new boy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 26-05-10 Thread Starter
County: Cambridgeshire
new boy

Hi All

As a soon to be Alfa owner, i thought i'd say a few words, I live in the Peterborough area and have always been fascinated by the Alfas, although always backed off from buying one, the closest I came was six years ago but the Mercedes C230 Kompressor won over a 156 sportwagen, since then the other half has been racking the miles up in the Merc, now up to 198000, but in some respects I wish I had bought the Alfa as the Merc build quality is dreadfull, it has been mechanicaly very good but the bodys are very prone to rust, which i have to say is not something I see on Alfas anymore.
So why now to buy an Alfa, well the missus is pouring petrol in the merc at a silly rate and my xj6 is worse (don't do many miles in that though) so we were looking to get shot of the jag and she would have a more economical car, we looked to see what was available but i just couldn't pay money for the likes of renault megan or peugeot 307s (I do like a nice car, last one was porsche 944 and before that mk2 golf gti) so then i stumble across a couple of diesel Alfas, then i make a mistake of driving a 147 and decide this would be a fabulous car for the other half, i was very surprised at the way it drove, very tight and solid and pretty quick with the 1.9 diesel 16v (JTD thingy m thingy).
As yet i haven't found the right one, they are a bit thin on the ground at sensible prices but i will keep looking, i also have an idea to change the merc for a 159 as this is due to be replaced, E class estate was the favourite, but I may have caught a bug by driving the 147.
Bit more about me, i work as a mechanical engineer, do all my own maintenance (i haven't put a car in a workshop for 26yrs, except mots and bodywork, although i did respray the porsche myself) so i'm pretty hands on and will do anything on the cars including engine rebuilds and a/c servicing and repairs, i have 27yrs experience of vehicle building and maintenance but outside of the car trade.
I have a couple of technical questions, which i will post in the relevant place.

Thanks and have a good day.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to sounds like you have been "itching" for an Alfa for a long time, glad you decided to scratch the itch.............

you mention a/c you do re-gas??.......
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Good Morning.....and Welcome to the A.O. Forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it here..........

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself