A Christmassy Interview! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 25-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA

A Christmassy Interview!

Because its Christmas, and because I’ve been in the pub all night drinking coke (designated driver) I now cannot sleep because of the caffeine overdose…so to kill some time before the jolly fat man gets here, I might as well have a crack at this!

Your Forum name

Johno Cup

Real name

MA Student at Coventry University

Coventry/ Southport

Marital Status

Happily “married” in the eyes of my friends, but truthfully being in a relationship is the correct term for it I think.

which cars do you drive and why?

GTV Cup #33. Why? Because its a car I have wanted for a very long while and a beautiful example came up for sale a matter of days after selling my Nissan 200sx, so it'd have been rude not to!

Are you a real passionate for Alfa Romeo?

I’d say no. Only because I am a massive petrol head and as such feel no affiliation to any one brand. I like to feel my automotive love extends to many a manufacturer!

What or how started your passion for Alfa Romeo and…
….do you think it’s fundamental to own one to have the passion?

I’d probably say Gabriele Tarquini’s 1994 Alfa Romeo 155 BTCC car kick started my love and admiration for the brand…since then there have been a string of cars that have sustained my love for Alfa, and taking the time to look back over the history of Alfa, there are many a car from the back catalogue I would do awful things to own!

I don’t think it’s fundamental to own an Alfa to be passionate about it, so no, not at all. They are one of the very few brands of car on the road that can create such feelings simply by just looking at it.

I feel an Alfa is a car every one can enjoy, because lets face it, whether people like to admit it or not, everyone loves an Alfa.

Would you ever consider joining an Alfa Club or are you already a member of one?

Yes, must defiantly.

What do you like most about Alfas?

As clichéd as this is, the fact they have a soul, character and a personality almost, I’ve only owned mine a few weeks, but each and every time I look at it, fire it up or drive it, I smile.

And that noise…..

What do you like least about Alfas?

I’m going to avoid the crass stereotype of bad build quality as I think it’s unjust. The thing I like the least about Alfa, mine at least, is the rear visibility. I think I can see more looking through a letter box, at night, with my eyes shut.

What would be your dream cars?

We could be here a while with this….but a very condensed dream garage would be;

Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
BMW 2002tii
Subaru Impreza 22B
Spyker C8 Laviolette
Ferrari 250 GT California
TVR Sagaris
Lancia Delta Evolution 2
Alfa Romeo Giulia GT 1300 Junior
Jag E-Type
Porsche 968 Clubsport

I could go on, but it would just get tedious!

What car would you least like to drive?

I have a habit of seemingly finding a positive in anything, if it has four wheels and a motor, I’ll drive it….however a MPV does rate as something I’d avoid until I’m married with kids!

For you, what’s the most popular thread on AO?

Hard to say as I haven’t been around that long, do enjoy looking in the spotted threads….only to be disappointed!

What would be your ideal drive in an Alfa (destination, passenger, driving music, etc)?

It would be the Giulia GT mentioned above…and as much as I would love to do the Stelvio pass down to lake Garda, it now seems a little unimaginative, so I’d like to take the car up through Europe, through Denmark across the Oresund Bridge then up toward the North pole.

Passenger would have to be Scarlett Johansson, listening to something like Bat for Lashes, Moby or something equally as chilled….

Ahh…I can dream!

Any humorous Alfa or car-related stories you wish to share with us?

I once managed to pin my hand between a scissor jack and the car once, when the car slipped and in a vain attempt to preserve the paint work of my previous car, decided to put my hand in the way, only for me to be pinned to the car for a good fifteen minutes before a friend found me! Wasn’t that humorous at the time, but on reflection I can laugh I guess!

What interests do you have outside of Alfas?

I use to race Karts up until going to University, I enjoy drawing and designing stuff in 3d – I did a BA in Transport & Product design, I enjoy writing etc….other than that, just the usual stuff lads do!

Tell us something nobody knows about you. (E.g. special skill, ever been on TV, etc)

Erm…nothing in particular springs to mind! I once shattered my tibia and fibular in my left leg when mountain biking, and now one leg is shorter than the other! Hardly a special skill, but not a lot of people know that…so please feel privileged in the knowledge of that!

Do you have a party trick? If so what is it?

I can drink Sambuca like its going out of fashion, but then again that’s hardly anything to be proud of or a skill...or a party trick...so no, I guess I don't!

What do you like most about the Alfaowner forum? Any favourite threads, episodes or people?

I think the whole forum seems a very friendly place to be with some very knowledgeable people who seem to genuinely know their onions, rather than guesstimating like some people on other forums seem to do!

If you had £50,000 you had to spend in 72 hours, how would you choose to spend it?

Probably buy an Ariel Atom, take it to a track and drive it to destruction!

I have waffled, I appreciate this, but the coke is seemingly taking a long while to wear off!

Thanks for reading and a Merry Christmas to anyone who reads!

Last edited by johno_cup; 25-12-09 at 01:15.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Limburg
Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing John!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

christmassy , interview