Hugo 147 Interviewed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 13-11-02 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Hugo 147 Interviewed

Forum name:

Hugo 147

Hugo. Just H looks fine but Hugo it’s the real name. Not Bond

The paper says 31. It must be. But It’s not something the worries me.

Teacher. Subject: Visual Education and Technology. Sounds nice? The main area it’s about art. It’s something like design, draw and painting. This with some instruction about technology of materials. I give it (in a small scale) to children with 10 to 12 years old.

Lives:

Since ever in Maia, a small satellite village of Oporto, the second largest city of Portugal. Know the Oporto wine?

Marital status:

Divorced.

What cars do you drive and why?

Well, now I drive my beautiful Bella – read 147. Came from Lancia since 90, after two Y’s (first a Y10 then a Y) that made with me more than 100k itch. No problems at all. And I really drive them hard many times. Funny to drive (in it’s class of course) and practical. But first car ever to drive was a classic my father had: a Fiat 850special. He sold the car and I’ve never saw it again. I’m sorrow about that. I would ever sell it. When the 147 came out I saw it as a living dream. From Alfa I only expected cars that give you pleasure to drive. But with that shape it was love at first sight. Wait the right moment and bought it. Can’t be apart. Even the early mornings are less painful if I have to drive it. I’m stuck with Italian cars. Besides, I’ve droved for no special reason a lot of other cars.

What started your passion for Alfa Romeo?

I really don’t know how this started. I think because I only have eyes for Italian cars Alfa was a typical step to give. When I was a child I used to hear about competitions, not that I understood much about with 10 but I’ve always connected Italian cars and sport. Probably Ferrari has part of the guilty. What I remember well was the sound of a SprintVeloce that a neighbourhood had. Fantastic… sounded like music to me. And so one of the first 33 that an ex boyfriend of one of my female cousins had. Some km I did with him also. Amusing boxer. The GTV was something rare but unforgettable too. When the SZ came out… I only thought: That’s it, that’s the one – Alfa Romeo. Oh, and the DTM that I used to see with the 155… fabulous! But you see, first I went for Lancia. Just to check it…
Just remember, in 93 at an Automobile show here, I blink an eye to the 145 wink It was the presentation here.

How common are Alfas in Portugal? Is there a large interest in Alfas there?

Alfa in Portugal never was a generalist brand. Fiat came to Portugal caring the other two brands – Lancia and Alfa Romeo, but just the motherhouse had a big impact here. For many years Fiats were the most selling cars. Followed by Renault and Opel. The main reason was the financial factor. Fiat was always more popular and less expensive… and I might say engaged to drive. In my opinion, people how always looked at cars not as a way of transportation but mainly as a pleasure looked at Alfa. Other factor was the reliability many, many times criticized. Sometimes with reason, but many without any cause. Still today, many people have a wrong idea about Alfa Romeo. I would say, people how don’t know nothing. People how stopped on period after buying some German car, and never even looked at one 155 or a 164.
The big impact came after the Alfa 156. Not that it became a common brand, but, more refined and exclusive. And the 147 just reaffirmed that. It’s a “well thought passion” for sure.
There is also a Club – Clube Alfista de Portugal, ( http://www.clubealfistaportugal.com ) well organized from what I know and with nice initiatives. Remember that, last September we had the first Alfa Day in Portugal.

What do you like most about Alfas?

His past and his present. The brand and the cars. As a subjacent concept I have about cars that Alfa turns real – a car is to be driven and not to drive himself. That’s the pleasure of driving. Other wise you are just a guest and you will never felt just one, you with your car.

What do you like least about Alfas?

This is difficult… difficult to point some glitches when its the All that counts. There is nothing perfect but there are things closed to perfection. I feel this like a personal philosophy – never be totally satisfied with something. This make us look further for perfection and that’s what evolution should be. It shouldn’t make us annoying humans, trying to find every anomaly there is, no way. We have to live with what we have but if we can make and know how do better, well, let’s do it.

What would be your dream cars?

Here it goes: Lancia Delta S4; Lancia 037; Ferrari 288GTO; Maserati Biturbo; Alfa Junior Z; Alfa SZ and now… 147GTA.

What car would you least like to have?

They are so many…! At least one to start: the old Opel Corsa (first series) the car that I had for instruction. Painfully

What would be your ideal drive in an Alfa, (destination, passenger, driving music, etc)?
Destination:

Moscow. That’s just an old dream. The new one is Portugal/Belgium. Guess why wink I can’t say I would like to have a passenger because I might prefer to feel my won rhythm and not someone always asking to stop for toilet. But (!) some feminine passenger is welcome. Just need to like Alfas and she doesn’t need to be known, like any public figure. Be friendly and truth. No need to lie about liking Alfas just to be with me wink
Music… put some 80’s, 90’s for a low rhythm… put some Alfa engine sound for a complete fast and glorious drive.

Any humorous Alfa or car related stories you wish to share with us?

