Ivo Interviewed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 29-11-02 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Ivo Interviewed

Alfa Owner member review

Forum name: Ivo

Age: Jesus man, why this question. (Anyway, the answer is cryptically hidden in my reply)

Occupation: Account Manager, selling Fiber Optic related products.

Lives: below sea level 

Marital status: living together with girlfriend & cat

What cars do you drive and why?
Alfa 147 (company leasecar)
Golf III (girlfriends car)

Why? The Golf because she wanted a Polo, but that’s just a crappy womens car (hehehe, I drove 3 Seat Polo’s (Cordoba) for many years). The 147, well see below >>>

What started your passion for Alfa Romeo?

I wil get flamed for this, but I have no real passion for Alfa in specific. Nor do I know a lot about the heritage and all that other Alfa marketing stuff. I have a passion for cars in general, let’s say I’m mad about cars, and I keep track off the modern car news etc.
Though I can remember a father of my brothers friend having a 75 3.0 tuned by SaVaLi years ago … very impressive ….
What I do know is that Alfa makes the best looking cars around and that my girlfriend insisted on getting a 147 above the Leon, Stilo, Golf, Bora, Passat, Laguna and all other cars I was looking at.
I must admit though, that since I’m driving my first Alfa, I became more interested in other Alfa’s and the brand in general. Heck, I even visit a brand related forum many times a day. I never did this before. Hmmm, is that the Alfa virus getting to me?

What do you like most about Alfas?
The looks, sorry, but that’s it. In my diesel case, the engine is not the best around, performance wise that is. I would have got a 150 bhp Golf TDi, but at this moment I’m glad I didn’t … this 147 has something special.

What do you like least about Alfas?
The image of the people driving it here in Holland. Alfa drivers have a bit the name of being over-ambitious yuppies. Like the marketing guy in the BBC serie The Office, I think you know what I mean.
Perhaps I needed to talk about reliability related issues here, but that’s not my style…

What would be your dream cars?.
Maserati GT3200. It has been for several years now. I actually decided that I will buy one if I ever loose the privilege of a company car. I only got to sit in a few brand new ones @ the Dutch importer, never driven one though…. damn Rapallo should be so happy 
Also (on shorter term) any more then 4 cylinder JTD or TDi would be very welcome. Hey,
can’t a guy have common (rail) dreams as well ? :-D
I had the chance of driving in a Bentley Continental R (turbo stuff) with about 750 bhp once, damn that would be ok for me also.

What car would you least like to have?
Any Opel (sorry Pete). I just do not like their heritage, errr, I mean looks and baseball cap people driving them.

What would be your ideal drive in an Alfa, (destination, passenger, driving music, etc)?
On my way to the Maser dealer to pick up my brand new 3200 GT (well, they had it in stock for some years and as I insisted on not wanting the Coupé, the sold me the oldie).

Serious, as my girl and I decided to have NO kids, we’re planning to stop working when I’m about 45 and then move to a country with a lower living standard (read cheap to live). I just cannot get used to the idea I’ll have to work in Holland for ever. So my ideal drive would be the one were me & my girl drive in our Hanomag 4x4 Camper towards some place in Africa to settle for the rests of our lives.

Any humorous Alfa or car related stories you wish to share with us?
My first car was a 21 year old Daf 46 SL Variomatic. The SL meant SuperLuxe: headrests and sky leather upholstery … Daf use to make not only Trucks, but also normal cars in the early 70’s. The Variomatic (you know, the CVT avant-la-lettre) was their best invention. I was member of the Dutch Daf Club and there was a guy (there always is one) who had put a Renault 5 Turbo engine + open webers in a Daf 66. This fitted very well, because the later liquid cooled Daf engines were in fact built by Renault.
So imagine, this Daf 66 (having the same image as the Robin Reliant in your country), looking all original, blasting a BMW 320 @ the traffic lights… It just went and went and went, having max power at all speeds thanks to the Variomatic. Great stuff!

Anyway, you had to be there …..

Not very humorous, but I have great memories related to Rollers and the UK. My ex-brother-in-law had an old Silver Shadow I. Together, we visited the UK about 8 times in total to follow technical courses, visit the Crew factory, visiting the yearly Rolls & Bentley show in June and looking for spare parts on different scrap heaps around your wet but friendly country. Especially the Aston Martin factory visit I will remember, guys hammering on metal bodywork and that gorgeous V8 engine build by hand ….

