Rappallo - Interviewed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 59 Old 29-09-02 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Rappallo - Interviewed

Alfa Owner member review:

Forum name: Rapallo
Lives: in Lancashire

What cars do you drive and why?
I drive all sorts of cars due to the nature of my work but I do have a rather eclectic fleet of oddballs!
Firstly my main car is a 166 3.0 Super Lusso. I travel to Italy frequently and just find it a superb long distance car with lots of space, loads of power and distinctive looks, it’s a thirsty beast though!
I also have a 164 3.0 Auto which I bought for 50, I tend to use it for long journeys in the UK when I know I’ll be leaving it somewhere dodgy, Liverpool for example. I still think the 164 is one of the most reliable cars Alfa have ever built.
My fun car is a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, yes I’d rather have a GTV 3.0 but even I can’t find one for 6000! It’s very fast, good fun but not very confidence inspiring, must admit I think I’m going to replace it with another GTV V6 Turbo – my next girlfriend will have to put up with LHD
I have a Punto 60S for errands and local use, I’ll probably keep this car for ever.
In Italy at my Uncles vineyard I have a 90 2.5 Gold Cloverleaf and a 6 2.5 sat in a barn. As you can tell I love big saloons, the rarer and stranger the better!

What started your passion for Alfa Romeo?
My first glimpse of the outside world was from my carry-cot on the back seat of my old man’s GT Junior a week after I was born. I suppose I’ve inherited my love of Alfas from my family. My father is an Italophile Englishman who has worked extensively in Italy and my mother is Italian, coming from a family of car lovers. The first Alfa experience I can actually remember is of my father test driving an ivory Giulietta in the late 70s, he didn’t buy it because the rear transmission tunnel prevented me from standing up in the back between the front seats, he bought a Lancia Beta saloon instead which turned out to be a great car. My first car on passing my test was an Alfasud Green Cloverleaf, finally I knew what driving an Alfa was all about. My passion is frequently under trial but I don’t think the light will ever go out.

What do you like most about Alfas?
It’s probably the brand more than the cars to me as you’ve probably deduced. I love the ‘Italian-ness’, the engine sound, the fact they are all designed with the quick driver in mind. I like the fuss free interiors and the way they come across that they have been designed by human beings with a passion for driving on traffic free, twisty, Italian roads. In Alfas less popular UK days I loved the fact I was driving a rare, quirky car, these days that feeling has diminished some what.

What do you like least about Alfas?
I know this sounds selfish and is counter productive to my job but I don’t like the way that they seem to have toned down the quirkiness in recent years. Their appeal has widened too far in that people are buying Alfas for different reasons now, you know longer feel like you belong to an exclusive club any more, although this website has enlightened me that real Alfa people still exist in the UK.

My main gripe has to be the UK dealer network and the incompetence of Alfa GB. Improvements seem to be on the way but until there is a huge clear out of staff at Slough I’m afraid the woes will continue. You could man it with people off this site and do a better job.

What Alfas have you owned?
This is going to be a long list, I’ll do it in car order;
Giulia Super 1.6
Giulia Sprint GT 1.6
Spider 2000 Veloce
Giulietta 1.8
Alfasud 1.5Ti Green Cloverleaf
Alfasud 1.5 SC
Alfasud Sprint 1.5 Green Cloverleaf
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Alfetta GTV6 2.5
33 1.5 Ti
33 1.7 Cloverleaf
75 1.8 Turbo
75 2.0 TS x 3
75 3.0 V6
75 3.0 V6 Green Cloverleaf
90 2.0 Motronic
90 2.5 Gold Cloverleaf
6 2.5
145 2.0 Cloverleaf
164 2.0 V6 Turbo
164 3.0 Lusso
164 3.0 24V Super
164 3.0 Auto
GTV 2.0 V6 Turbo
166 3.0 Super x 3

Some of these cars I only owned for a few months and some I owned while living in Italy. My attitude in life is that I wish to own as many different types of cars as possible. I don’t get emotionally attached to any car.