I have some related car stories. I can say they are all humorous but I smile when I remember some. My first accident happens 10 years ago. After a good dinner I was driving to school. I was studding at night at that time and I had an Y10. Well, the dinner was so good I felt asleep on the way, just for a brief second but enough to open my eyes just before crashing into an old Golf. No one suffered any harmful but it was a complete surprise for me: what the hell happen? After that, never, never again I slept at the wheel. I smile about this because it could have been much worst.
I remember now that one-year long time ago, some friends, 4 actually and me went to see some classifications from the worldChampion Rally in Portugal. Damn, we were crazy guys. There was no street to get there and we had to pull sometimes. Can you imagine 5 guys sleeping inside a Fiat Tipo, with a Tv over the bonnet, connected to the cigarette lighter in a mountain with no one closed and almost zero degrees? That white Tipo… that was us. When arriving home we were worst them gypsies in mud.

What interests do you have outside of Alfas?

I spend some of my time doing other things, you know… I’m a bit of techno geek. I take sometime reading too. Some web page design. But it’s not just about computers, but also about my professional area. Paint and photography. And any sport with wheels gets my attention.

Tell us something nobody knows about you. (e.g. special skill, ever been on TV, etc)

Has far as I know I’ve never been on TV. But I’ve been inside a police car once No, I didn’t do anything. I was 9 years old and I was conducting the Police to a school near my place that had been assaulted. They didn’t know where it was and asked me to show them.
On other thing that happened a couple of years ago in a track day… I was invited to be the co pilot of Mr Giannone (old Velocity National Champion) in his 911. Nice burning and fast summer afternoon it was!

Any ambitions?:

Yes, start my life in some other place. This doesn’t mean I would leave everything behind. It’s that sometimes I feel some kind of enthusiasm about going to north. I’ve been in Holland just for 3 mouths a couple of years ago but I really love it. Who knows?

What do you like most about Alfaowner forum?

For a start and for ending everything.
Cheers guys and girls!! When I did that avatar – The AO family I was just answering this question!

Any favourite threads, posts you wish to share?

There’s one, and it’s recent… Take a look at my post on this topic, it was a pleasure to remember that… “Weirdos I have known” http://www.alfaowner.com/forum/cgi/u...;f=24;t=000371

[CENTER]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 32 Old 13-11-02 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Thank you Hugo... I hope you get to move to the North if thats what you desire?

My neighbours house is up for sale if it helps you? (London) lol......
Ivo
AO Gold Member

" .... I’ve been in Holland just for 3 mouths a couple of years ago but I really love it. ..."

Ah, Hugo, now you're talking
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

Hugo,

Nice story and let us hope your new favourite trip will come true ;o)

Selespeed
GTV6

nice one, Hugo - the Fiat Tipo turned tent sounded like a laugh!

cheers,

g

AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

Hugo147,

Very entertaining story! Thanx mate! wink
AO Gold Member

County: Antwerpen
Thanks for the interview, Hugo.. Good to see you would like to come to Belgium
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Friends, thank you for your king words. It was really a pleasure to answer those questions Thank you Pete and Ian to get me on the AO hall of fame!

I was trying to be condensed in the answers but sometimes it’s difficult. For any new line I was writing new things were flashing my mind. I also forgot to say I don’t have kids.

About going north I have to say that, this idea came a long time ago. I suppose you might think I’m crazy, living good weather, hot summers and nice seaside… I known well my country but I’ve been also in other places… From North Africa (Ceuta and Melila), Gibraltar, Sardenha island, to Napoles, Roma, Monaco, Nimes, Marseille, Paris and Challon sur Marne, from London to Leicester, Koln and in every big and small places in Holland… (Sorry Wimster I don’t know Belgium, but I might have a good chance to know it next April!!)
From this small list, two places became remarkable to me: England and Holland for many different things. Rain and cold weather don't fright me, really. As a matter of fact, I really like cold weather, and 12 degrees below zero don’t scare me. Beyond this climatic condition, the sunlight, quite different from Mediterranean has also something special. All the ambient, the culture, the architecture, all this make my mind.

So, who knows…

Hugo Sá
(2011) Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Pack Sport 17", Pack Comfort
(2009) Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTDm 16V QV, 170hp+360nm, Bilstein B4+TI springs, ConnectNav G2, Autodelta Air filter, Brembo Disks, Satin Mirror Caps
(2002/2009) Alfa Romeo 147, 1.6TS QV, Autodelta Remap, Autodelta Air filter, Eibach Pro System Kit

Social and Automotive Sports Photography
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

Hugo,

The reply I gave was just a quick one because I was busy at work.

I always have found the Y a very adorable car. Especially the turbo was a little bomb. And a about your dream cars: you have good taste my man!

About moving up north: did you ever think about Luxemburg? It is still close enough to join every 147 meeting ;0) It has a beautiful nature and lots of twisty roads and the lowest fuel prices of Europe.

The only thing I missed in the interview was your website and the very nice flashmovie you have. You're site has not to much content, but I like the design very much. Keep up the good work!

