New Alfa Owner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-10-10 Thread Starter
County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa 147

New Alfa Owner

Hello All,

My first post, and my first Alfa!!
Having always admired Alfa's from afar but being put off by the reputation, I finally took the plunge last night and bought a 147 on an '02 plate. Needs a new cam-belt like *now* but I am looking at this in a positive way - at least I know it has been done, and when and to what standard!!

Haven't even taken possession of it yet but looking forward to lots of good drives!

Anyone with any advice please feel free to post in response - I am quite mechanically minded but not sure of the nuances and niggles with my new toy!
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO.......good to see you had the sense to do the cambelt, hope you enjoy your 147......
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 20-10-10 Thread Starter
County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa 147

Thanks for all the welcomes. I am still very happy from the drive it gave me on the way home last night!

As I expected, I found my first few niggles, could anyone clue me in on useful tips on the below:

1) The VBD seems to cut in very quickly - it could be too early to tell, I may have been a bit more enthusiatic than I thought, and the roads were a little greasy last night...

2) Dash switch permanently stuck in - found a replacement on ebay for 5 so all good there!!

3) CD Changer does not seem to show up as a source on the radio, or eject its magazine - havent looked yet but I am hoping loose cable, or from my forum search there may be a fuse to the changer supply somewhere?

4) The most worrying! I noticed when I testdrove it, but thought no more, that the Passenger Airbag (switched on) stays on for 4 seconds at start up, but then flashes rapidly for a couple of seconds before going off. And this morning (this is the first really cold morning) the main airbag light does not go off! I also noted at the testdrive that the passenger airbag cover is raised in the bottom right corner, the seller told me this was a common problem and he seemed a reasonable sort -my forum search seems to confirm what he tells me- can anyone give me a clue how to solve this - it could well be a couple of seperate problems I guess?

Other than that, I'm booking her in for a new cambelt early next week!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

alfa , owner