A warning to all - My Story. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 07-05-10 Thread Starter
County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa 166

A warning to all - My Story.

Ello, ye fine members of ze Alfaowner clube.

My story is a sad one. Many years ago, ven I was just a small boy of twentysomething, I wanted a car of passion and virility - a car with character and personality - a car with uuumph! I decided to buy a used BMW M5.

When I went to buy ze M5, the owner collected me from the station and took me to his house, which had many cars there. I realised he was trading. Of all the cars there, ze M5 stood out beautifully. It was white, with the M-colours delicately laid along the side of the car. It had a beautiful dark interior and large spoiler on the rear, yet ... yet, it was as tasteless to me as cold porridge without sugar, honey or that other thing - a spoon!

"Would ya loik wana these uvvers" ze nice gent said to me, realising my emptiness.

However, as I mentioned before, the M5 was the best and the others...they would have been like driving a used fridge, on wheels - it may go, but only very uninterestingly. As we both headed towards his car to leave, I looked up and there, standing on the edge of the long drive, was a specticle, a nightmare or vision I do not know. It was like a thunder clap, with presence. It was unusual, unlike anything I ever recall seeing before. It made me shiver with fear and yet, made my heart jump with delight. No, it was not my wife. It was a metallic storm grey, Alfa 164 3.0v6 12valve.

"How about that one?" I said (my mouth realising I was in shock and taking the lead).

"Er... that one?" he said. "Well, er, it is my own car ... but then ... OK! Why not."

With that we hopped in the car and he took me for a test drive, gently hinting on what the car could do. Then he offered me a drive. The hairs on my arms stood on end. It was as if someone had wedged a coat hanger in my mouth. Only my eyes were strong enough to restrict my smile to the confines of my face.

Sad to say ... I bought that car. Life has never been the same since. I ... I ... I now have an Alfa habit that I just cannot kick. I bought a Mazda 626 once. ONCE! - in attempt to return to a normal life! Promptly sold it and bought myself another Alfa 164.

Now, wherever I go, I go on searching. Searching with an insatiable appetite. Searching the night (and day). Searching, for that moment ... when I can say.... "YES! ANOTHER LOVER OF FINE MOTORING! ANOTHER PERSON WHO BELIEVES DRIVING SHOULD BE MORE THAN SITTING BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A SHOVEL (routine motoring) OR LADIES HANDBAG (most executive motoring). ANOTHER PERSON WHO BELIEVES MOTORING SHOULD BE INSPIRATIONAL NOT UNSPIRATIONAL. YAAAAAAAAGH! IT'S ANOTHER ALFA DRIVER!!!!" and flash my headlights like a Kamikazi on caffine.

So next time you are calmly driving down the road and suddenly notice a mad man coming the other way, flashing his headlights and waving out of the window as if to warn of the coming of the tsunami as seen in the movie 2012 - don't worry. It's probably me, just saying ... 'ello.'
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

156, RX7

Nice story

I'm also addicted to Alfa's but then that no surprise since my last car was a sei abarth or the go kart as my hubby referred to it! Was very pleased to get shot of it even if I did lose half the money I paid for it in the 1st place.

Thankfully the proceeds paid for my gorgeous beast which I will only sell once I can afford a 159

Welcome to this lovely forum
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

AO Gold Member
County: Peterborough, Cambs
Great stuff Oh and welcome Alfalover
AO Member
County: Limburg
Welcome to the madhouse..
You are damned right sir!! The 164 was criticised for being a) too big b) being FWD c) being a Fiat d) torque steer e) not a 'real' Alfa..whatever that means...and so on.

And yet, I think it proved to be one of the best and most likeable Alfas ever made. I had three over the years and I have nothing but the fondest memories of them...except when I got made redundant and the big bad boss came and took my first 164 away in 1992.

Long may you enjoy your Alfas, and just keep taking the tablets

AO Platinum Member
County: Languedoc Roussillon
Hello and welcome to AO........great introduction to our wacky world.......i don't suppose your car is red?????.........
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

The virus is strong in this one.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfas are like rough diamonds.

They're beautiful and yet, we know they are flawed.

But even so, when they scratch you, they leave something under the skin that can never be removed.
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Hello and Welcome :wave:

Nice intro post
AO Gold Member
Another one bitten by the bug
(Post Link) post #12 of 15 Old 08-05-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 166

At last a home (flash-flash)! Thanks for the warm welcome! Greatly appreciated.

And as for you Alfa Lincs: "Right you are!" The 164 is a special car. Unique too. It's the only car I've found with form, elegance, power (enough to enjoy and not kill yourself or others with) and strength. The first ones '88 to '91 perhaps, were the perfect car.

In supermarkets people could bang their doors into yours all they liked - no damage due to the handy plastic molding that covered the lower part of the door. Some nut in a BMW 3 series did an emergency stop immediately in front of my car while having an arguement with his associate. When I stopped (after a second or so's notice), his boot had popped up and the whole rear of the car was shaped like the front of my Alfa. I was devastated - so much so that I couldn't look to assess the damage to my own car. After realising he was at fault he suggested he'd drop it (????) and I should just go, as there was no damage to my car (lying to me, as if to add insult to injury). You know, he was right. Not even a headlamp lense was damaged. After about two weeks I was able to discern one side of the bumper sat about 4mm further in than the other side.

Not only are the 164's love at first sight but also love at first collision! I bought the 166 becuase I could not find a quality 164 at the time, only to discover the 166 had foam (?) behind the bumper? If they really wanted to make the bumper ineffectual, why not use lace or tissue paper?

Anyway, has anyone ever driven a 164 2ltr v6 Turbo? It looks like a 164 3ltr, but is a 2ltr, with a turbo (and presumably has 164 steel behind the bumper)! Sounds fun and I was pondering on whether it was worth the journey to continental Europe and the delights of enduring the steering wheel on the other side to buy one.
I thought Jason Padina had a 2.0 V6 Turbo 164 in Spain amongst his other Alfas...but his website doesn't mention it so maybe I have memory failure.....again....

Click the home Icon to see photo albums of his 164s.

Last edited by AlfaLincs; 08-05-10 at 17:30.
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Good Morning......and Welcome to the A.O. Forum, I'm sure you will enjoy it here........
AO Gold Member
County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

You're a nutter! Thankfully however, our trained ambulance drivers spotted you straightaway and delivered you through the doors of this forum. You can now rest assured that there is always someone on here (most of us are professionally trained), who can help you with your addiction. So welcome to AO and I hope you enjoy your Alfa as much as your first post would seem to indicate

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

story , warning