What interests do you have outside of Alfas?
Hmm, let me see. As I wrote before, cars in general are my passion. Music, I just need to have and maintain my CD collection (any buying tips anybody?).
I also picked an old sport I started years ago: skydiving. And I’m absolutely crazy about this. Furthermore, in addition to my normal occupation, I’ve got my own website related company, like almost all the techies in my generation 

Tell us something nobody knows about you. (e.g. special skill, ever been on TV, etc)
I like to cook Italian, in fact, I do this every weekend. Genua style Spaghetti and home baked Ciabatta with sea salt are my specialities ….

Any ambitions?:
I’ve just got to have more post# than you Pete. And I have the dream about completely change my lifestyle when I’m 45 off course.

What do you like most about Alfaowner forum?
Having a laugh at off topic posts, but surely also the amount of advice, nice-to-know-things and tips that you can share amongst the complete internet connected world.

Any favourite threads, posts you wish to share?
I’m always posting in the Way Off Topic thread

[CENTER]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

Nice story Ivo.

And we share the same interest: Italian cooking.

Selespeed
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

Ivo,

Nice interview man! Top notch! Maybe you should put that Variomatic in your JTD
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Ivo, nice to read your story mate!! wink

Seams like many of us actually like to cook Italian... I might leave here my special macaroni by Hugo

About the music, may I suggest you the Best of U2 - 1990-2000? I can't stop listen to the B cd, specially "even better then the real thing" and "Discotheque"
AO Gold Member

cool interview Ivo wink
and i dont think you will like my music tastes
(Post Link) post #6 of 32 Old 30-11-02 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Didnt get to read it earlier.... Nice one Ivo, but at what stage did you buy the Reliant?

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Heck, I even visit a brand related forum many times a day. <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's weird... I didnt think that you left?

Ian gets his virtual coat!
Ivo
AO Gold Member

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by alfaowner:
<strong>Didnt get to read it earlier.... Nice one Ivo, but at what stage did you buy the Reliant?

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Heck, I even visit a brand related forum many times a day. <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's weird... I didnt think that you left?

Ian gets his virtual coat!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ian, I never had a Reliant. I got a virtual one at some point on some strange brand related forum
Ivo
AO Gold Member

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Banflu:
<strong>cool interview Ivo wink
and i dont think you will like my music tastes </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Try me
Ivo
AO Gold Member

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mel Bonkers:
<strong>Ivo,

Nice interview man! Top notch! Maybe you should put that Variomatic in your JTD </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Must do this

Anyway: more infor on a Daf 46 can be found here;

http://www.dafclub.nl/modellen/modellen_46.php
Ivo
AO Gold Member

Tell us something nobody knows about you. (e.g. special skill, ever been on TV, etc)...

Actually: I've been on the Norwegian TV when they had a story about a cook that did ice climbing. My girlfriend & I were doing an Ice climb with him at the moment they interviewed him, just pure coincidence. Did'nt remember were it was exxactly though... I have still have it on VHS
This summer I was on Dutch national TV (NOS Journaal) during the news, when they did a topic on skydiving (komkommertijd ). They just had to fill an interview and they used somebody landing "old style", pure luck they choose the part were I came down, so that somebody was me
AO Gold Member

County: Antwerpen
Great interview Ivo, but tell me, how in the hell do you find time to post that much overhere ??? I mean: work, your own company,sky diving, italian coocking... wink
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

And ice climbing wink

Ivo must have someone posting here for him
Siro

Ivo, seems like Alfa Romeo drivers have a somewhat different image than in other places in Europe. Traditionally the yuppie type exec was associated with BMW however Audi may be the new brand of choice for "go-getters".

I remember Audi even tried to market themselves as a non-flash, thinking man/womans alternative to the default choice of BMW. Virtually everyone I know in the advertising business consequently now drives an Audi. Then again, advertising people asre not known for their inspired choices are they wink

Nemesis

Just one question Ivo (don't answer if it's too personal), but why the choice of not having baby goats?

wink

Ivo
AO Gold Member

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Nemesis:
<strong>Just one question Ivo (don't answer if it's too personal), but why the choice of not having baby goats?

wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, you see Nem, I have lazy cum wink

Justv kidding, it's nothing biological as far as we know

We thought about this very often and decided we would be bad parents. I have not even enough time on my hands to give our cat attention, so don't even think about kids.
Also, we would not be able to raise the kids without getting them in problems because of our different approach in live.
It just wouldn't work, difficult to explain.