Selespeed
AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Sorry Hugo,I forgot to put the question in about the website,as I did in Selespeeds.Mr Selespeeds interview will follow shortly!Its nice to get a perspective of Alfa ownership in other countries.

Regards Pete
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

Hugo,

So you lived in Morocco (Ceuta and Melila)? For how long and when did you live there?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by selespeed:
<strong>Hugo,

The reply I gave was just a quick one because I was busy at work.

I always have found the Y a very adorable car. Especially the turbo was a little bomb. And a about your dream cars: you have good taste my man!

About moving up north: did you ever think about Luxemburg? It is still close enough to join every 147 meeting ;0) It has a beautiful nature and lots of twisty roads and the lowest fuel prices of Europe.

The only thing I missed in the interview was your website and the very nice flashmovie you have. You're site has not to much content, but I like the design very much. Keep up the good work!

Selespeed</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hans, many thanks
You are right, the Y is a very adorable car.
The Y10 (first with the brand Autobianchi then Lancia) had some nice performance. The Turbo was, as you sayed, a litle bomb. After, it had the 1.3 with 75bhp. Nice to wink

Luxemburg... I never thought about that. It's an idea. Uhmm and the fuel price I must go there

Thank's also to remind about my website.
I'm thinking about add some information about how to clean the interior and exterior.
For those of you that don't know, check my website, and in the first page, look at a bleu F, at the left down corner. Ther's the Flash
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Pete:
<strong>Sorry Hugo,I forgot to put the question in about the website,as I did in Selespeeds.Mr Selespeeds interview will follow shortly!Its nice to get a perspective of Alfa ownership in other countries.

Regards Pete</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No problem Pete!! That's ok mate wink

I'm expecting now Sele interview

Cheers
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Alfa 147 Distinctive:
<strong>Hugo,

So you lived in Morocco (Ceuta and Melila)? For how long and when did you live there?</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ih ih I've never lived ther Mel. Just vacations mate, just vacations wink
Nemesis

Thanks Hugo, I always like reading your posts, especially your version of the English language! It always reminds me of some Italian Formula 1 star being interviewed (in that he always understands the question, but just can't quite articulate the response!).
An example for all our amusement...
'I give it (in a small scale) to children with 10-12 years old' !!!
and my favourite...
'As a subjacent concept I have about cars that Alfa turns real - a car is to be driven and not drive himself'.

The site would be a lot duller without you Hugo and gems such as these!

AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Before I send these interviews to Ian for posting,I always debate whether I should correct some of the English,but fear they will lose some of their charm if I change them! Still I shouldn`t take the **** because I couldn`t even begin to make myself understood if I was to write in Portugese!!!!
(Post Link) post #17 of 32 Old 14-11-02 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Whoops, I actually edited some english, I will not touch them in the future...

Selespeed up next!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

Were do I sign up for an interview form?
GTV6

yup, leave them un-edited - we know what you're trying to say and as Pete says, it adds more charm to the interview, like they have their own 'voice' if that makes any sense?

g

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Nemesis:
<strong>Thanks Hugo, I always like reading your posts, especially your version of the English language! It always reminds me of some Italian Formula 1 star being interviewed (in that he always understands the question, but just can't quite articulate the response!).
An example for all our amusement...
'I give it (in a small scale) to children with 10-12 years old' !!!
and my favourite...
'As a subjacent concept I have about cars that Alfa turns real - a car is to be driven and not drive himself'.

The site would be a lot duller without you Hugo and gems such as these!

</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's a personal touch I like to give wink
I could make it right but it wouldn't be the same, would it?
Nem, I really like your comment: "reminds me of some Italian Formula 1 star being interviewed".

It seams like some one discovered my disguise
AO Member

Hugo,
Great interview and your English is excellent. we may joke about it but only because any mistakes you make frequently gain very amusing overtones!
Just remember you speak far better English than 90% of the population of the Uk and write better english than 95% of us! If you don't believe me you should try and arrange an exchange with a UK inner city schoolteacher and see how bad our standards really are!
(Post Link) post #22 of 32 Old 14-11-02 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

Member car:

Maserati GTS

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by nervous:
<strong>Hugo,
try and arrange an exchange with a UK inner city schoolteacher and see how bad our standards really are!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">spaek for yerselv! eek!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

I almost forgot I had an interview somewhere around here wink Well... not exactly wink

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> you should try and arrange an exchange with a UK inner city schoolteacher <hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Any chance to get an exchange with Belgian or Dutch teachers? wink
FabrizioGiovanardi

Hugo, congratulations about the interview.
I can't wait for the next 3000 posts...keep going
About the north trip...yep i feel the desire to go sometimes...but to Italy, i just LOVE that country, those people and those cars...oh man, that's a divine hand on the country for sure!

Nice interview my friend wink

AO Member

Member car:

147 1.9 JTD 16V

H,

Great story, alway nice to read something more about the Ao-ers.
It's great because you can "draw" a picture of the person behind it.

I hope to meet you too in April!

Greetz
D

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
147 , hugo , interviewed