Please allow me to introduce myself........ - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

Please allow me to introduce myself........

Hi from a new member.

A little bit about me.

Over the years (oh dear, that makes me sound old) I've owned a fair few Alfas, a couple of Suds, three Sud Sprints and a Montreal but I kind of drifted away from them after a messy split with a girlfriend led to my Montreal being sold without my knowledge - it was complicated but the net result was I lost the car and all the money I'd put into restoring/rebuilding it.

For the last ten years or so, I've been running various Mercedes E class models including (for the last 18 months or so) an AMG E55 - A car I'd always wanted, which is without doubt an incredible piece of German engineering which ticks all the boxes, it's quick, it's well equipped, it's as reliable as a swiss watch, for a 5.5 litre car it's economical and I struggle to fault it.

But, as always, there's an itch to scratch and for the last few months I've been thinking about switching back to an Alfa, more precisely a GTV for my daily driver. As the kids are getting older, we seldom go out as a family so the need for a big 5 seater is less important (plus we have another car that we can all fit in )

I work from home these days so my mileage is minimal (less than 6k a year) so fuel economy isn't top of my priorities and a car is a fun thing.

Mid life crisis? Nah, unless it's some sort of rolling MLC I think that was covered by the AMG, the year before that it was the miniature traction engine, the year before that replacing all my photographic gear and buying the DSLR/lenses and so on and so forth so I am classing this as a reasoned decision which SWMBO thinks is great as long as she gets to drive it once in a while.

So that's it really, I'm 52, live on the South coast with my other half, two kids, three dogs (Greyhound, lurcher and Bedlington Whippet) and work from home as a 3D modeller and illustrator.
Sponsored Links
welcome to AO..

AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO......I also went the German route when the kids were younger and also had an itch for an my GTV last year and loving every minute I drive her.......
Originally Posted by Stu GTV View Post
I also went the German route when the kids were younger and also had an itch for an Alfa
The 'German route' is a good description, we had a run of W124 estates and a couple of W123 saloons. All of them great cars and 100% German and oh so very practical. I hankered for an E55 purely because if we had to have a 'family car' it had to be one that was fun to drive the idea of stupid amounts of horsepower, enough torque to pull a house down and a 5.5 litre V8 all added to the appeal.

Fun to drive was the hard bit though. Yes, it was great fun to see the looks on people's faces in the traffic light grand prix - nothing much could touch it's 0-60 times. Yes it was fun to take down the track at Bruntingthorpe and yes it was fun when you wanted to overtake but no matter how good the car was, it's never felt like I'm really involved. Almost like the car could cope quite happily without me. Great car? Yes absolutely and one I will miss when (if) I finally decide to sell it but it's got something (completely unquantifiable)missing and yes, I do miss my old Alfas so there's an itch to scratch
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:

Hope you find yourself an Alfa soon
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Good Evening.......and Welcome to the A.O. Forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it here.........
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Welcome to AO, be interested to see what you end up with. Never fancied the German cars as felt they all looked unstylish compared to the Italians and as for reliability..........that's boring !
Thanks for the welcome guys - I'll be spending a lot of time reading and asking questions before I buy anything

Do German cars lack style? I'll agree they are all very German looking so perhaps that is a style all of it's own - I know in VW circles (another of my Mid Life Crises being a 1972 VW Beetle that is sat in the garage whilst I restore it ) 'German Look' is very much a style. I think they lack the flair of Italian design but look at the uproar when Chris Bangle started adding style to the BMWs.

Reliability would be nice though

Last edited by ak3dgfx; 01-06-10 at 11:50.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

« Hey | Navigation »