Rarebear - Interviewed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 03-02-03 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Rarebear - Interviewed

Alfa Owner member review

Forum name: Rarebear

Lives: Rijswijk , The Netherlands ( Zuid Holland)

Marital status: married (39 years) , two daughters, 4 grandchildren, 1 flatcoated retriever

What car(s) do you drive and why?
I drive a 146 TI since 1996, I like the line of the car and the great 2.0 TS engine, after driving a 155 I wanted a car with a hatchback. I drove FIAT cars for most of my motorized life, I had a father who was a FIAT mechanic and a younger brother who is an Alfa mechanic. I owned almost all Fiat models since 1962, I owned several 600’s with all sorts of modifications, the last one was super fast and had the Abarth oil cooler and water cooler up front... Nardi pistons and twin choke Webers, but with two children not very practical.
The last Fiat was a Croma Turbo i.e. a very underestimated car in my opinion.
I had a turbo boost modification on that one, and the car had approx. 190 BHP.

What modifications have you made to your car?
Not many, a K & N airfilter, sportexhaust, alu pedals, 4 point Sabelt (which I do not use often), lowered the rear suspension 2 cm.

tell us about Alfas in your country? How are they seen? Are they popular there, many clubs, etc?
They are rather popular but mainly by the younger drivers, oldies like me driving Alfa’s are considered a little crazy.. (and I am glad that’s the case) . Holland is a VW and Opel country, Dutch drivers look at the trade-in price first (we are a thrifty nation) and technical specs are last on the list.

What started your passion for Alfa Romeo?

As a young boy I followed car racing and in those days Alfa was mostly a winner
The history of Alfa is one which is unique in the Car history. I call it pedigree !.

What do you like most about Alfas?

The styling and engines,

What do you like least about Alfas?
The finishing could be better, squeaks and rattles are not high tech !
Electronic sometimes give problems, but I hear same stories from other makes.
I do not like the toothed belt system too much, my previous Alfa 155 had a chain, and in my view that is more reliable . I have seen to many ruined engines due to ripped or misplaced belts. My own 146 suffered a major disaster after 6000 km due to the spanner wheel disintegrated.

What would be your dream cars?
The usual suspects!
F355
F360
Aston Martin DB7 and Vanquish
Fiat Abarth 595 ss
Fiat Abarth 1000 TC

No necessarily in that order!
What will be your next car?
147 GTA (maybe)

What car would you least like to have?
A Japanese car, not that they don’t make good cars, but the whole history of copying
In the past. In fact stealing other people’s ideas does not appeal to me. .

What would be your ideal drive in an Alfa, (destination, passenger, driving music, etc)?

From Rijswijk to Modena with my brother (who is an absolute Ferrari nut), Dire Straits and
Queen on the CD system. My brother visits the Maranello plant every year. He has an Italian friend with connections and he even drove his Fiat over the test circuit Fiorano!
So my brother is already anointed!!!

What interests do you have outside of Alfas?

Airplanes, I have been flying a little, but the weather in Holland is usually godawful !
And the rules very strict (we are a bit overpopulated!).

Tell us something nobody knows about you. (e.g. special skill, ever been on TV, etc)
I have been on TV a couple of times in quizzes, the first time in 1965/66 with subject Ian Fleming and 007. Won the ‘big’ price (then 1000 guilders) which was about two months salary from Shell (my employer). Best extra was a Rolex Milgauss watch which I received from the dealer in Holland. That watch served me for 35 years and I sold it in 2001 for a record price (I dare not say how much, because nobody will believe it), but you could buy a 156 V6 with all the extras for it and then some! In fact I made some good money with TV quizzes over the years, and had some defeats as well I must admit!

Any ambitions?:
Stay healthy for a long time! It is still fantastic to be a free man without financial worries. And every month a healthy check from the Oil boys.
I would love to own a plane, that is a wild dream, but I have the feeling that someday that will happen.

Any humorous Alfa or car related stories you wish to share with us ?

Some years ago I drove Alfas for a dealer to customers or collected cars from the importer.
When the first 156 2.4 JTD arrived they wanted to know what the fuel consumption was so they sent me to the north of the Netherlands and back (about 500km round trip). Somewhere in the north I got attention from an Audi 100 (or some such, I’m not sure because I never saw his backside, but it was a big Audi) who tried to outrun me! I never got in trouble and could easily fence of the big German... I had the 156 on 230 on the meter!
And afterwards the consumption turned out to be a little less than 7 litre. Amazing!
Alfa diesels are definitively cool !!

What do you like most about Alfaowner forum?
The reactions on certain threads! I love it
Especially the technical ones.

Any favourite threads, posts you wish to share with us?
The 146 TI (and 145 Q) threads, because I am driving one since 1996 and know all about its idiosyncrasies.

How would you like to see the forum develop in the future?
More technical stuff i.e. problems and how to diagnose and solve them.

