Hello! I want an Alfa... my friends say DON'T! Age old question... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 28-05-10 Thread Starter
County: Swansea

Member car:

Peugeot 106

Hmmm Hello! I want an Alfa... my friends say DON'T! Age old question...

Hi all!

My first ever post here. New to the forums and actually quite new to driving. Although have practicing off and off for years, I'm 23 and only passed my test just under a year ago!

Anyway, my first car and the one I'm still driving is a Peugeot 106. Poor little thing is showing it's age. I'm looking for a new car and am really interested in an Alfa. And of course my immediate option is the MiTo for its size, style and the fact that its so economically friendly (particularly insurance!). I need a new car as I'll be visiting clients being self employed and really want something a lot newer than what I have now.

So... I have a dilemma. I really want the MiTo, test drove it, love it, great finance option. However, I have told all my friends, colleagues and family that I'm interested in buying one and almost all of them are laughing at me and SERIOUSLY advising me NOT to bother with an Alfa Romeo. I understand they have a poor history when it comes to long-term quality and value. I've been told that they are all prone to constant problems and lose their value very quickly. Top Gear mentioned this in their review and seem worried about long the MiTo will actually 'last'. A friend of mine actulaly told me tonight that if something goes wrong with the car, the parts are extremely expensive! But yeh, I've been told that this applies to both new and old cars. I was actually quite surprised to see a 10 year old Spider for sale locally for just over 4k that was almost perfect with low mileage, especially considering they sell for 30k-ish new!

Is this information correct? And does this apply to all their new cars too? I'm hoping any responses won't be biased, but honest. I don't want to end up being a fool among everyone I know!

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your replies...

Last edited by WaxMechaniK; 28-05-10 at 23:16.
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia
Hi WaxMechaniK welcome to AO. If you have a look through our tech forums you'll find out lots about our Alfa's. Talk to some of the MiTo owners see what they say. Good luck with it and I hope you get your Alfa
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

how many of your friends have ACTUALLY owned an alfa ? are they talking from experience or just spouting third hand opinions ?

i ran my 155 for 14 months with no serious problems , it never let me down and i would have happily driven it anywhere , i sold it and bitterly regret it , so much that i am buying another 155

as mentioned , talk with some mito owners talk to people who OWN the cars

just my 2p worth

hope you find the right car for you
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Good Morning.....and Welcome to the A.O. Forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it here..........
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO......don't listen to "friends", they are only jealous, go for it......
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

We have our own " Welsh People " thread on here, if you wish to pop along and post a comment........

BTW....I live in Swansea too, so don't forget to wave !!!.......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

age , alfa , friends , question