Possible convert - Greetings - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 09-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

BMW 335i

Possible convert - Greetings

Greetings from sunny Sussex.
You guys may not believe this but I am seriously thinking about buying a Giulietta Cloverleaf.
So what I hear you cry. Well, wait for it - - - - - - I currently drive a BMW 335i convertible. twin turbo petrol, 305bhp and 0-60 in 5.9secs, 30mpg - not bad!

So whats the attraction?
Firstly the beemer is coming to the end of it's PCP and to be honest whilst it's a stonking performer it does not have enough space in the boot to take bottles to the bottle bank. in other words I want something more practical but still want performance and driving pleasure.

I thought about a Jag XF but whilst its a cracking car it's a bit big so I thought hatch back.

So mind set went - Golf R, Golf GTI, Focus RS, Focus ST, but my mind kept saying BORING.

I have a mate, he's dutch you know so you have to make allowances, who just loves, and drives Alfa's. I have always taken the micky about how his car should go wrong all the time but actually he commute 120 miles a day it it and it's fine.

He would die if I turned up in an Alfa and treats my BMW with contempt!!
Anyway - tele advert made me go hmmmm
And - the thought of a Golf,Focus etc made me feel quite ill so my heart has drifted towards the Giulietta whilst my head says Golf.

So to cut a long story short, last week I diverted into the Alfa garage in Guildford, averting my eyes away from the fiats and the result
I'm test driving a cloverleaf on the 22nd Sept, I've spec'ed it already - fully loaded of course, read every scrap of detail I can and hope I enjoy the drive.

My current car has a flashy auto, sport , manual gearbox so it's going to be a bit of a joy using a proper gearbox again.

I'll let you know how I get on hope it goes and handles well.

Last edited by R1WPG; 09-09-10 at 14:30.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO.........I would say addicted from 22/09/10........
AO Silver Member
County: Gloucestershire
Hi Richard & welcome to AO, gosh its a bit of a wait but hope the test drive goes well, and we see a post saying you've ordered one :thumbsup:
AO Platinum Member
County: Greater Manchester
Welcome to AO Richard.

Great intro and coming from a high end 3 series it is very interesting indeed! Brilliant to see you've been seduced by Alfa!

Please keep us all updated on your impressions of the GQV.
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:

Nice one
AO Member
County: Glasgow

Member car:

166 3.0 V6 Super

Nice to hear someone with an open-minded appreciation! I saw the Giulietta close up the other week and it does look great. I've got the same 1750 TBi engine and even unmapped (and 1.5sec slower than yours) it's still quick enough to pass most on the road in reality. Even when it doesn't, I've noticed it's me rather than 'them' that has a smile on the face

Life's too short to be dull so go for it
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Good Morning......and Welcome to the A.O. Forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it here........
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

BMW 335i

Thank you all for your kind felicitations.
I'm looking forward to driving the GQV and I am interested in how the cars match up aginst each other.
Whilst there are obvious differences in engine size and power, the GQV weighs in at over 500kgs lighter than the BMW so all may not be what it seems.

My only disappointment at this time is there is no dual clutch gear box on the Alfa. Bit old fashioned - dont see many racing cars or rally cars with an old fashioned box these days. I can tell you the 6 gear changes on the paddles in manual on the BMW are quicker than I could do it with a normal gear stick - and smooth as well.

I hear there's talk of this coming in next year so we will see.

I'll drop a note into the technical area after I've carried out the test drive and let you know how they stack up against each other. Should be interesting.
Regards to you all.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

convert , geetings