[CENTER]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Nice one rarebear!
Love this:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">600’s with all sorts of modifications, the last one was super fast and had the Abarth oil cooler and water cooler up front... Nardi pistons and twin choke Webers, <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Ivo
AO Gold Member

<strong>Alfa diesels are definitively cool !!
</strong>

RareBear, you stole my heart

Great stuff, though. You're right: older men in Alfa's are REAL AlfaLovers

And I will watch more TV quizzzzesss from now on wink
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

What can I say? FANTASTIC review Rarebear! Really!
You're a true Alfisti!

And about the 39 years of marriage: RESPECT! You see too many marriages break up in these days! I hope my marriage will also be as "old fashioned" as yours and last a lifetime!

Nice to see an "oldies" chap like you being crazy enough and infected with the Alfa virus! And I can't WAIT to see you burning rubber like mad in your future Alfa 147 GTA! Eat that you young rice-race boys! Just fantastic!

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And every month a healthy check from the Oil boys.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now I understand why you're in favour of a war against Iraq: it's all in your own interests! Just joking man!

Geweldig leuk verhaal! Ik heb echt genoten!

P.S. So the fuel consumption for Alfa Romeo's diesels is actually a lot less then stated

I don't need no one to tell me about heaven, I look at my son and daughter and I believe.

Quote of the month: "Extremist ideas bring NON-tolerance as a result, because people having their face stuck up so deep in their Ar5e that they can't smell nor are interested in other's 5hit!"
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mel Bonkers:
<strong>And about the 39 years of marriage: RESPECT! You see too many marriages break up in these days! I hope my marriage will also be as "old fashioned" as yours and last a lifetime!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe an Alfa is the secret to a long and happy marriage!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RicksAlfas:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mel Bonkers:
<strong>And about the 39 years of marriage: RESPECT! You see too many marriages break up in these days! I hope my marriage will also be as "old fashioned" as yours and last a lifetime!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe an Alfa is the secret to a long and happy marriage!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't know Rick: my wife complains a lot about getting sick when I drive the Alfa In her opinion the VW Golf we previously had and in which she also takes driving lessons was FAR more comfortable and it didn't/doesn't make her sick
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mel Bonkers:
<strong>Don't know Rick: my wife complains a lot about getting sick when I drive the Alfa </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mel - maybe you drive the Alfa with more brio intenso(!!) and this makes her sick.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

What is brio intenso?
Ivo
AO Gold Member

sounds like some new & healthy butter to fry your meat
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

<strong>What is brio intenso? </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's crap Italian for "with verve" i.e. giving it some go through the gears and round the corners!!
AO Gold Member

Hi Mel !!! I am scared to death with the prospect of a war in the Middle East...
so I don't take offence about your remark !!! in fact really funny... Shell is also scared ****less, a war will hurt also the Oil boys !
and all of us, for that matter. let's hope and pray that the US and UK get to their senses ! frown
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by rarebear:
<strong>Hi Mel !!! I am scared to death with the prospect of a war in the Middle East...
so I don't take offence about your remark !!! in fact really funny... Shell is also scared ****less, a war will hurt also the Oil boys !
and all of us, for that matter. let's hope and pray that the US and UK get to their senses ! </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Rarbear,

Good to see that in the end we're all human and we don't want a war! And I really believe that you would be the last one to want a war! But it was just a joke, that was derived from your very inspiring interview!

Again I really loved to read it! Very enjoyable and fun!
AO Gold Member

way to go mate wink
Quick_Shift

Great stuff

Drive safe

Carmelo

AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

What a nice reading, Dolf. Thank you!

It's great to see an appreciator of good things. With sense but also with nerve!

Age doesn't apply to this Alfisti family!

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> The last Fiat was a Croma Turbo i.e. a very underestimated car in my opinion <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Absolutely! Only someone who didn't got a ride with that Turbo i.e. could say it was a crap. It was really a fast car.

Hugo Sá
(2011) Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Pack Sport 17", Pack Comfort
(2009) Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTDm 16V QV, 170hp+360nm, Bilstein B4+TI springs, ConnectNav G2, Autodelta Air filter, Brembo Disks, Satin Mirror Caps
(2002/2009) Alfa Romeo 147, 1.6TS QV, Autodelta Remap, Autodelta Air filter, Eibach Pro System Kit

Social and Automotive Sports Photography
AO Member

Great to get some insight into your other passions!

I have friends in Den Helder so 3-4 times a year I (+wife) sprint down your way, pedal to the metal. May see you cruisin' the motorways some time!

Regards,
AO Silver Member

I usually don't read these Reviews, but as it was your suggestion, I did, and I liked it a lot... I will read the other AO's reviews!!!

Take care Dolph!!! wink and I hope you're not Australian... wink you know why...

Best regards,

-Andrea
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by artlover:
<strong>I usually don't read these Reviews, but as it was your suggestion, I did, and I liked it a lot... I will read the other AO's reviews!!!
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So, this means you haven't read mine Andrea? wink
AO Silver Member

Sorry Hugo, I haven't... but i will, believe me... but until monday, I'm off for today!!!

-Andrea

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
interviewed , rarebear