I am now enlightened (at 45 yrs old!) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 12-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Wave I am now enlightened (at 45 yrs old!)

Hello to all, feel free to have a martini on the rocks or a mans drink if you like!

Ok, I have just bought a 156 2.0 ltr Veloce (2001 model)

I am a petrolhead and a bit of a part time trader of all things automotive over the past 20 yrs or so. keeps me happy, tinkering with cars and i make a little beer money.

Now, since i was 18 and on the good advice of my motor mechanic Dad.."always buy German or Japanese" (he was reluctant to say japanese at first, until he bought his first Jap Toyota Camry when he was in his 60's.....he had to admire their efficiency but he never liked the mitsubishi Zero's that tried to kill him in 1944 in the Pacific!)..my Dad died last yr at 85 yrs of age, having owned a number of Toyota's, his last being the Avensis.

So, I have had stacks of cars, early days with Ford then when i got wiser!!.. Audi's, BMW's (many E36 M3's) Merc's, VW's, Toyota, Honda's, Lexus and a few oddballs along the way..........But Never have i owned an Italian Car!!!!!!!!
My Dad didn't need to tell me 'NOT' to buy one! It was kind of common knowledge in the early 80's that they were 'suspect' and made of old pig iron!

Wind forward 27 years to last week..........Now i have always liked the look (quirky/different) of many Italian cars over the years and after reading an indepth review of a 156 (compared in many ways to the 3 series BM'!...& very favourably!) , i thought 'Mmmmmmmmmm!!!!'.................................. ..........Might try one of those!!!!..seems they have got their act together!

Cut to the chase Now!........went to view this 2001 model 2 Ltr Veloce, that was locally advertised............................

....Bloody Fantastic Been grining from ear to ear for 3 days now!, words cannot explain how i feel about this car........It feels a bit like the first time i got in an M3 but i kind of expected the m3 to 'perform' , I never expected what this car has offered up to me! and for under a Grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arte et Marte, By Skill & by Fighting.

Traded my soul for lifelong car heaven! and poverty !

Last edited by fildigger; 12-06-10 at 00:16. Reason: remove typing error
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Welcome to our secret world
AO Gold Member
Hello and welcome to AO.

Check out the East Midlands lounge for local meets etc.
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO.......promise not to tell too many people, not enough Alfas for everyone, and they are fussy who own them....
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 12-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Thanks for the replies so far chaps,

I dont know how long i will own this 156 Veloce but i sure feel like having a go in a V6 !, the extra running costs don't bother me to much and isn't the V6 the more robust engine??
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

enlightened , yrs