up we'll soon huv oor ain 166 section in the Scottish section.

That's if FF kens the buttons tae press

AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:

Looks like a nice 166
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 21-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
No I don't live in HH Scott Just needed a nice place to take some pics and found that on Googlemaps.The groundsman came out to see if I was OK, thought I'd hit the boulder at the end of the drive. Apparently the local lads pull handbrake turns down there and hit the end boulder all the time. He said he even catches them driving on the lawns chasing rabbits

Pomeo - Scottish 166s maybe on the increase, but it's a bit annoying that I had to "import" mine By the way, I started using Babelfish to translate some of your posts, but even they didnae ken whit da **** yer oon aboot!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Nice thread. I'm an Alfa wannabe. I don't do much mileage in my current car so it's doubtful how much use a second hobby car would get and it would be a real squeeze to get a 166 into my garage.

It's nice the Wolvey advert on Autotrader was pulled or expired as soon it was sold. Having seen the advert and realising it was sold I was a little disappointed so it was good to get your take on the condition of it. My optimum spec. would include the wooden steering wheel and silver dials, though I've realised this year that the wooden steering wheel suits some exterior colours more than others.

What famous person from Autocar tested it? Do they name the testers of the Autocar tests? I'm thinking of the initial single model tests they do when new and each area is star rated. To think Steve Cropley may have sat there.

An ex-colleague had an S16 engined 309, the engine having been tweaked by a race tuning firm in Scotland. It was quite a beast. I didn't know SAAB did a 9-3 Anniversary, I mainly associate Anniversary with the wood dash, tri-tone leather 9000s and dusky silvery pink 900s.

I've just checked the pics on photobucket again. I'm not green with envy but I'm thinking that looks pretty good to me. Those horseshoe alloys really make the 166.

The chained stump shot looks arty enough to be in a magazine. Nice photo.

Last edited by In_The_Pass; 22-11-10 at 04:41.
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO......nice photos......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

166 , edinburgh , owner , super