147 2.0 Selespeed - should I buy??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Introduce Yourself Again... No technical questions in here

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 24-10-09 Thread Starter
County: Bristol

Member car:

Fiat Panda...

147 2.0 Selespeed - should I buy???

Hi all

I'm currently driving a Fiat Panda (economy reasons) and am trying to trade down to something - a lot - more interesting. And Alfas are very attractive at this point!
I am entirely happy with the amount of cashback i'm going to get, but a little worried about the reliability of the model and potential / likely future costs.

It's an 03 147 2.0TS Selespeed Lusso with 61,500 miles. It looks in good order, except for a broken bonnet latch.
I asked the dealer the key question about the cambelt change. They are checking this on Monday, but I doubt that this has been done (possibly ever).
If I can't get them to do it or work out a deal should I steer clear altogether? Might it be already damaged by the neglect?

I have a holding deposit on it, but should be able to get it back if I find the servicing schedule hasn't been followed (ad says full service history).

Any thoughts?

Thanks muchly
Sponsored Links
welcome to AO Matt...

yep it needs a full service history....originally the cambelt and tensioners were changed at 72k on the schedule....so you may well find they have not been changed....a 36k or 3 years (whichever is sooner) is the preferred option..if the servicing has taken place there should be no damage due to the cambelt not be changed other than the risk of it snapping in the future and the knock on effect of that happening....an approx figure of getting the belt and tensioners sorted (you may well need to change the water pump as well) is 300 from a reputable indie and upto and over 500 from a main dealer...you can use the search option up top to see any recommended indies in your area...in my experience the 2.0 ts is a surprisingly fiesty set up which gives good performance against a reasonable mpg return...keep it well serviced and you should have no problems (as with any engine)...oil check is a weekly check though as some do like to drink it ....make sure you have both sets of keys as they do cost circa 130 to get cut and programmed...

best of luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > The Alfaowner Experience > Newbie Area > Introduce Yourself

147 , buy , selespeed