Which was your favourite and why?
It’s impossible to answer with just one car. My favourites are the Giulia Super, Spider 2000 Veloce, GTV6 2.5, 164 V6 Turbo, GTV V6 Turbo and my current 166.

I suppose the 164 V6 Turbo gives me the fondest memories of the best time of my life, living in Italy: Italian roads, Italian girls and 260 bhp through the front wheels!!

How did you get into the car business?
I have a degree in Italian and Marketing, graduated in 1995 and I then I lived in Italy for 18 months doing fun jobs such as teaching English to 18 year old girls, working in a bar, delivering cars, messing with boats oh and getting an Italian marketing qualification. Back to reality, returned to England at the end of 1996, sold Alfas for 6 months at a dealer in southern England, got bored of working with ******s and so got into the Ad Agency world which even more full of ******s! After 3 years of pressure but very good money I packed in and became a car dealer, working for myself and enjoying every minute.

What would be your dream cars?
The obvious Ferrari’s, Lambos, Pagani etc but at the more affordable end I would love an SZ! I also have a hankering for an 80s Maserati Quattroporte!

What was your first car?
Alfasud Ti Green Cloverleaf

What is the worst car you’ve ever owned?
Alfa 33 1.7 Green Cloverleaf – it was just a bad example, big ends went 2 days after I bought it from some ******* in the RAC who’d filled the sump with the thickest oil ever!

What would be your ideal drive in an Alfa, (destination, passenger, driving music, etc)?
I love the autostrada from Milano to Genova. This sounds odd but I love driving on my own and would certainly prefer to listen to the engine than a CD on this road!

What interests do you have outside of Alfas? (eg TV`s, fascist dictators, Aussies, etc………….)
I follow football, I try to watch Sampdoria several times a year. I like to read about Italian culture and history, yes Il Duce is one of my favourite subjects. Also a bit of a wine enthusiast.

What do you like most about Alfaowner forum? Any favourite threads, posts you wish to share?
It’s good to hear from like minded Alfa enthusiasts who aren’t bearded old fogies! I love the banter, yes I like being devil’s advocate from time to time, but mostly I say what I feel.

Who on the forum would you most like to meet and why?
I’d like to keep it virtual thanks!

Three Alfatastic words to finish:
Do it Now!

[CENTER]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 59 Old 29-09-02 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Thank you Rapallo, for taking the time to answer our questions.
Ivo
AO Gold Member

Oi Rappallo, my god man. With that impressive Alfa car history you have... you can enter posts in all lounges
Rapallo

And I haven't even mentioned the non Alfas I've had!!

(Post Link) post #5 of 59 Old 02-10-02 Thread Starter
Founder of AO

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Would you dare on an Alfa board? Can we slate you if they are bad?

Feel free to do so, Ive owned a vauxhall and had a chrysler at some stage of my life! (Oh yeah an XR2 too!)

Did I really admit to that?
Rapallo

Here goes;

Fiat Punto 60 S
Fiat Tipo 2.0 16V
Fiat Ritmo Abarth 130
Fiat 130 Coupe
Lancia Ypsilon 1.1
Lancia Beta Coupe 1.3
Ferrari Mondial t 3.4
Porsche 911 Carrera 2

Ivo
AO Gold Member

Only 1 non-italian, but we (at least I) can forgive you

I bet you never owned a DAF, like I did once (1st car)....
GTV6

you reckon half Italian/half English is dodgy...try half Italian/half Polish for a match made in hell. He's says pasta, she says food shortage. He say's garden, she says vegetable plot.

g

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

04 147 GTA

Rapallo, you're 29 and you've managed to actually own all of those cars?! Are you sure you owned them and not in fact just driven all of them?

Doesnt add up. And of course, no one on here can be substantiated for who they are or what they say.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

04 147 GTA

In fact the more I read this, the more I dont believe it. Rapallo, I know you dont care if I think this or not, but I dont believe you.