Anyway, my girl thinks the same so I guess we're lucky to have met eachother in this wink
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ivo:
<strong>Well, you see Nem, I have lazy cum wink

Justv kidding, it's nothing biological as far as we know
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You see Ivo... torque doens't work for that too wink
Only revs!!!
Ivo
AO Gold Member

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Wimster:
<strong>Great interview Ivo, but tell me, how in the hell do you find time to post that much overhere ??? I mean: work, your own company,sky diving, italian coocking... wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're right, I never have time to do nothing

Then again, doing nothing bores me
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ivo:
<strong>
We thought about this very often and decided we would be bad parents. I have not even enough time on my hands to give our cat attention, so don't even think about kids.
Anyway, my girl thinks the same so I guess we're lucky to have met eachother in this wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If I might say Ivo, any choice you both take is a good one. And I might applaud your idea: there's nothing worst than have children and no time or will to take care of them. So it's better not to have them.
I say this because of my profession and the sad and problematic situations I have to deal sometimes.

I might also say that, in many countries the society stipulated the ideal of get married and have children or you would be seemed as different by others. Damn such retrograde ideas.

Be happy the way you both want, it's the most important and what I think.

It's just a personal thought mate.
wink

Hugo Sá
(2011) Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Pack Sport 17", Pack Comfort
(2009) Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTDm 16V QV, 170hp+360nm, Bilstein B4+TI springs, ConnectNav G2, Autodelta Air filter, Brembo Disks, Satin Mirror Caps
(2002/2009) Alfa Romeo 147, 1.6TS QV, Autodelta Remap, Autodelta Air filter, Eibach Pro System Kit

Social and Automotive Sports Photography
Ivo
AO Gold Member

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by hugo147:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ivo:
<strong>
Anyway, my girl thinks the same so I guess we're lucky to have met eachother in this wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If I might say Ivo, any choice you both take is a good one. And I might applaud your idea: there's nothing worst than have children and no time or will to take care of them. So it's better not to have them.
I say this because of my profession and the sad and problematic situations I have to deal sometimes.

I might also say that, in many countries the society stipulated the ideal of get married and have children or you would be seemed as different by others. Damn such retrograde ideas.

Be happy the way you both want, it's the most important and what I think.

It's just a personal thought mate.
wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" Hugo !

Indeed, I knew a guy who wanted children only because of the fact that you should have them when you're married He's divorced now

Somtimes I see people with children and I think "well, in that way I could even raise them"

Mind you, it's not only the time problem. If I really wanted children, I would find the time...
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

Makes me wonder how my future child/children would be Maybe it's better to keep my Bonkers gene's from getting passed to the next generation wink
Nemesis

There are definately some parents out there who probably shouldn't have children. There are some that definately shouldn't...and there are some that should have been sterilised at some point before they did (have children).

wink

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Probably the problem began with the parents of there parents wink
GTV6

I'm sort of with Ivo on this. Right now, I would make a rubbish dad. I would like to be a great dad, and I'm some way off that. I want to be better rounded as a person, more secure financially and generally less of a selfish dumb-a55 before I commit to being a parent. But then, maybe being a dad or a mum (suddenly) makes you these things because you are forced to shape up for the sake of your kids? I'm kinda not prepared to take the risk to find out...

g

Siro

With you both fellas. That fatherhood business looks a bit of a tricky one to me, I mean you can't just try it and then if you don't like it, leg it. Well you can but that wouldn't really be the decent thing to do would it.

I keep sort of mulling it over...

AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Siro:
<strong>With you both fellas. That fatherhood business looks a bit of a tricky one to me, I mean you can't just try it and then if you don't like it, leg it. Well you can but that wouldn't really be the decent thing to do would it.

I keep sort of mulling it over...</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Siro,

I think I understand what you're saying. As my wife and I would love to have a couple of them little Bonkers, I myself sometimes think "my god, will I be a good father? etc. etc." My wife really believes that I would be and I believe that my wife would be a great mother (seeing her communicate and play with my little cousins). So I guess it's something you just have to do or not, but when going for it......you have to go all the way. There's no turning back!

I don't need no one to tell me about heaven, I look at my son and daughter and I believe.

Quote of the month: "Extremist ideas bring NON-tolerance as a result, because people having their face stuck up so deep in their Ar5e that they can't smell nor are interested in other's 5hit!"

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
interviewed , ivo