You claim to own 4 164's for example, three of which are 3L. Who buys 3 3l 164s? What can possibly so important about buying 3 164s of the same kind? And more to the point, why? Im all for buying different alfas but owning 4 164s? 6 75s?
Rapallo

Owned them all.

From the age of 17 to 21 I used to buy knackered Alfas (sprint, giulia, giulietta, suds, 90s, 75s etc), run them for 3 months or so doing them up a bit and sell them on. I've always had at least 3 cars at any one time and some of the cars I went halves with my old man such as the Spider and 911 Carrera 2.

Cars I had for a reasonable length of time were my Alfasud Ti, Giulia Super, 145 Cloverleaf, GTV V6 Turbo and Ferrari Mondial.

In fact the Mondial lasted the longest 1998 to 2000!

There's probably some more I can't remember!

AO Silver Member

Member car:

04 147 GTA

Oh a Ferrari and a Porsche too!

Okay Rapallo, if you say so. Look at it from my side, you may be telling the truth but it seems very unlikely. Plus you refuse to say who you are and your company name. Yet you expect people to believe all this. Put your money where you mouth is.

We can all come on here and pretend to be something we are not. Live our fantasies etc.
GTV6

Aisha - does it honestly make an iota of difference to you if Rap has or hasn't owned them? His story is, I think, plausible. And even if it does turn out to be a crock of shi5e, who cares?

g

AO Silver Member

Member car:

04 147 GTA

oh ffs. bye.
Rapallo

You can believe what you like Aisha!

In the last 5 years I've probably owned less than 10 cars. Most of the cars on that list were owned while I was at University (I commuted from home). I just used to buy cheap and nasty Alfas out of Loot and Auto Trader, run them for 2-3 months and sell them on for a bit of profit. I class them as 'my' cars as I actually ran them - I was on my Uncles motor trade policy!

The 911 cost 13000 in 1997 and was a Belgian import (shared with my old man, I sold my share to him in 1998 ), the Mondial cost 16000 in 1998 and was an Italian import.

Today I sell/broker about 300 Alfas a year. I have my 'own' cars which I keep for 6-12 months, usually ones I've bought cheaply and know I won't make a huge loss on.

Cars are a numbers game to me, as I've said I rarely get attached to one particular example.

GTV6

don't be like that, Aisha. If Rap's making it up, then more fool him. While I'd like to think he respects us enough not to try and pull the wool over our eyes, when I go home it doesn't make any difference to me what Rap has said or not said today or what cars he has owned. After all, I don't him, and it's unlikely we'll meet, so I'm not going to overly concern myself about his posts. If you think I'm wrong, just say so...pls don't just go off in a huff. wink

g

AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Aish,you definitely need a beer,mate!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

04 147 GTA

Im back. I needed a dump badly.

Look, I said earlier it may be true but I dont like billy bull****ters in real life or virtual. Im finding it hard to believe some of these claims. Aren't I entitled to put my opinion across? As usual I stand (sit) alone....

Bahaa, Bahaa ( thats supposed to be sheep noises )
Rapallo

check your PM aisha.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

04 147 GTA

Now check yours Rapallo. You've really done it this time.
Rapallo

Exactly!!

AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Aisha:
<strong>Im back. I needed a dump badly.

Look, I said earlier it may be true but I dont like billy bull****ters in real life or virtual. Im finding it hard to believe some of these claims. Aren't I entitled to put my opinion across? As usual I stand (sit) alone....

Bahaa, Bahaa ( thats supposed to be sheep noises )</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Of course everyones entitled to their opinion.I just don`t feel the need to air mine on this particular subject.I don`t have any reason to doubt Raps claims.Most car dealers I have known change their cars as regularly as their underpants!
PS Aish Hope you wiped your arse properly or else you might need to change yours.

Some days you`re the statue and some days you`re the pigeon
Siro

What we all really want to know is what the PM said?

Rapallo

Let's just say the Rabbit is out of the hat and the cat is amongst the pigeons!

Siro

Meaning?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

Tags
interviewed , rappallo

« - | Ivo Interviewed »